Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Racer
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been tossing this idea around for a while. I thought it'd be pretty cool if we could have a "power ranking" for all racers across the country who travel to races. So I've come up with a system which takes into account car counts, quality/depth of ability, and prestige to make a ranking of racers in three Divisions. The purpose of the divisions being broader rather than class by class is twofold. One, it makes it easier for me (less to keep track of), and two it allows regional classes to compete even if they're not TOUR classes. With this being the first time doing this, there are sure to be bugs, but I won't be changing the way I do points until we can run through a whole season and see how it shakes out. Please bear with me and feel free to make suggestions to make this thing better.
Sportsman Division
---TOUR Sportsman Truck, HCOT 21.5 LM, etc.
Stock Division
---TOUR 17.5 Stock Car, TOUR/BRL 13.5 COT, etc.
Pro Stock Division
---TOUR 13.5 Open, 12th Scale, etc.

Listed at the bottom of this page will be the schedule of events that will be included in the ranking. If you have an event or know of one you think should be added, please let me know. If I don't receive full results or don't have access to them I cannot include them. If you have results to send me, please send to [email protected] or link to them here.

Rankings based on best three races!
Full standings to be posted on ovalrc.com

Sportsman Division Power Ranking 11/25/12
1. Rick Lohr (OH) - 35.60
2. Keith Price (OH) - 29.66
3. Kevin Minster (PA) - 27.68
4. John Taylor (OH) - 26.68
5. Michael Montgomery (PA) - 25.80
6. Kevin Brocki (PA) - 25.58
7. Jason Haines (IN) - 25.01
8. Wayne Gerber (OH) - 22.97
9. Cory Alvord (IN) - 21.93
10. Justin Safran (PA) - 20.67
Full Listing - Ovalrc.com

Stock Division Power Ranking 11/25/12
1. Ean Reilley (IN) - 36.00
2. Kyle Inman (NY) - 35.78
3. Brian MacKenzie (PA) - 33.10
4. Jeremy Reilley (IN) - 33.05
5. Dave Ward (PA) - 32.11
6. Matt Steffenhagen (NY) - 31.99
7. Kevin Brocki (PA) - 27.01
8. David Hoaglin (IN) - 26.31
9. Travis Russel (IN) - 25.14
10. Garrett Allen (PA) - 25.06

Pro Stock Division Power Ranking 11/25/12
1. Brian MacKenzie (PA) - 34.20
2. Kyle Inman (NY) - 33.38
3. David Hoaglin (IN) - 33.18
4. Anthony Searls (IN) - 33.16
5. Jeremy Reilley (IN) - 32.03
6. Ean Reilley (IN) - 29.06
7. Matt Steffenhagen (NY) - 28.48
8. Chris Simpson (IN) - 26.46
9. Mike Bean (FL) - 23.43
10. David Preston (FL) - 22.52

Schedule:
Races in green have been completed and included!
Race in red have been completed but not entered into points yet.
Races in bold are the next races.
HCOT Race #1 - Beaver, PA - 9/30
HCOT Race #2 - The Gate - 10/13
BRL Lefthander 375 - ProLevel RC - 10/14
Octoberfest Race - A Main's Raceway - 10/20
Fall Classic - Summit Raceway
HCOT Race #3 - Team 1 Raceway - 10/27
TOUR Regional - E-Team Hobbyplex - 10/28
Ovalmasters - Greeneville, TN - 11/4
BRL KCM Race Cars 375 - The Gate - 11/11
HCOT Race #4 - Warren, PA - 11/17
Turkey Shoot - Minnreg, FL - 11/24

Turkey Race - The Strand - 11/21
CT Short Track Weekend - Madness & Amain - 11/25
Mitch Jock Memorial - Plattsburgh, NY - 11/24
Money Race - Summit R/C - 11/24

TOUR Regional - Horsham, PA - 12/1
TOUR Regional - Rosewood - 12/1

TOUR Regional - Summit Raceway - 12/8
West Coast Nationals - Finishline Raceway - 12/9
HCOT Race #5 - Lucky 13 Raceway - 12/15
BRL Hyperdrive 375 - Thunder R/C - 12/16
HCOT Race #6 - Gem City Gun Club - 1/1
BRL Spektrum 375 - iROAR Raceway - 1/6
CRC NYD - Oneida, NY - 1/13
HCOT Race #7 - Rocky Grove VFD - 1/19
HCOT Race #8 - Big Dog R/C - 2/2
Snowbird Nationals - 2/3
TOUR Short Track Nationals - The Gate - 3/9
----more to be added!---

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any racing organization. I'm doing this for fun so racers across the country can see who stacks up where. Please don't badger me about how any points come out.

·
Racer
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm not going to show the multiplier numbers, but I'd like to give a few examples of the multipliers at work.

Check out the stock division standings:
1. Dave Ward - 13.075
2. Todd Falkowski - 13.006
3. Travis Russel - 12.570
4. Ryan Merrow - 11.969

All four of these racers were A-main winners. Dave Ward and Todd Falkowski both TQ'ed and won their races. The main difference here was car count. There were 19 cars at the HCOT race at Beaver and 14 at the BRL race. Car count (7) also played a role in Travis Russel's points for his TQ and win. Ryan Merrow's points would have likely been about equal with Todd Falkowski's had he also had TQ, but his was a win only.

Next, check out the Pro Stock Division:
1. Ean Reilley - 12.422
2. Jeremy Reilley - 11.525
- -Anthony Searls - 11.525

Jeremy Reilley and Anthony Searls are tied here. This is because Searls got the TQ but finished second and Reilley got the win but didn't TQ. Ean Reilley got more points because he finished the job with a TQ and a win. Of note, these points are mixed among a couple classes; 13.5 Open and 12th Scale. The way I've broken down divisions is along the lines of who it is (generally) that races in them. While the two classes have different power combos, in many cases the two classes draw from the same pool of drivers. The same can be said for mixing 17.5 Stock Car with 13.5 COT points.

·
Racer
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Hopefully it'll make for some good battles throughout the season! :thumbsup:

Just a heads up, if you've noticed the numbers changed from when I originally posted them, I had to make a few refinements. From here on out, I'm gonna roll with what I've got. We'll see how it works out, but I think I've got a pretty decent system for weighting the points of each race. The only thing that might be a little off at this point is the value of TQ...it makes a pretty big difference. But I guess that's in the spirit of carpet oval racing anyway.

The more races run, the more the numbers will make sense. Right now, the numbers are a bit skewed as some racers have run 2 races and some only 1.

Remember, the races on the schedule above don't have to be the only ones. If your track is having a trophy race or something, let me know, as long as you can get me full results (including TQ's).

·
Racer
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
HobbyTalk Pro
2,787 Posts
Shouldn't Mayhew be at the top of at least one of these lists, just on priciple?
He was very impressive at the Birds, but as the old saying goes, Ya can't 'Be' the man until you 'Beat' the man...

My power rankings (which takes talent, race results, friendship and testicular fortitude into consideration) has Pete D'Agnolo is #1. :thumbsup: heh heh

(Not nearly as technical as your method Matt, but fairly accurate...lol)

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

·
Registered
935 Posts
He was very impressive at the Birds, but as the old saying goes, Ya can't 'Be' the man until you 'Beat' the man...

My power rankings (which takes talent, race results, friendship and testicular fortitude into consideration) has Pete D'Agnolo is #1. :thumbsup: heh heh

(Not nearly as technical as your method Matt, but fairly accurate...lol)

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts