Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd start a thread for new additions to my collection.

I ended up making a couple of diecast runs over the Labor Day weekend. On Saturday I stopped by a Dollar General and picked up a few random Hot Wheels, a Matchbox Subaru Sambar, two Playmind 5 packs (new brand to me), and a Suntoys Express Wheels playset (for the car).

Then, on Labor Day itself, I went to Walmart and came home with 53 more cars...

That's a Maisto "Adventure Wheels" 20 pack (mostly for the Baja Bug) and a 9 pack (mostly for the Chevy Volt), the Hot Wheels Car Culture Mooneyes VW set (pretty stoked to find that one), the mainline Mooneyes VW Beetle pickup, 4 more random mainlines, a Stars & Stripes '64 GTO, and finally two of the JA-RU "Way to Celebrate" 8 packs of pancake cars. There were four cars that appear in both sets, but the other 8 are unique.

Here's everything in the Maisto 20-pack. Like I said, I was mainly after the Volkswagen, but there are easily enough other nice ones to justify the $15.

The only duplicate Maisto car in the lot is the '55 Chevy. The one in the 9 pack had some pretty bad scuffing on the plastic roof right out of the box, so I'm happy to have one in the 20 pack that was held in place a lot more securely.

·
Administrator
28,902 Posts
Nice finds! The Suntoy casting looks pretty nice and the play set might make a nice photo spot. I've never seen them at our locations though. The Playminds are actually some really nice castings with screwed together bases. The sad part is those same 2 5 packs have been around for 4 or 5 years now. Take a good look at each of the Maistos. The wheels let most of them down but some look like they have they nicer wheels and the better detailed models. The others make for good customs and racing rebuilds with the right wheel sets.

resistance is futile - you have been assimilated

·
Premium Member
9,010 Posts
Awesome haul congrats. 👍

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Suntoy casting looks pretty nice and the play set might make a nice photo spot.
Yeah, it's a pretty decent casting. It's fairly cleanly cast and I'd say it's about on par with their licensed models, with clear windows and an actual interior piece. I hadn't thought of the set as a potential photo spot. It's a little late for that though- my 2 ½ year old nephew has already worn it in pretty good, lol.
The Playminds are actually some really nice castings with screwed together bases. The sad part is those same 2 5 packs have been around for 4 or 5 years now.
They are quite nicely detailed. Bummer that they haven't put out anything new in that time. Supposedly there's a third 5 pack, but I didn't see that one at the store.

Take a good look at each of the Maistos. The wheels let most of them down but some look like they have they nicer wheels and the better detailed models. The others make for good customs and racing rebuilds with the right wheel sets.
Yeah, some of the Maisto wheels are truly awful, haha. I wish they would just use their old style from the 80s and 90s. There was a school bus with them in one of the other 9 packs, so they clearly still make that style.
I was actually thinking there are some good custom possibilities in there. Even just a little detailing around the grills and headlights would really help some of them.
resistance is futile - you have been assimilate
Haha, no chance of resistance here ;)
Awesome haul congrats. 👍
Thanks Sam 😁

·
Premium Member
9,010 Posts
Awesome finds congrats. 👍I'm still on the hunt for that twin mill. 👍

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picked up a couple goodies at Walgreens after getting my flu shot. Slim pickings, but I'm happy to have these in my collection now. Dang Mattel "making" me buy a whole 9 pack for just one car... :p

·
Premium Member
9,010 Posts
Awesome finds congrats. 👍

Reactions: canalnoises

·
Administrator
28,902 Posts
The Track Ripper, Dune Crusher, Super Volt, Ultra Rage and Ollies Rocket are all multi pack exclusives for this years mix, too!

And that funny looking black car, put my name on it in case we ever do a trade box! :whistle:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Track Ripper, Dune Crusher, Super Volt, Ultra Rage and Ollies Rocket are all multi pack exclusives for this years mix, too!
Oh cool, I didn't realize that. This is my second multipack Ultra Rage as well as the Super Volt, but the Track Ripper, Dune Crusher, and Ollie Rocket are all new to my collection. I guess it was worth buying the whole pack after all ;)

And that funny looking black car, put my name on it in case we ever do a trade box! :whistle:
Haha, sure thing! It's a nice one, but I certainly wouldn't mind trading it. I also have a 2007 Mystery Cars Bugatti Veyron that I'm not super attached to. Might be willing to trade that one, too, if you're looking for more Bugattis.

·
Administrator
28,902 Posts
@samace22 is our resident expert on multi pack exclusives but I still have to look them up to be sure. I do now know there are 2 levels of exclusives in the 9 packs. Those in the upper right corner are 4 castings per year with brand new tampo designs released in 3 different colors. The other level of multi pack exclusives are castings in new colors but with the same tampo design as the main line series. Then their are current main lines that fill out the packs.

You can also find these in other multi packs but not neccessarly the 5 packs in my experience.

Another unofficial game we plays is packs with all 1:1 cars in the mix. The best I can remember doing is a single 9 pack and a few 8 of 9 packs. I need to go back and check the 3 packs I have tucked away to see if I hit 3 for 3 in any of them....

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@samace22 is our resident expert on multi pack exclusives but I still have to look them up to be sure. I do now know there are 2 levels of exclusives in the 9 packs. Those in the upper right corner are 4 castings per year with brand new tampo designs released in 3 different colors. The other level of multi pack exclusives are castings in new colors but with the same tampo design as the main line series. Then their are current main lines that fill out the packs.

You can also find these in other multi packs but not neccessarly the 5 packs in my experience.

Another unofficial game we plays is packs with all 1:1 cars in the mix. The best I can remember doing is a single 9 pack and a few 8 of 9 packs. I need to go back and check the 3 packs I have tucked away to see if I hit 3 for 3 in any of them....
That's some great information. Thanks! I'll have to look more closely at them when I go hunting.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Came home from Walmart with another haul

While I was looking at the Matchbox section an employee came over with a fresh case of Hot Wheels and hung up a single car on the already very full pegs. I offered to hang them all up for her but she said, "no, that's okay" and put the box back down on the pile of other boxes of toys waiting to be opened and shelves.

After she walked away I went over and looked through it. I didn't find any t-hunts or IDs, but there were a few cars I've been looking for and hadn't found yet so it was still good.

I finally broke down and got one of these 50th Anniversary Superfast that have been here for months, as well as a 5-pack for the VW Bus. I'm not a huge fan of water cooled VWs, but the New Beetle convertible is a pretty nice casting so I grabbed one along with an awesome Willys Jeep that I hadn't seen before.

I can't pass up a Toyota 2000GT. I already have this 1/32 Jada in black, but it definitely needs a buddy.

This Adventure Force 20-pack also found its way into my cart... I guess I collect Maisto now, too. Lol. Some of them will go in the box for my nephew to play with, but I'm keeping most of them for myself.

·
Premium Member
9,010 Posts
Awesome haul congrats. 👍

Reactions: canalnoises

·
Administrator
28,902 Posts
Nice finds! I have looked at those JDM Tuners before and they are really nice but not my cup of tea. But I havent noticed the Maisto Porsche Spyder before or the Diablo!. Will have to be on the lookout for those on our next trip to Wally World. 🤙

1 - 20 of 45 Posts