Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new pressure washer today and did everything the manual said to get it going. I was using it for about 5 min without any problems when the engine just stopped. Now when I pull the cord to start it the cord only comes out about 4 inches and won't budge past that. I pul the recoil assembly off and it is okay (Pulls freely)

Now what? How could an engine jsut seize like that? Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Does the engine have any oil in it? It could also be a problem with the high pressure pump.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The unit has oil in it. I have removed the spark plug and tried to turn it over and it still would not work.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I would remove the pressure pump from the engine to isolate the problem. If the engine will turn over and start with the pump removed, then the pump is the problem, if not then there is a problem with the engine. See if you can determine where the problem is, then proceed from there. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would'nt pull anything apart,,,you will void any warrentys,,,,,this is a new from the store machine?????,,or just new to you

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Cser is right, if this unit is new, don't do anything to it, take it back where you purchased it from and let them deal with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
not to hijack ur original thread but i have the same problem on a older pressure washer cord only moves a little bit then stops, recoil taken off moves freely. has oil but this unit hasn't been run in a few years. where should i start looking?

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Check post#4 By 30 Year! If it's an old school belt drive pump, pull the belt off to isolate the motor. If the pump is direct coupled, remove the pump. Either way you've got to isolate the motor from the pump to see if the motor will run or determine which unit is squeeked. My money's usually on the pump.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
2dxtreme

The pump will be on the opposite end from the starter on the engine, if its a vertical shaft engine then the pump should be located underneath the engine. There are usually four (4) bolts that need to be removed and the pump should drop from the engine, you may have to remove any hose adapters if they extend through the frame work of the caddy.
Good Luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
ok i'll look at it tomorrow. im pretty sure its a vertical shaft cause im pretty sure there is something underneath the unit. i'll take the pump off tomorrow. if thats not the case then it will more than likely be the piston correct?

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
It can be many different things. I have seen engines stuck from rust on the flywheel magnets, oil, fuel, or water in the cylinder. I have had engines that seized up on the top and or bottom crank journals, but the most common is the connecting rod journal and I have had a few with damage to the cylinder and piston, so it can be just about anything at this point, but if it was running when it was put away then I would not think it is a serious problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
well i got the motor running today with the pump still attached and there was alot of noise so i decided to take the pump off and the motor purs like a kitten. the pump internally had no grease on the bearings. what do i need to do to the pump to get it working. the pump was making water pressure when i had it running too

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Most pressure pumps use gear oil, but I have seen some that use 30wt motor oil. Check your owners manual (if you have one) and see what kind of lube should be used, otherwise see if you can identify the brand and model of pump and perhaps someone will know what belongs in it.

Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
depends on the pump, most have a filler hole with a vented plug in them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i'll have to look at it again tomorrow in the day light and possibly post up pics of what the pump looks like. would that help u alot more?

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
2dxtreme said:
i'll have to look at it again tomorrow in the day light and possibly post up pics of what the pump looks like. would that help u alot more?
Yes, that would help me get a better idea of what you have. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts