Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At this point, the Carpet Racing League will live for another season. I may need some help with it this season, so if there are a few folks interested in getting involved and making/enforcing decisions, please contact me.

Since last year's attendance was down from the previous two years, changes are necessary. We went from a series that averaged 100 racers at each monthly race down to 50. I can't pinpoint one strong reason for the drop in attendance, but maybe it was a little bit of a number of things? No need to re-hash last year, but if you can think of something that really bothered you about the CRL, please feel free to drop me an e-mail.

Here are the details for 2004/2005 as they stand today. A few items left to work out. Would like some opinions on the open issues.

Tracks: Larry's in Sterling Heights, MI, Josh Cyrul's track in Toledo, OH and The Hobby Hub in Lansing, MI. All three tracks are putting in new carpet to start the season. All three are top-notch tracks... really the best in the area. Plus, hopefully the close proximity of these three tracks will encourage racers to travel. Each track will host 2 races.

Points: Same as last year, straight 100, 99, 98, etc. with an extra point for TQ. Best 4 of 5 races... provides one drop of your lowest score. The 6th race of the year will be a fun run with prizes, a body paint competition for use with a 10 driver invitational format, plus awarding of the season points trophies.

Entry fees: $20 per class

Race day awards: Trophies or prizes? Looking for your feedback. I think the experienced racers like prizes and the beginners like trophies?

Current classes: 1/12th stock, 1/12th Mod, 1/10th Touring Stock, 1/10th Touring 19 turn and 1/10th Touring Mod. What other classes have a real chance of pulling a good showing of like 8 to 15 racers? F1? Brushless? 1/18th? 1/10th pan car? Legends? Looking for your feedback.

Race dates: We will race on Saturday's this year. Lansing and Larry's both race on Sunday's and we want to avoid pulling away their weekly racers to the CRL. Plus, Larry's does some great weekly series during the year that many racers told me they would like to run, along with the CRL. I would like to start the CRL the last Saturday in October. What races dates do you know of that we should work around to avoid conflicts with regional or national level events? Holloween Classic? U.S. Indoor Champs? Asphault Worlds? What else?

Since I only race remotes in the winter, I am really looking forward to the first CRL. It's always been a fun series and I think the format changes will help. Again, feel free to e-mail or call me if you have additional suggestions that you don't want to post here.

Thanks,
Keith

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
David - I put quite a bit of thought into how to award the races this year. We always have really strong attendance in Lansing, Detroit and Toledo. The majority of the racers in the CRL call one of these three tracks home. Last season, many of the core CRL racers didn't travel past a 1.5 or 2 hour drive. I just felt that it needed to be narrowed up for this season in an effort to get attendance back up to near 100. I think another season of attendance of 50 or less will be it for me. Some tracks pull bigger club races. If all races are low turn outs, that's when I'll know that the CRL concept is dead and gone.

I know that some won't be pleased with that decision, but I feel that changes were necessary to reignite the series. I feel for those clubs, but maybe someone will start another series for Indiana and Ohio. Then we could have a season end shootout for big trophies and bragging rights.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
What time do your races start?When do you think you will have some dates?Do you guys have a Novice class?As my buddy just got his car and has yet to race it.He plans on coming with me.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I am cool with that, Keith. I just got back from Ultra and they aren't good enough for this series. Those 3 look great.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No novice class, but the series still attracts beginners. We usually get a big enough crowd that people end up racing with others at or near their skill level anyway. I personally think that novice classes are the responsibility of local club racing. A series like the CRL provides a good chance to up the competition a little bit, but still race against others close to your level. You'll learn a ton from the racers in the CRL. Plus, where else can you go to watch the A-main level drivers race, being separated by only 5 or 6 seconds? You could drive to Cleveland to see this level of competition or you could see in closer to your home at the CRL.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tafog said:
yes it will not make some of us happy you got that....

have fun this year see you at Cleveland

Tracey
Tracy - instead of trophies or prizes this year, should we award gas vouchers for you distance drivers? I'm not sure the series can afford to fill up Lee's van - plus with his lead foot and jack rabbit starts eating up 10 miles to the gallon. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
no need for gas vouchers here...

Racing in Fort Wayne is top notch... we got new carpet last year remember.

Tracey

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Tom, how did you guess. I was two steps off the stand and the lights over the pits went out. They kept the lights over the cash register on. I had to pack in the dark. Then they complained that I didn't pack fast enough. Go figure?

·
Registered
262 Posts
David--I tried to catch up with you at the gas nats. but I was only there on Thu. and you looked busy. I'll be seeing you on the carpet soon. I am hoping to have more time to travel to different tracks to test for Cleveland. It will be on a weekday though. Let me know where you will be running.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Hi Adam. My plan is to run Hallo Hobbies on Saturday and NORCAR on Sunday. Still searching for the best weekday location. Any ideas within reason?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
David,
Not to hijack Hammy's thread, but you could come up to FTW and a few of us would run 12th with you on Tuesday nights. The F1 thing will be twice a month, maybe you could schedule the off weeks to run here with us, if we aren't too slow? I know at least Scott and myself would run 12th stock or mod with you.

-Sean

·
Registered
452 Posts
davidl said:
I am cool with that, Keith. I just got back from Ultra and they aren't good enough for this series. Those 3 look great.
OUCH!!! It's true though!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Great News Keith ,

You know I'll be attending , I my even run two class's, 1/12th and 19t touring .

Bob

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
What classes are most folks going to run?

I am not sure if I am going to run much TC if folks would be interesting in racing mod 1/12th in addition to stock 1/12th.

-Rich

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Keith, I guess you are saying that we will run the entire show in one day, Saturday? That is pretty ambicious. Do you have a schedule so I can plan my winter?

1 - 20 of 145 Posts