Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking i read somewhere, a long time ago, you can use sand paper to sand vinyl, safely,
if you use certain grades of sand paper,
anyone know for sure? any information please?
i have a vinyl kit, that has some molding bumps, i guess you would call them,
that i would like to remove.the vinyl has a smooth surface, (slick) .thanks in advance.:confused:

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Yes but use fairly fine wet and dry paper. You don't want to scrape it up. You can also shave off large raised bumps. You may also try freezing the part, and then working very quickly to sand an area. I had a kit once with some flaws on the surface that I filled with a layer of thin CA glue that I could then sand down with fine paper.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes but use fairly fine wet and dry paper. You don't want to scrape it up. You can also shave off large raised bumps. You may also try freezing the part, and then working very quickly to sand an area. I had a kit once with some flaws on the surface that I filled with a layer of thin CA glue that I could then sand down with fine paper.
how do you shave them off? with what tool ?

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Anytime you do shaving or cutting on a vinyl kit, the work will go far more smoothly and safely if you warm the plastic. Hot tap water does this fine; a tool I keep near my workbench but which you don't hear much about is a hairdryer. It's also handy to speed up the drying of acrylic paints.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,274 Posts
I prefer the hair dryer over warm water. It's handier and quicker, and way less sloppy.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
I agree, John. However, the hot water option may be preferable to those of us who are fortunate to count ourselves among the alopecians and therefore are not encumbered by the need for such contrivances as hair dryers. However, the things are useful for modeling.

·
Registered
956 Posts
On this same topic....I'm working on a horizon dinosaur kit with pretty awful seams.

What's a good putty to use on vinyl? I like tamiya putty for my styrene kits, but is there something better for vinyl?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Epoxy putty works great with vinyl.Cut as much excess putty while it's still soft.When it dries up it's hard enough to sand.If you have a moto tool with a drum sander,great,then finally finish sanding by hand.In very small seams,thick or thin Cyanoacrylic glue (Super Glue) might be sufficient to cover it up.This method might demand using Super Glue a in one layer at a time fashion,then let dry.Possibly a few layers might be needed to fill the seam.Then sand it when the final layer of glue is dry.:hat:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts