Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dr. Olds and I were talk to each other tonight and the subject of canadian currency compared to American currency came up.
what is the exchange rate from Canadian to American currency and if the guys in Canada are paying $1 Canadian then how much is that in American, are they really getting a good deal compared to our currency rate?....oh well, just thought I would post this and see if you guys ever thought of that ..
GOD bless
wayne james ( modelocar ) :freak: :confused:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Serria 1 said:
As of right now $1 U.S = 1.1746 CAD
Or $1 CAD = 0.851353 USD
from this site http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html
so, it sounds like to me that they are really paying $1.18 approximately for a johnny lightning in american terms.
I've been buying they for .99 then getting a 20% discount at our local K-Bee toy store..and I found two whitelightening's to boot...well, they were the poker series though :p , but still...the other johnnies are going for a $1.99 before the discount. :thumbsup: still not as cheap as our Canadian friends but close enough for me :)
GOD bless
wayne james ( modelocar )

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I can remember all those years when the Canadian dollar was between 60 and 70 cents US.
So if you bought a JL out of the US for $3 US @ $0.625 exchange rate from an OLD,
that casting would have cost a Canadian $4.80 in Canadian funds.
Then you have to factor in shipping and handling, Canadian taxes and Customs fees.
Often that casting would end up costing the average Canadian collector $6 or $7.
And sometimes more.
I know, as I have a lot of JLs that I bought that cost this kind of coin.
If I hadn't bit the bullet in those days, I wouldn't have the JL collection that I have
today. And I have few regrets.

BYW, JLs at Walmart in those days were selling for $4.92 CDN before taxes.
And at some TRUs they were $4.99 for regulars and $5.99 for licensed stuff, if you could find anything that you really wanted or if the store actually had any stock.
The biggest problem was finding all those JLs that NEVER showed up in any stores in Canada.
Enter all our Americans friends. Thanks guys and gals.

Cheers. Cobra

·
Mustang Collector
4,090 Posts
I am also interested in what shipping charges are from Canada to the US. I just mailed a single car from the US to Canada and it cost 2.50 US. Looking at all the auctions for car coming the other way they are charging a minimum of 7.50 and many are 10.00.
I would be a lot more willing to purchase more if I did not think I was getting killed on the charges.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Puppycat, the Canadian postal service's charges are excessive by American standards.
We are charged by size, weight, and DISTANCE plus other fees.
It is NOT cheap to ship anything in Canada to anywhere. Even to the next town.
Sorry to tell you the facts, but there is nothing that can be done about it.
Using any courier service is even more expensive with lots of paper work at both ends.

Cheers. Cobra

·
Banned
231 Posts
Actually it all depends on the seller cause if you buy large quantities you should be able to get a package shipped at a reasonable price to make it worth while. Some sellers charge $5 plus a $1 a car to Canada but only $.50 cents to the US so figure out what's your best buy. Your best bet is to go to the UPS, FedEx or Canada Post websites and do the calculations yourself using ome of your own collection as I do and you should be close to what you should be charged plus a small "handling fee".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts