Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the past 20 years or so, I have been trying to remember the name of this car playset I saw commercials for back in the late 90s. I'm not even sure if it's a Hot Wheels playset or not, but I do know it existed, since I remember a neighbor having one when I was about 4. I can try and describe it the best I can, since it's impossible to find any commercials for it:

*It was released sometime in the late 90s, possibly 1997. I do recall a batch of commercials from that year that also had commercials for Hot Wheels Cyber Racers. I also know it was intended for Hot Wheels-sized cars.The only other brand I can think of that could have made this toy is Matchbox.

*It was a tower-style playset, and it folded outwards for play, and folded back up for storage. Inside was a turntable-style elevator that could take your car to the toy of the tower and deposit cars in this sort of rotunda-display part.
*There was a ramp the cars could travel down to this section located out the outer part of the playset - one section let you turn a handle or crank as your car sat in front of this little moving screen, and the platform beneath it would occasionally vibrate to simulate a bumpy road.
*The other section had the car sit in this small box with a viewing window. A knob could be turned, turning a color wheel, to show what your car would look like in different colors.

It's been driving me crazy ever since I turned 6. What the heck was this playset?

·
Administrator
34,421 Posts
This is not the one you are looking for but its a super cool set up!

Back then companies like Realtoy and Tomy were also making play sets. You might try searching those names as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neither companies give me anything to work with, but I appreciate the suggestion! I think it MIGHT have been made by a third party company, but my mind goes blank as to who it was. It makes sense for it to be either Hot Wheels or Matchbox, though. I can even remember most of the commercial too, especially when it describes the last two features I mentioned. I'm not sure why, but I was completely mesmerized by that color-changing wheel.

·
BANNED
8,262 Posts
with the color changing wheel, that sounds more like what pollyisagoodbird describes.
good job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts