Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just found a plastic garbage bag of a few moldy water-damaged kits I bought from a local hobby shop here in New Orleans that was getting rid of them very cheap.

I had forgotten I bought them, and as they were when I bought them, they were still moldy and most even had water/mold inside the plastic bags.

So I'm doing what I should have done then and soaking them in a combo of bleach and water. On the clear plastic parts I'm using a solution of anti-bacterial Dawn dishwashing liquid and plain 'ole water.

Needless to say though, the instructions are useless.

The only kit I really don't have instructions for is for an Aurora Creature from the Black Lagoon kit.

It doesn't have a Polar Lights emblem anywhere on the box, and the top page of the soaked/congealed instructions only says Aurora on it. I've kept the mold damaged instructions(that are unusable) and the top and bottom but will probably toss it soon.

I don't know if this means it is an actual pre-Polar Lights Aurora kit or not.

Does it matter?

Were there any differences between the two kits?

Would the instructions for one be accurate for the other?

I've never had this kit before so I have no idea.

Any answers to the above questions and especially scans of instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to anyone and everyone in advance,
Chuck :)

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
I've got 'em, Chuck. Send me an email address and I'll pop off the scans for you. As far as I know there were no substantive differences between the original Aurora kit and the Polar Lights reissue. Check the underside of the base for the copyright information; it will name one or the other company as the manufacturer and date of the model's release as well.

Mark McG.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mark McGovern said:
I've got 'em, Chuck. Send me an email address and I'll pop off the scans for you. As far as I know there were no substantive differences between the original Aurora kit and the Polar Lights reissue. Check the underside of the base for the copyright information; it will name one or the other company as the manufacturer and date of the model's release as well.

Mark McG.
Thanks a million! I just tried to email you but the Hobbytalk window seemed to close prematurely, so I'll PM you too in case it didn't go through.

I just checked.

Weirdly enough it says Revell-Monogram(what's up with that? Didn't Polar Lights reissue them? :confused: )

and has a couple of copyrights with a date of 2000. Also has a number 0630 stamped on it, I guess a model version #?

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Chuck,

What you have is the Revellogram reissue. When Aurora went under in the late 1970s, its molds were purchased by Monogram, which later merged with Revell. Polar Light's reissue was done under contract with Revellogram.

Mark McG.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't seem to open the tiffs, Mark. I keep getting a "unsupported compression method" error both via Photoshop and Windows file viewer. :confused:

Could I maybe bug you for a JPEG version?

Since you've already gone to the trouble of scanning them in a printable high res version(based on the filesize) it would be a shame to waste the effort.

Thank you again to both you and The Batman.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
You probably know this but if you need the instrux because you can't figure out how your pre-assembling the head wrong you can disregard. The Creech always had that
annoying ridge where the back half of the head was about an 1/8" higher than the front. Its said to be because thats how the costume looked in the movie.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Jimmy B said:
...the back half of the head was about an 1/8" higher than the front. Its said to be because thats how the costume looked in the movie.
What latter-day builders may not be aware of is that back when the Aurora Monsters were first sculpted, the desire for total fidelity to the film appearance of each character wasn't the big issue among the model building public that it is today; same goes for parts fit. Although Bill Lemon (who sculpted the patterns for the all kits from Frankenstein to The Hunchback of Notre Dame) was working from 8 X 10s provided by Universal Studios, the models were really more Aurora's take on the characters than movie creatures captured in plastic. We've already had a lively discussion on the Board over which actor was represented by each kit.

So yeah, that ridge is rather overstated even though a similar feature appeared on top of the Creature's nogginin the film.

Mark McG.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Marx duplicated the head ridge on their 6" figure of Creech. If anything theirs was even more pronounced than Aurora's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts