Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the smallest carpet oval you have raced on and had fun? 1/10 scale, 1/12 scale, overall size, lane width? The reason I ask is I'm planning to build a garage in the next few years and would like to put a track upstairs to race 1/12 scale or 1/18 scale oval.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
The smallest that I had a lot of fun on was about 88 feet. I raced 1/10th on a 77 foot track, and that was a little small. For 1/12th, and 18th scale that might work fine, but for 10th IMO it should be 85 feet or larger.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
We used to run oval 1/18th, 1/12th, and even 1/10th on this track. (road course is set up in this picture)

I believe the track was 44' long. I'm still impressed that we ran 1/10th on this short track.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
raced in an empty store in a mall once. 1/10 scale 6 cell oval did 103 laps in 4 mins.!
Not sure if a 103 2.3 laps would be fun or not? :drunk:

RugRatz in Macon Ga. is the smallest carpet track I,ve ever ran at it's 110'-120' runline 3.2s are common in 21.5 2c Fast FUN track and a great group of racers. Great size track!

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Not sure if a 103 2.3 laps would be fun or not?
You know what I've found that makes a track like that FUN?

WIDTH!

Having a really short inside run line, but a track with lanes wide enough to run 2 - 3 cars wide, with plenty of run off room at the end of the straights makes that kind of SHORT TRACK Fun!

But, I think generally if you have an outer box BIG enough to run WIDE LANES - you'll see Most tracks opt to make the lanes NARROW and the track length LONGER and Speeds FASTER (and more Crash filled)

BETTER for the GOOD racers - LESS Fun for the "Good Time" guys.

·
Registered
568 Posts
at my local track we do 140 to 143 laps in 6 mins,and the laps are 2.4 sec and the track was bumpy,but when u have a good car it is the funnest track .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm hoping to have an area large enough for about a 33' by 16' oval. I know this is too small for 1/10 scale and large enough for 1/18 scale. What about 1/12? What should lane width be?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I've run on a track that was about 75 feet long, but it was right on the linoleum floor. We raced Mabuchi motors with 1700mah 6 cell packs, I ran engine belt dressing on the tires and the floor was mopped with soda for grip. It was still slippery though, it was a hell of a challenge, and great fun, like racing on dirt. But that was a looong time ago, that's when I still had my Boling LTO as a spare car. The driver's stand was at one end of the track, not along a straight, which was pretty weird.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The track James posted the pic of,had a race line of 58'. We used to run 1/12 6 cell mod on a banked circle that was smaller. Don't know what size it was, but track record was 99 laps,in 4 minutes. Yeah 2 second lap times early in the run!!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
We had a super small banked track a few years back. 100 laps in 4 minutes. We had to do 3 lap single car qualifying to set up the heats to match people up accordingly because it was so tight. I think the best single lap was a 2.1 or a 2.2 second lap.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
We used to run oval 1/18th, 1/12th, and even 1/10th on this track. (road course is set up in this picture)

I believe the track was 44' long. I'm still impressed that we ran 1/10th on this short track.
What are the red and white turn makers made out of??? I am building a track and I am trying to find something like this!!!
Thanks

·
Registered
723 Posts
They are strips of plastic with red & white tape on them. Don't know the exact name of the stuff, but it's similiar to lexan, but white, and about 1/8 inch thick.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
I went to a local plastic company, and bought 4'x8'x 1/8" sheets of nylon ($110 each). I had them cut it into long 4" strips. I don't know if it was a specific type of nylon, they didn't say. It does work beautifully. It's the right amount of resistance for the corners. Just enough to slow them down and discourage people from hitting it, yet soft enough to keep the traffic flowing. The next track I built had 14 soft corners/flappers! Loads of fun, very little damage to the cars. Although the nylon is expensive, it's very durable. It's a one time investment. We've been using them non-stop for years. We use them in our oval infield as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts