Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first season that I will be running cap tires on my 4300 car. I have only raced foam tires and I have heard there is a lot of maintenance and prep work that goes into the tires. Rather than wast alot of money by learning the hard way, what is the correct way to start with new tires and keep them in the best shape possible?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Stick them in the freezer and get them reallllllllllly cold and then true them on a truer. when your done wipe GM on them for about a day. them go to the track and they should come in by your 3rd run. I use GM during practice then switch to stick it for heats and mains. When your done racin wipe and clean with GM and put in ziploc bag, wensday pull out soak 2 times with GM andput back in bag.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
FLYING5 said:
Stick them in the freezer and get them reallllllllllly cold and then true them on a truer. when your done wipe GM on them for about a day. them go to the track and they should come in by your 3rd run. I use GM during practice then switch to stick it for heats and mains. When your done racin wipe and clean with GM and put in ziploc bag, wensday pull out soak 2 times with GM andput back in bag.

DO WHAT?

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Klupi.. Just ask anyone when you get to the track. There is not alot of prep to it.. the biggest thing is breaking the tires in right.. The nice thing about caps, is the older they get the faster they get...

Id also suggest if this is your first year at the triclone, maybe pick up a 13.5 motor.. the learning curve is different, and ive seen guys try to go to the fast classes to fast.. they end up breaking alot of parts, like chassis plates ect.. The speeds are faster, and the crs arent as forgiving.. Ask Hays Jr, how many chassis plates he broke last year in 13.5. 13.5 on the triclone will be plenty fast...

Frist thing to do is go to a GM dealer.. ask the service dept for a can of GM Top engine cleaner..

Then go to fleet farm, and get a can of rubber buffer.. It is used for cleaning inner tubes before you patch them..

Get a pack of scotch brite.

Have a truer, and leave the freezer at home..

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
KLUPI, until you have actually "seen" someone use the tire truer, you may want to hold off on that part and just use it with a scotch-brite pad to clean your tires after a run. Set the cutter back out of the way and buff your tires with the pad to clean them. John's tires are pretty round to start with and don't need "truing". The more experienced cap tire racer may use it to break them in so that they will have a new set that is ready to bite for a Main but it is NOT necessary, especially if you are just getting started using them. One mistake and you just ruined a tire.

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
DON"T DO THIS!!!
FLYING5 said:

·
Registered
870 Posts
It seems so of you dont have a set of tirefiles or you can make one with 320 grit and wood. All you people act like you have never trued a capp tire. At least McLin knows ,all your doing is getting that frist 3 or 4 thousandths on an inch off to get a flat tire but a true tire.Hell I seen a guy take a dremel to a brand new set of capps and after a round or two the tires where on the money. It's not like I'm true them with the carbide cutter , I will make sure to be more clear next time so some of you dont have a stroke. Also tire care or prep is very subjective to who you ask so what one person does may not be whateveryone does. :devil:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
BSR cap tires are ALOT easier to take care of and maintain than foams and since Johns taken over the tires are perfect :thumbsup: nice and round, need very little balanceing, rubber doesent peel off the foam, great tires and great service from John. He even puts his e-mail addy and phone number on his web site if you have any questions http://www.bsr-racing.com/about/

Bad thing about Cap Racing is once you do it YOU,LL HATE FOAM RACING ;)

·
Banned
3,250 Posts
mmmmmmmmmmm.I prefer foams over caps. Less maintainance. True, soak, wipe off, and go racing. Only thing I do like about caps is, they last alot longer!!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Andy Koback said:
mmmmmmmmmmm.I prefer foams over caps. Less maintainance. True, soak, wipe off, and go racing. QUOTE]

Thats funny.. Now do Ride height..Roll Out front roll centers ect.. = More work with foams by far.. :cool:

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I agree with Mclin,since John took over,truing is not necessary,unless you have a new set you need ready for a heat or main,but three or four practice runs on GM on a new set and you're ready to go,that way the tire is truly prepped for that particular surface.For asphalt or concrete cap tires are the ONLY way to go.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate all of the input. Since the foam season is over I want to keep racing untill the foam season returns. Hays Sr. called me today and we talked for about 30 minutes or so. I think I am on a good track to getting what I need to start the cap season. I will probably start with the 4300 and if it is to much to start with I will get a 13.5. Hays Jr told me the horror stories of breaking his car over and over.

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
To whome it may concern, It stands to reason that the guy building the tires is the guy to listen to. Plus, those of you who know John, know he is fast too! When Ronny had BSR and was in his last couple of years the tires were so bad they almost destroyed capped racing. Trueing tires became the norm for those of us still trying to race them, thankfully those days are gone.
FLYING5 said:
It seems so of you dont have a set of tirefiles or you can make one with 320 grit and wood. All you people act like you have never trued a capp tire. At least McLin knows ,all your doing is getting that frist 3 or 4 thousandths on an inch off to get a flat tire but a true tire.Hell I seen a guy take a dremel to a brand new set of capps and after a round or two the tires where on the money. It's not like I'm true them with the carbide cutter , I will make sure to be more clear next time so some of you dont have a stroke. Also tire care or prep is very subjective to who you ask so what one person does may not be whateveryone does. :devil:

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Echeconnee said:
To whome it may concern, It stands to reason that the guy building the tires is the guy to listen to. Plus, those of you who know John, know he is fast too! When Ronny had BSR and was in his last couple of years the tires were so bad they almost destroyed capped racing. Trueing tires became the norm for those of us still trying to race them, thankfully those days are gone.
Yep,John's a pretty nice guy to boot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts