Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an idea for my fiber optic strings, but first i need to find out if the ends of the strings can be painted with transparent paint and still show light. I am thinking it will workhowever, never working with the stuff before, am not sure it will work. I want to use the ends as marine navigation lights.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Hey Bert. Yes you can paint them. I have used Tamiya clear acrylics with success. One thing to consider is the more paint added the dimmer the light transmitted out. Use a thin coat and check, add more if needed. If both strands are going to be the same color you might also want to consider painting the LED itself if paint build up on the strand tips is an issue.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
That was a cool question. I guess another approach to use, instead of painting the fibers with a translucent color, would be to use the exact wavelength, or color, of light that you need. It's probably easier to paint it with a clear color though...

Good Luck!
Roland

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks. Robiwon made me a very cool LED setup for the seaview and the 2 fiber optic cables had a "cap" attached and would provide light for the stern of the sub. I don't have a drill that tiny but i may fiqure another way to do it. If not, I can use the cables to be my red & green navigation lights if i can find the right clear colors.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Just have a looksie at my recent Sub pics.....I used all white leds and 'dabbed' the optics twice at the optic end with clear acry colors...( AFTER I slightly heated them at BOTH ends to create that tiny mushroom effect ).....THIS DOES THREE THINGS!

1. It creates a wider and MUCH BETTER light INPUT and OUTPUT.

2. Doing so puts a HIGH GLOSS at the optics ends which allows the light to be transfered 50% better!

3. Because its mushroomed.....you can drill your hole nice and snug like...then as you feed the optic through....the 'mushroomed' optic end stops at the hole AND! it has a light bulb look to it!

For sea going SHIPS or SPACESHIP windows you do the same steps BUT!

Drill the hole just slightly larger than the optic strand...then as your stuffing the optic through....you can use a small tool or your finger nail to jamb in the optic and make it FLUSH with the ships outer surface!

Pretty nifty huh?....Those are methods I thunk up all by myself! :freak: ...it takes some messing around till you get things to work just right....but with some practice you can mess things up almost as good as me! :tongue:

This ONLY works on .20 or lager optics. 10's just curl up.

You can use anything as a heat scource...hot style hobby blades or solding irons work well best.....lately I have been using just a lighter.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great idea Fluke. I am not sure of the diameter of the strands but it is small, Robiwon will know what size it is. Fluke, when you heat it, what makes it mushroom ?

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Bert, I think if you just slightly push the end of the strand in as you apply a hot X-acto blade, etc., it will mushroom. Also I bought a set of those very fine drill bits on-line and they are small enough for that type of hole. I forget where I got them, maybe Micro-Mark ?? Someone on here suggested them.
Dabbler

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Bert,

The Dabb is correct....How fast or how close determins how much mushroom or damage you can do. I just slowly move the optic end to the heat source untill I see the result I want. It takes just a few trys till you get it down.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
NOOOO!!!!!!

Dude....I'm sorry I did not make it clear....my goof.

Just keep getting closer to the heat source....the optic end will 'mushroom' before it touches the heat....thus the benificial 'glossing effect'

Hope that helps!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts