Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[later]
I decided to (duh) do my own research figuring that with all the trek freaks out there someone must have answered my questions. But so far I'm still piecing things together. So this is what I've learned so far. Please correct or add things and I'll roll them back into a master copy at the conclusion of this thread. The goal here is to have a list of kits which can be used for shopping and cross referencing between the kits and the aftermarket parts for said kits.

USS Enterprise, NCC-1701, from The Original Series (TOS). Constitution Class starship. Kits made or used for this include:

- AMT/ERTL 18"
- AMT/ERTL 22" Cutaway
- AMT/ERTL 1:2500 from 3 Enterprise Set
- AMT/ERTL 1:1600 from 3 ship set
- AMT/ERTL 1:1600 small version of whole Cutaway in Enterprise Incident

Enterprise Refit – The updated version of the TOS version. Used in movies:
Star Trek I - The Motion Picture
Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek III - The Search for Spock

This ship looks a lot like the TOS ship, but has updated engine pylons which have a square instead of round cross section.
[need kit info]

ERTL Star Trek: The Motion Picture Model. Aka "Old Smoothy"
ERTL - Wrath of Khan kit (size?)

Enterprise A (aka. E-1701-A) – USS Yorktown re-christened as the Enterprise, NCC-1701A. Used in movies:
Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home
Star Trek V - The Final Frontier
Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country.

[need kit info]
Polar Lights (not yet released) - 1/350 glue kit.

Enterprise B - Excelsior Class. Seen only in Star Trek Generations.
AMT ERTL kit#8762 Star Trek U.S.S. ENterprise NCC-1701-B

Enterprise C - Ambassador Class. From TV series, Star Trek: The Next Generation, episode "Yesterday's Enterprise" ???

AMT/ERTL Enterprise C, 1/1400 scale.

Enterprise D – Galaxy Class. Ship from The Next Generation (TNG) TV series (Captain Picards ship). This has a wide and flat hull instead of the older bottle shaped hull.
[need kit info]

Enterprise E – Sovereign Class. TNG Movie: First Contact, with the Borg. E kit has a swoopy, bio-mechanical look to it.
[need kit info]

Intrepid Class - from Star Trek Voyager show. This one can (HAHA) land on planet surfaces.

Links to sites that sell upgrade parts for various of the kits above (mostly the 18" and 22" ERTL ships) :

Don's Light & Magic - http://www.dlmparts.com/pages/1/index.htm
Billions and billions of window panels, lighting sets, bridge configurations, interior detail, etc. for a variety of of Star Trek kits.

Lunar Models - http://lunarmodelsonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?
(Go to "TV Retro Tech" part of catalog, then several pages in.) 5 different sets of resin upgrade parts:
"Pilot 1" - convert an ERTL enterprise into the First Pilot configuration.
"Pilot 2" - convert an ERTL enterprise into the Second Pilot configuration.
"Production" - convert an ERTL enterprise into the series configuration.
"Movie 1" - convert an ERTL enterprise into the movie configuration.
"Movie 2" - add-on to Movie 1 above, includes shuttle bay, botanical garden
and officers VIP lounge.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Raist, thanks much! That looks very much like the type of setup I'm looking for, but I can't tell from the link you provided which kit that is?

[later]

I'm confused about the E-1701 designation. The full number is what? When I see 'E' in this context I'm thinking it's an Enterprise E, but that's not the case since the E was apparently in the TNG movie with the Borg?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Sorry Otto, my build is of the Ertyl ST:TMP Model. What is commonly referred to as the Old Smoothy. E-1701.

The Enterprise B is an Excelcior class starship.
The Enterprise C is an Ambassodor Class Starship.
The Enterprise D is a Galaxy class starship
The Enterprise E is a Soverign class starship.

All have been made into models by Ertyl and can be found many times on Ebay.

Polar Lights is coming out with a huge version of the 1701-A.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
It's kinda hard to go into the whole thing right here. I'll try to be brief and am going from memory:
TOS E:
AMT/ERTL:
18"
22" Cutaway
1:2500 from 3 Enterprise Set
1:1600 from 3 ship set
1:1600 small version of whole Cutaway in Enterprise Incident

I know that Federationmodels.com (in Products) has Accurate Parts pieces for both 18", including an accurate saucer section. dlmparts.com has other accurizing pieces for both the 18" and 22" Cutaway, often available in clear castings for lighting. Decals of various sorts are available for the 18 and 22 and 1:2500 models at both sites.

AMT/ERTL:
Enterprise (Smoothy) ST:TMP only version without brick like panel lines engraved all over the model. Check dlmparts.com and lunarmodels.com (?) for lighting and accurizing parts.
Enterprise (Engraved) 1701 and 1701 A - ST 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 dlmparts.com and lunarmodels.com (?) have lighting and accurizing parts.
Enterprise B (Star Trek: Generations) - check out dlmparts.com for clear parts for lighting.
Enterprise C (ST:TNG episode "Yesterday's Enterprise") - dlmparts.com and federationmodels.com (Products) have lighting parts and alternative engine pylon parts.
Enterprise D (ST:TNG) - definitely dlmparts.com, also alterations for Nebula class variants. federationmodels.com has parts for the Future "All Good Things..." version.
Enterprise E (ST:First Contact and later movies) - federationmodels.com (Products), I think, Accurate Parts has a corrected deflector trench and engine pylons.

Decals are available through Federation Models for the 1:2500 versions of these ships.

Both DLM (Don's Light & Magic) and Federation Models are definitely the best sources of accurizing parts. Lunar Models has some good parts, but it's been awhile since I've checked them out.

Hope all this helps you.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Otto69 said:
Raist, thanks much! That looks very much like the type of setup I'm looking for, but I can't tell from the link you provided which kit that is?

[later]

I'm confused about the E-1701 designation. The full number is what? When I see 'E' in this context I'm thinking it's an Enterprise E, but that's not the case since the E was apparently in the TNG movie with the Borg?
When you see E-1701, this means simply Enterprise 1701. The refit Enterprise 1701 refers to the ship seen in ST 1-3. The Enterprise 1701-A (E-1701A) appeared in ST4-6.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I thought the 'smoothie' was TOS enterprise, not refit. I've seen the TOS kits with the raised panel lines that are not on the 'real' ship. I just assumed that references to a 'smoothie' kit meant there was a TOS kit that didn't have the raised panel lines.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
perotis: "Smoothy" is normally used to refer to the original Star Trek The Motion Picture refit enterprise model. The ST II and later versions of the kit had a bunch of ridiculous random panel texture.

On the original 1701, the 18" kit does have raised deflector grid lines that are not accurate. The 22" cutaway version does not. I've never heard anyone call the cutaway a smoothie, though.
(The 1:1600 1701 from the original 3 ship set also has the bogus raised panels. The 1:1000 PL does not of course. Nor does the little 1:2500 from the Enterprise 1701, -A, and -D set.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Nope.. Smoothie is a specific reference to the first issue refit Enterprise from Star Trek The Motion Picture. All subsequent reissues have horrible, inaccurate engraved paneling.

Steve

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Enterprise B - Excelsior Class. ???What movie/series is this from???
The Enterprise B was seen only in Star Trek Generations.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Steve CultTVman Iverson said:
Nope.. Smoothie is a specific reference to the first issue refit Enterprise from Star Trek The Motion Picture. All subsequent reissues have horrible, inaccurate engraved paneling.
well... ok then. Thanks (c:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts