Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's a quickie little setup that doesn't take too much time to put together for a photo shoot.

ingredients:
1) a new piece of linoleum tile (3 for a buck at the dollar store)
2) grass cloth ( i bought a larger sheet for about 6 bucks online) but you could get this at a model railway store or micheals craft store.
3) a sheet of plastic groundcover (used to be a buck, but now is $2 from dollar store)
4) painted christmas tree ( a buck or less from dollar store - optional)
5) some figures or other dio pieces (optional)
5) your favourite cars
6) don't forget your camera

prep:
1) pick a nice day outside to get the best lighting for your pictures (early morning or late afternoon is best)
2) you can either use a full linoleum tile or cut it in half - your choice
3) cut the grass cloth to fit the tile and peel the paper backing off, place the grass cloth onto the glue-y backing of the tile and make sure to smooth out any air bubbles
4) position the the grass groundcover behind the grass sheet/linoleum tile
5) place your trees, figures and cars on the grass sheet
6) shoot your scenes

tips:
1) place your setup on a table and then crouch down so you can shoot it at "ground level", instead of above.
2) brace yourself to reduce camera shake or rest the camera on the table to press the shutter, alternatively you could get a tripod.
3) if your camera has an aperature setting, set it to a shallow depth of field (lowest F number) to get a nice background blur

feel free to try it out.
:wave:

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Great instructions and pictures!

What cars do you have there? Are those M2s?

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx wut and all! yup, m2s are my latest infatuation. a 1954 desoto fireflite and a 1954 dodge lancer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
there is a 1:1 desoto near my place for sale that looks EXACTLY like that, same paint, everything, just a little bigger than yours.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Great pictures Harry :thumbsup:
I see you have a couple good examples of the Dodge and DeSoto there. Not just because the colors are beautiful, but because the hoods actually close tight!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
XCELLENT!!! and just yesterday I was trying to do something different because I always just sit a car on the back of a small mirror with my ugly white garage wall for the backround. My camera is kinda cheap but Im sure pics will look better with your type of set up:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
The grass looks really good! I've been thinking about getting some of that and trying to make my road board that I use for pictures look more realistic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts