Votes: 59 51.8%
  • I will seldom travel over 300 miles to any race

Votes: 21 18.4%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a pole to try and determine if racers prefer only one type of Oval racing or do they do more than one type. Please be honest with this because the final results will be a factor that will be considered in a much bigger decision that will be announced at a later date.

Do you only race on carpet tracks without much interest in paved racing? Or do you only race on paved tracks without much interest in carpet racing? Or do you race both equally as the season changes? Also, how far will you travel to race? No explanation is needed, just an honest answer.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
What about me?

Lin; I see a problem with your poll. What about those of us who run carpet; but would like to try paved tracks? There's no place for us to vote. Or do you want us to vote as though we have actually tried a paved track? Thanks; Ernie P. :cool:

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
carpet oval..prefer flat but banked would be just as cool!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Simple reply Ernie, if you want to try paved.......come to Cooper's next season !!! LOL

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I prefer to race on pavement, concrete or asphalt, but I live in the midwest so carpet is the only alternative in the winter.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
asphalt is for racing,,, ummm rugs are for wiping your feet....

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Both!

I'm a carpet racer, and I've never run asphault; but I'd really like to try it! 300 miles? Yeah, for a big race, I'd do that. Thanks; Ernie P. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I prefer racing on banked outdoor paved tracks, but don't have much in my area. I end up traveling to a limited amount of races in the summer.
I like carpet racing also, more popular, but would like it if there was more paved racing available in this area.

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
I race what I can when I can. I would be happy to drive 300 miles to go to a big race if time allowed for it. Capped tires are awesome on outdoor banked tracks, but I also love carpet. I do not have a favorite. I just like to race.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Carpet but that doesn't mean I don't have any interest in paved. I ran on a banked concrete track about a year ago & loved it. I just wish there were some banked tracks closer to me. I've traveled well over 300 miles for big races & will do it again I'm sure.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I have been montoring the Big races this summer.

Cap Tire Races:
Roar nats at the Triclone, WI - 78 cars total - 57 guys not counting double entries
ARCOR open at Chatham, NC- 39 total guys (10 in stock, 12 in 19T)
Norrca nats at Showtime, CA - ??
Invitational race at Coopers, VA - I heard in the 20's
BMS spec nats - 100 +

Foam tire outdoor races
Firecracker race at Willow Mill, PA - 75 total entries
Fall Classic at Classic Hobbies, OH - 50 total entries, should have been about 65 but flooding kept some from attending.
Delaware Paved Oval race - Seaford - ?? I know they had about 30 in stock and ran 19T and mod at the race.

For these being non nats races the turnout is pretty impressive.

Is ROAR/NORRCA/ARCOR scaring people off ?

Are cap tires scaring people off due to the learning curve involved, what I mean by this is a carpet racer can adjust easier to asphalt tracks who run foams versus running caps for the first time?

Just trying to figure out the best way to get the nats attendence back up.
Is it time to take the paved nats to foam tire tracks?

Or simply or there just too many so called "Big Races" going on nowadays to where it's spreading the oval crowd too thin and making Nationals less important to guys.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
actually i find caps easier to use... everyone runs the same tires.. the ones that work... and most cars setup very close... and once u get the setup down, the car is basically fast for the season... there is minor tweaking but not much... on carpet, it seems week to week u have to reset the car up.. the track always changes alot.. u also have diff tire choices to run...

most of the guys who are average on carpet, seem to be really fast on asphalt... our current track record holder in stock is an average guy...a average joe also won the paved nats in stock,,, as him how well he can drive.. on caps when the car is diald, u can run just about any line and it will still be fast... i also like running one set of tires for a whole season...

15-20 each = 80 bucks roughly... for the season.. even if u have to buy two sets thats 160.00

foams.... 20-25 a pair... usually need 3-4 different tires so thats roughly 75 bucks... how many sets of foam do u go through??? i usually do 10 or more sets... thats well over 160 bucks...

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
One thing that discourages me is the so-called "Magic set" of caps.
I have litterally seen guys change to their one magic set and be a lap faster.
If the tires are not handout, then you are at a major disadvantage than the locals.
Cause you have no where to scrub in a set if you run a foam tire track in the summer. And you cant tell me that a fresh set is equally fast. I know better than that.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Eric, I vote with the "too many big races". It seems like there is a nats of some sort every other weekend, so I know for me, it has taken some of the importance out of it. There are also some paved tracks that have a regular attendance week in and week out of 40+ racers. I think with the cost of fuel this year!!!!! and the BIG race every month, folks are doing more picking and choosing about where they go.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Erock it all in how you break in the tires.If they are treated properly they all will be pretty close.At the paved Nats @ the Triclone it proved even more difficult than normal because of the cool weather.IMHO cap tire racing is not as popular because of the lack of venues and what is percieved as a cost issue to get started.Excluding the Nats I bought 9 tires this season total cost less that $180.I just placed my tire order for the start of the carpet season and I'm already over $200.Go to a big carpet race and you can spend that for 1 week.I like both but I would race caps year round if I could.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Hey Burbs, That quote belongs to Chris Cooper. LOL

"rugs are for wiping your feet and asphalt is for racing"---Chris Cooper 1-15-03

1 - 20 of 28 Posts