Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a cool-looking set of boards -

Just joined - my first modeling forum.

I got the C-57D for Christmas from my wonderful fiance - I've done smaller plastic models (Doctor Who, Nosferatu, etc.), and I'm looking forward to this new challenge, as well as the help and guidance from you experienced folks on this forum -

Happy Holidays!

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I got mine in today as well, along with ... Jupiter 2, Interplanetary UFO, Alpha Centauri UFO, Mr. Spock, and a Witch. Obviously these won't be completed over the holidays, in fact probably for 2 to 3 years. But nice to know they are there for retirement at the end of next year. I think I will open the box and take a look tonight.

Also, welcome to the board, and we would certainly be happy to see pics as you assemble it. Then you can make the mistakes and flag me so I won't!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all, so much, for the warm welcome!

Yes Lloyd, indeed a Browncoat, and the name also went so well with the Forbidden Planet model.

Also wanted to make a note here, especially for rkoenn, - as I unpacked the model today, I noticed a significant chip and crack, about 2 inches, in the clear plastic (top) dome. Otherwise it was packed quite well.

My wonderful fiance immediately called Monsters in Motion, who in turn (on Christmas Eve!) contacted the manufacturer. We got an e-mail just hours later confirming that the replacement part is on its way.

I just so appreciate good customer service - I had to give a shout out.

Happy Holidays, all!

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Great response from the companies! A crack in either of those beautiful clear domes is a heartbreak.

I'm looking forward to seeing builds of this baby coming online over the next few months!

~~Season's Tidings~~

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Mine came from CultTVman, and everything was OK. This is one HUGH model. You read about the size, but seeing in from of me....WHERE AM I GOING TO PUT THIS!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
welcome miranda! happy to see you here... we need more female modelers! this is too much of a boy's club.

you might also want to check out "the clubhouse" forums: http://theclubhouse1.net/
lots of advice there too, especially about figure kits.

by the way, you might want to do a search here and on the clubhouse for posts about "monsters in motion" before doing business with them again.

anyway, welcome again!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again, thanks so much for the warm welcome! I went to check out the the clubhouse form you mentioned, razorwyre, but unfortunately the forum is closed to new members.

Lloyd, I hear you on the "Where am I going to put this??" question with this massive model. Right now I'm thinking of a plexiglass drop-down suspension from the ceiling of our den...of course, got to get it done, first!

I, too, wonder why there aren't more female modelers. I used to, like my female friends, enjoy knitting, beadwork, jewelry-making, painting to relax - I like the challenge of the models, though, and a lot of the skills carry over.

I've ordered in my paints and glues - very psyched to get started!

Happy holidays, all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
VERY frustrated! The post office seems to have lost or stolen my shipment of paints and cements for this project. At least, It's been sitting in the post office since 12/30. I really want to get a bigger start on this than just cleaning pieces.

My fiance just called Testors and is getting htings straightened out. He's better at that than I am!

But enough griping - I'm looking for some advice, as well. Those of you who know this model know it has some very long, straight seams along the sections of the saucer itself.

What you y'all recommend as far as a seam-filler for plastic? I've used my own solutions, before, but I think I'll defer to experts on this one...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use the Squadron putty - lately the white, which dries very fast and is easily covered by paint. It works for me.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Well, second attempt at posting on this item.

I read some of the modeling magazines and recently when building the Invisible Man Dan Jorgensen of Kitbuilders used Bondo body putty available at auto supplies. It comes in a very large tube at a reasonable price. I tried it on a couple of kits now and it does work well. I have used the Squadron green and white and they work well but seem to be difficult to get into small seams and dry rather rapidly. The Bondo stuff is more "liquidy" and gives more working time as well as being easy to sand smooth after. Another build article for the Invisible Man author said he mixed the Squadron green with paint thinner to make it thinner and easier to get in the seams. I haven't tried that but am now using the Bondo.

By the way, nice having a feminine touch here. I tried to get my wife to build some of my models, maybe starting with the Polar Lights Witch or Bride of Frankenstein, but she is not interested. She does need a hobby too, particularly with retirement rapidly approaching.

·
Registered
379 Posts
C-57d from a first time poster

Miranda,

This kit is a BEAR to make seamless. Carefully glue each section together taking as much care as possible to avoid a "step". Brace the insides of the disk with wood and epoxy to avoid "flex" which will pop your seams. Use "Bondo" Gold filler (Available from Walmart in a can.) Buy a flexible "Spreader" along with the Bondo- they only cost a dollar or so and do a much better job than any other tool. Apply the Bondo over the seam and feather into the hull a inch or so. Use a hand-held electric sander to smooth the seams. You may have to do this once or twice to achieve a perfect surface with no hint of seams. Prime well with a good sandable primer, THEN paint. Good luck!

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
as far as space goes, have you considered using it as wall art? Just hang it from a wall using some 20lb. test fishing line.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
What a cool-looking set of boards -

Just joined - my first modeling forum.

I got the C-57D for Christmas from my wonderful fiance - I've done smaller plastic models (Doctor Who, Nosferatu, etc.), and I'm looking forward to this new challenge, as well as the help and guidance from you experienced folks on this forum -

Happy Holidays!

So the clubhouse wasn't your first choice? We're Jealous...

Seriously Welcome aboard here and at TCH.

I would takle those seems probably with Aves as it can be smoothed with water before it dries. This minmizes the huge task of sanding those seems.

Good Luck

Max bryant

·
Registered
33 Posts
As far as strengthening the hull sections it can be done. I went to great lengths to accomplish this with mine. Now my hull halves can be held by the edge and they maintain an undeformed shape. No expanding foam was used, only pieces of styrene. I also heavily beefed up the central pod area to provide more support for what is a pretty heavy model. Here are some photos.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thank you so much for the great advice! I'm used to working with Bondo, from my days of building props for theatres. If I'm remembering it right, I'll have to get some good ventilation! We always worked with it outside, or with respirators.

Max, I'll look into Aves -I haven't worked with it before.

nautilusnut, thank you so much for such detailed instructions. They will come as a great help.

Altair4, you're a rock star!! I'm absolutely going to lift these ideas!

rkoenn, I was in my local hobby shop lately and quite struck my the fact that I was the only woman in this rather busy shop, though I was there for about an hour browsing for supplies. (reminds me of going to comics shops).

But perhaps your wife might like paper models? That's how I started, really - for a long time I built 3-D paper models of landmarks I had been to - there are some nice ones of The White House, Notre Dame, Mont-St. Michel (my mom's a French teacher, and uses them now in her classroom). They're fun and a bit less daunting. Just a quick Google to find them.

Magesblood, wall art is a serious possibility for us. My fiance and I are going to move to a place with a den when we're married - I think this would be a great feature!

Thanks so much, guys!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts