Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Crazed Painter
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this link today...Woaaaaaaaaaah! :eek:

Benz, Porsche, Audi, BMW..etc.

After looking at this link I now can realy see how the VW bug came to be.
The 1934 Porsche Tpe 32 shows signs but, many other manufactures also look similar of the times. Very Interesting!! :cool: :)

Give it about 30 seconds or less to get you in...CLICK BELOW AND ENJOY!! :hat:

http://www.flickriver.com/groups/[email protected]/pool/interesting/

Don't think that this ends when you get to the bottom of the page.
It will keep on loading up new pictures.

Bob...this could take a few hours to see...zilla

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
Hey!!! Picture 45 +/- is interesting!!! Looks like the type of ride someone who shoots icesickers out of his fingers would want to drive!! :lol: :tongue:

Cool link Bob!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
The Adler Super Trumpf looks like inspiration for the split window vette. The Germans make some neat cars when they aren't trying to take over the world.

·
Registered
299 Posts
We had to go to war cause nobody wanted to buy those cars at the time.

Just joking.

I thing the design of the beetle was just in the air, kind of Zeitgeist. Streamlining was the thing, it was modern. Everyone tried to have their cars to look that way. Porsche actually created its first Beetle like car under auspices of Zuendapp.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zündapp

BTW Did you know that Horch and Audi were founded by the same guy August Horch. Being thrown out of the company bearing his name so he utilized the Latin form of his name to name for his new company. Audi! Later on during the great depression and under pressure from the Saxonien banks Audi, Horch, Wanderer and DKW were forced to merge under the umbrella of Auto Union, which was founded only for this purpose. therefore the signet of four joining rings representing the companies. Until '45 only racing cars were produce dunder the moniker Auto Union. The arly V16 ones being a Porsche design.The others kept on trading under eachs name. After the war the companies as being in the Soviet Zone of Germany came under State ownership. DKW m/c factory became MZ. Audi and Horch were merged again and produced the "famous" Trabant.
Auto Union was refounded in the west and sold cars first under the DKW name and later on under Audi. In the mid/late it AU was first sold to Daimler Benz and later on to Volkswagen were it still is today. And the head of Porsche is a grandson of Ferdinand Porsche.

Mario

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
We had to go to war cause nobody wanted to buy those cars at the time.

Just joking.

I thing the design of the beetle was just in the air, kind of Zeitgeist. Streamlining was the thing, it was modern. Everyone tried to have their cars to look that way. Porsche actually created its first Beetle like car under auspices of Zuendapp.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zündapp

BTW Did you know that Horch and Audi were founded by the same guy August Horch. Being thrown out of the company bearing his name so he utilized the Latin form of his name to name for his new company. Audi! Later on during the great depression and under pressure from the Saxonien banks Audi, Horch, Wanderer and DKW were forced to merge under the umbrella of Auto Union, which was founded only for this purpose. therefore the signet of four joining rings representing the companies. Until '45 only racing cars were produce dunder the moniker Auto Union. The arly V16 ones being a Porsche design.The others kept on trading under eachs name. After the war the companies as being in the Soviet Zone of Germany came under State ownership. DKW m/c factory became MZ. Audi and Horch were merged again and produced the "famous" Trabant.
Auto Union was refounded in the west and sold cars first under the DKW name and later on under Audi. In the mid/late it AU was first sold to Daimler Benz and later on to Volkswagen were it still is today. And the head of Porsche is a grandson of Ferdinand Porsche.

Mario
Good stuff!

I think at one time I actually had service manuals for a few Zundapp bikes.Long time ago.I remember reading quite a bit about them,probably like 35 years ago.

I know the whole story with Ferdinand Porsche and how Hitler contracted him to build the people's car,aka Volkswagen.

Wiki tells it better:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Porsche

Mike

·
Registered
299 Posts
I know Wiki tells it better, just wanted to give a short brief.

Amazing feature of the Zuendapp flat twins of the 40's and 50's had been the gearbox. Instead of cogs it had chains for the gears. A fact that makes them hard to restore as drive chains of that dimension are no longer produced. Maybe someone had a batch made to order by now but according to my knowledge they are still thin on the ground.

Some Zuendapps sold in the state in the 50s had been actually rebatched Horex.

Mario

1 - 6 of 6 Posts