Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the way Greenlight is going on casting quality, I cannot wait until they do a 1971-1972 Roadrunner / GTX / Satellite. The 1971 Charger by GL is gorgeous and I bet they could really deliver some stunning 'runners.

·
Registered
972 Posts
With the way Greenlight is going on casting quality, I cannot wait until they do a 1971-1972 Roadrunner / GTX / Satellite. The 1971 Charger by GL is gorgeous and I bet they could really deliver some stunning 'runners.
I am sure they would do a fantastic job on them. Crazy as this may sound, I'd like to see GL do a 75 Road Runner. Yeah, I know, it wasn't a real powerhouse but, it is a kind of unusaul car and I always thought it was a nice looker as well. Always thought it looked better with the round headlights, too.

Attachments

·
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sure they would do a fantastic job on them. Crazy as this may sound, I'd like to see GL do a 75 Road Runner. Yeah, I know, it wasn't a real powerhouse but, it is a kind of unusaul car and I always thought it was a nice looker as well. Always thought it looked better with the round headlights, too.
Actually my dad had a '77 Sport Fury like that, red with white vinyl roof - it had stacked rectangular headlights. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Actually my dad had a '77 Sport Fury like that, red with white vinyl roof - it had stacked rectangular headlights. :thumbsup:
Actually, the Sport Fury and the Dodge Charger/Monaco carried off the stacked rectangular headlight theme a lot better than the Cordoba or Monte Carlo did. I just like the old round headlights a lot. Rectangulars were nice but on cars like the Monte and Cordoba, that were originally designed with round lights, they seemed an ill fit.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Actually, the Sport Fury and the Dodge Charger/Monaco carried off the stacked rectangular headlight theme a lot better than the Cordoba or Monte Carlo did. I just like the old round headlights a lot. Rectangulars were nice but on cars like the Monte and Cordoba, that were originally designed with round lights, they seemed an ill fit.
"Sport Furys" were the full-size Plymouths. In 1975, the mid-size Furys were "Fury Custom" or "Fury Sport". I sold these cars in their day and the Fury Sport wasn't a big seller. With the introduction of the Cordoba in 74 (75 model), the sales of Fury, Gran Fury and Newport 2 door models declined every year. It'd be nice to see GL make a Fury/Coronet/Monaco casting but I think it's low on their list.

·
Registered
972 Posts
"Sport Furys" were the full-size Plymouths. In 1975, the mid-size Furys were "Fury Custom" or "Fury Sport". I sold these cars in their day and the Fury Sport wasn't a big seller. With the introduction of the Cordoba in 74 (75 model), the sales of Fury, Gran Fury and Newport 2 door models declined every year. It'd be nice to see GL make a Fury/Coronet/Monaco casting but I think it's low on their list.
You are right, the name did a flip flop for 75. I think some of the sedans were also called Salons, if memory serves me correctly. I think the 2 doors sold in smaller numbers because sales of coupes were starting to dwindle by the mid 70's overall for all cars. It certainly was not due to a lack of style. Unfortunately, that leaves us with todays miniscule amount of 2-doors. I just purchased a 2010 Camaro this year for fear there will be NO 2-doors at all soon. Somewhere, I actually have a 1/64 scale 75-78 style mid size Plymouth 2 door. It was an off brand and is a police car. If I remember, it had working roof lights. It also had black bumpers and wasn't totally accurate in detail. I will have to dig this one out and see.

Well, managed to find it and it is actually a Dodge Monaco with the stacked rectangular headlights. It says "Lockups" on the base and has a slot for some type of key. I cannot remember where I picked this one up but it was sometime in the late 70's or early 80's:

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
You're right too. Fury Salon was the top of the line 4 door. Dodge had the Coronet/Monaco Brougham, depending on the year. Both 2 and 4 door models were available with police packages. Cars of the ,70,s were known for "driveability" problems. The 4bbl 440 police cars used to fast idle so high the rear tires would slip when you held the brake on on wet surfaces.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Chrysler did a lot of name games in the mid '70s..in '75, the Coronet was a 4dr only and the 2dr was the Charger Sport (similar to the Fury/Road Runner 2dr, while the Charger SE was the Cordoba variation). In '76 this 2dr became the Coronet, then in '77 both the midsize 2dr and 4dr became Monaco through '78.

Ford played similar games--in '77, the Torino became the LTD II, the Elite was replaced by the Thunderbird, the Montego by the Cougar. All still had the same basic '72 midsize interior and chassis w/ newly square bodies.

·
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There was a red & white Elite in my hometown that used to drive by our house once in a while - I was about 8 or 9 but I thought it was a pretty sweet car.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
We traded a Red over White Elite in on a Cordoba in 78 or 79. I drove it for a short time. Didn't really like Fords at the time and I wasn't impressed. I probably wasn't too open minded at the time. I remember looking down on Monte Carlos too. The 1975 Cordoba was the nicest and best value of all the Cordobas. From mid-1975 on, Chrysler kept increasing the price and reducing the content. I had a 76 in saddle tan with brown landau top and 60/40 seats. 360, 2bbl which was best engine for driveability.

·
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah mine was a 360 2bbl also, Jamaica Blue with white top and 60/40 split bench . . . that car was plush, even had power windows.

·
Registered
300 Posts
In fact it was the spittin' image of this one:

http://www.allpar.com/model/fury-1970s.html

Part way down in red with white top.
My neighbor had one exactly like that in the late '70s. Bright Red with a white top. She traded a '68 Fury Coupe for it new. I always liked it... mainly because of the color combination. As for the '75 Road Runner, that was one of the few cars I knew existed but never actually saw on the road (back in the day). They must have been insanely rare.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts