Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have cable now. (comcast) It seems to only work fine about 70% of the time. The other 30% I have to unplug the modem for at least 1 minute or more usually and pray that it will work again. Is there a huge noticable difference in Cable and DSL? Anyone with Pro's and Con's of either would be appreciated. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,776 Posts
I've had both cable and dsl.

While dsl is slightly more reliable it's not as fast as cable here in metro atlanta. Cable boasts 3000 kbps while dsl is still only about 1200 kbps.

30% downtime is high. Sounds like a local problem that maybe the cable guy can fix.

At one location the cable I used was down frequently. It turned out the problem was an amplifier the comcast installed to improve tv reception. This overloaded the modem however.

At my current location (about 7 months) the cable is more reliable than the dsl installation I had the year before.

dsl is sometimes tricky because it uses extra bandwidth on the twisted copper lines that the phone company owning the lines can lease to another company. However my earthlink dsl got blown out of the water when we inadvertently switched to another local phone provider which garnered the leased bandwidth from the real phone company.

If the cable guy can't give you 99% up time than you may want to call the local phone company (not a 3rd part dsl provider).

You can review the reliability of different providers in your area at

www.dslreports.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
I have dsl and my mom has cable. We live about 2 miles apart. Her cable is noticable faster most of the time. Sometimes the cable does get lagy though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Cable is definitely faster

I have had them both,

Right now I have own dsl for about five months. Yet, I only get half the speed that I had with cable.
This boxes usually have many troubles with the little variations of power, and they crash. What you might look onto your problem is to check that the box of cable is grounded, and if you can put a ups to it that would help you.
Also, if you have an ethernet hub, you should do the same.

Good luck.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top