Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent been into the world of collecting hotwheels in awhile but i have had this car for a long time. I was just wondering if it is worth anything since the bp doesnt have the correct name of the car on it.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Packaging errors have their collectors. However, they're a fairly common error, today. I'm not sure how often it happened when this one was produced. The car inside could also affect the value of the error. Your best bet is to put it up for sale/trade in the swap and sell forum and see what it brings. Good luck.

·
Registered
674 Posts
At least you got a better car inside the blister than what was supposed to be in it.

That was about the time they had a short run with a manufacturer in India as I recall, there was also a jeep scrambler and a beach *something* van made there as well, I don't recall a Ferrari.

I've liked the Neet Streeter since it came out in the late '70's. That one would be from around 1995 give or take.

I used to have a Turbo Flame or some other *junkie* <cough cough>, excuse me, fantasy release on a VW Bus card. Was neat, but having the Bus would have been neater. I eventually sold it.

Interesting piece.

·
Registered
497 Posts
That was about the time they had a short run with a manufacturer in India as I recall, there was also a jeep scrambler and a beach *something* van made there as well, I don't recall a Ferrari.
The van was the Beach Blaster, a retool of the 1979 release Inside Story. There also was a retool of the Second Wind as well at the same time, and in 1998 there was an India variation of the Baja Bug.

I've liked the Neet Streeter since it came out in the late '70's. That one would be from around 1995 give or take.
This release of the Neet Streeter is from 1997, and in it's correct blister pack it is valued at about $5.00. I actually own two of them. The actual car, #443 Ferrari 348, actually has several variations, and they each vary in value, although they are all roughly about 5-10 bucks. It's a little hard to say, but I'd say that error car is probably worth about $5-$10, maybe a few dollars more.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Cool Error is if it is a Manufacter Error.

Looks to me that the Car was repacked which means
it was taken out and re-glued from the person who
traded out the Cars. The upper 2 corners of the Blister
Pack have alot of un-glued area on it and this happens
when you dont put the right kind of glue when swapping
out the Cars to be repacked. Its just a hunch of course
as that is what it looks like to me. Mattel usually glues
them pretty good in making sure all corners are covered
in glue.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
i agree with dragonhead this is more common than you would think, it all just depends on the collector. i have seen TH errors that bring a little bit more than normal but not a whole lot. This is a nice one though ;)

·
Registered
497 Posts

out the Cars to be repacked. Its just a hunch of course
as that is what it looks like to me. Mattel usually glues
them pretty good in making sure all corners are covered
in glue.
You know, you make a good point, and I would agree with you, but I have noticed many cars from that era, specifically from 1995 to about mid-1998(some 98 cars were released on the 97 cards), have blisters like that, with little to no glue around the edges and corners. Now, that either means Mattel was just concentrating on pumping out as many cars as they could, as that was the time the Hot Wheels brand was experiencing a huge growth, and a little missing glue was no big deal to them, or I've got an awful lot of cars that have been modified. I think it's the former more than the latter though, seeing as all the cars I've noticed it on are the correct car in the right card, and I don't have any error cars from that era, I believe most of my errors are from this decade.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The van was the Beach Blaster, a retool of the 1979 release Inside Story. There also was a retool of the Second Wind as well at the same time, and in 1998 there was an India variation of the Baja Bug.

This release of the Neet Streeter is from 1997, and in it's correct blister pack it is valued at about $5.00. I actually own two of them. The actual car, #443 Ferrari 348, actually has several variations, and they each vary in value, although they are all roughly about 5-10 bucks. It's a little hard to say, but I'd say that error car is probably worth about $5-$10, maybe a few dollars more.
Fair enough, I was going by memory instead of looking it up, and when you try to keep up with, oh, several thousand cars at this point from at least 4 makers and just catch as catch can on other makers, being off by *only* two years in a manner that isn't crucial...I think I was within an acceptable margin of error. But thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow.

I've got probably 3 or 4 of the 199*7* release around here someplace, enough so I was comfortable opening one up a few weeks back. I even have one of the old blue "Oldies But Goodies" with the hood scoop fallen inside (factory error, insignificant in my mind) on card. It's buried in a box somewhere. But you're right, I expect Zanied's car is at best a $5 car, mainly because of what is in the package, not because of the package.

What's not to like about the Neet Streeter? It is pretty obviously a rework of the old Classic '36 Ford with a rumble seat that if I recall came out in 1969. For the NS they sealed the trunk and gave it a discreet hood scoop.

And the Ferrari 348 pricing out at up to $10? I'd be happy to sell you every one I have for $5 each. As much as I like the Ferrari castings, other than a very few variations from the mid-late '80's, I don't think there is one that is worth much over three dollars unless it is a premium line (100%, Legends, Hall of Fame, etc). If I am mistaken I would be most happy to see.

Here's the Neet Streeters I have sitting on a shelf in my computer room right now:

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts

traded out the Cars.
You raise a very good point. The 1997 Neet Streeter was made in India. I don't recall the Ferrari 348 being made in India. How did a car made in India get into a package that was not made in India? I am beginning to doubt it was at the factory.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The plot gets thicker. The Ferrari 348 was not made in 1997. #443 was made in 1996 in Malaysia and again #443 was made in 1998 in Malaysia.

http://www.southtexasdiecast.com/hwguide/ferrari348.html

Ferrari 348 on card #443 was not made in 1997, and it was not made in India. I am satisfied this is not a factory error.

Neet Streeter was not made in Malaysia, and that variation was only made in 1997.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
You raise a very good point. The 1997 Neet Streeter was made in India. I don't recall the Ferrari 348 being made in India. How did a car made in India get into a package that was not made in India? I am beginning to doubt it was at the factory.
This is where I was going with this Car.....Neet Steeter was made and packaged in India and the Ferrari was made and packaged in Malaysia....It just seemed to me to be out of place and the looks of the package being poorly sealed.

I say crack it

·
Registered
497 Posts
And the Ferrari 348 pricing out at up to $10? I'd be happy to sell you every one I have for $5 each. As much as I like the Ferrari castings, other than a very few variations from the mid-late '80's, I don't think there is one that is worth much over three dollars unless it is a premium line (100%, Legends, Hall of Fame, etc). If I am mistaken I would be most happy to see.
As far as the value of the #443 Ferrari 348, I was going by the averages that I have from three different sources. Here are the variations and their values according to those sources.

Mike Zarnock's book Variations: The Ultimate Guide
Metallic black with black plastic Malaysia base, red interior, and 5-spoke wheels-$8 (I own this variation)
Same as above, but with 7-spokes-$4
Same as above, but with 5-hole wheels-$5 (I own this variation as well)

Lee's Toy Review (issue dated September 2009)
5-spoke-$6
7-spoke-$7
5-hole-$4

South Texas Diecast
5-spoke-$3
7-spoke-$4
5-hole-$2

So, you can see that the average price is indeed in the $5-10 range, but it really is hard to use these numbers as a diehard reference, it all depends on the market.

I guess you can look at this link and see that few of the cars listed go for close to ten dollars, and there is even someone posting one advertised as being a Blue Card, which it clearly is not a true Blue Card, it's a Blue-and-White Card(there was never a Blue Card of this variation, the collector number is too high).:wave:

As far as an India car being in a package meant for a Malaysia produced car, I hadn't thought of that, but now I realize it, that does seem fishy, but I still think it's possible that it came from the factory somehow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

out the Cars to be repacked.
I bought the car for wally world all b/c of the misprint and i have had it the whole time i can assure you it hasnt been opened. On the other hand about 90% of my cars still in the bp have corners messing up, i dont know if its the way i had them stored or what.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I bought the car for wally world all b/c of the misprint and i have had it the whole time i can assure you it hasnt been opened. On the other hand about 90% of my cars still in the bp have corners messing up, i dont know if its the way i had them stored or what.
Wow. I don't know what else to say. It just seems strange how an India car could end up on Malaysia paper. I guess with Mattel anything is possible...

·
Registered
497 Posts
The plot gets thicker. The Ferrari 348 was not made in 1997. #443 was made in 1996 in Malaysia and again #443 was made in 1998 in Malaysia.
Okay, since the OP says he originally bought the car this way from Wal-Mart, I'm going to use this quote from juantoo3 to propose another theory, so stick with me.

Perhaps the car that was supposed to be on that card, the Ferrari 348, was the one produced in 1996, and since the cards were the same for 1996 through mid-1998, maybe some of the cards were shipped over to India for the 1997 cars, and somehow that #443 card got mixed into the batch, and someone either accidentally packed the Neet Streeter in that card, or they had none left and decided screw it, just pack it the way it is. Just a thought.

Another possibility, and this does happen also, is that there originally was a Ferrari 348 on that card, but someone bought the car, took it home, switched out the car with the Neet Streeter, and returned it(probably at the same time as other cars he/she switched out) to the store where you purchased it.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Did you happen to open the Case and see it before buying it?

Just wondering as it is simple to open these up and do a Car swap and re-glue the package before returning them back to a Store. This happens every year with Collectors trying to fool the newer or older Collectors to off load the pegs to make room for newer Cars by making Errors as there is alot of Error Collectors out there in this Collecting world. I still know a few guys today who still flip flop them and return them so the local Collectors will buy the Cars to move them. Yes it's a waste of time but hey so is Collecting these little bundles of Joy we call sanity.

But really, back to the topic here. What gets me is the Car is from India and tha package is from Malaysia. It's not a next door Factory in the same area so this is what makes me believe its a Car swap. Not a real biggy as its a great Car to own that's for sure. Im not in any way a expert here but only a Collector who has been Collecting for close to 40 years and thought I would put in my 2.5 cents.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you happen to open the Case and see it before buying it?
not sure what you mean by that. idk whats up with this thing, the only reason i havent opened it is b/c i have a couple of other neet streeters so IF this is worth anything no reason to ruin it

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
not sure what you mean by that. idk whats up with this thing, the only reason i havent opened it is b/c i have a couple of other neet streeters so IF this is worth anything no reason to ruin it
What I mean is, did you open up the Sealed Factory Case from Walmart with the Mattel tape that seals the 72 Cars before buying the Car that day or did you happen to walk in Walmart and see it on the pegs.

It's only worth what a person is willing to pay for it of course. Not many Collectors from what I know who buy BP Errors. It's usually the Car that has to be a Error for them to add it to there Collections. I grab the Errors Cars too to trade and I leave the Error packages as like I said before, its just too easy to re-pack them to make them a Error package with the wrong Car inside today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts