Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Black With Flames community seldom - outside of the occassional new release - comes across a previously undiscovered BWF car. It happens about as often as the discovery of a new planet!

Yesterday, a new (and previously undiscussed) planet was discovered, on the Southern New England Hobby Talk Road trip. It was found at a shop we had all met at, on a peg with some newly acquired older releases on them, and was discovered by Rob Irving (ECchopper), who found two of them.

"Hey Rich, bet you don't have this Black With Flames!!!" Rob called out across the shop. I looked at it, looked again, and wasn't sure what to make of it, so i passed it around to Dave, Mark, and shop owner Jeff, asking each their opinion as to whether this was a true BWF or not (what with some of the very questionable "stretches" that have come before the committee lately).

Their opinions were unanimous; this definitely was a black vehicle, with clear (albeit unusual) flames. Rob bought one, and I got the other.

ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the very latest "find" in the Black With Flames world - courtesy of Wyatt's site - The Black With Flames Millennium Bus, from the Dot Com series:

This vehicle has to be in hand to truly evaluate it; first reaction seems to be: "hey, that Bus is gold, not black. The back of the Bus is black, not the Bus itself!"

Closer inspection shows that the base color of the Bus IS black - flat black - and that the gold "chrome" is laid over it, and is the "flames" itself ! And those very clealy and unquestionably ARE flames.

Dave and Jeff said that this apparently was not part of the regular Dot Com release, and was part of a "mail-in" promotion, in very limited quantities. can anyone confirm this? If this is true, I know two people that are about to embark on a long journey to seek one. Make Rob an offer he can't refuse, maybe??? That will help one of you :tongue:

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Hey,I have a couple of those stored away somehwere,guess I'll have to add them to my bwf collection.

I don't remember the exact story with the bus...I think it was a promo ordered and then sold through one of the OLD's that was popular at the time :confused:

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Never seen that one, I'll have to keep an eye out for it. ::Sigh:: looks like Rich pulls ahead in the all important BWF count again.....

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
carnut2256 said:
This vehicle has to be in hand to truly evaluate it; first reaction seems to be: "hey, that Bus is gold, not black. The back of the Bus is black, not the Bus itself!"
I think he just didn't want to admit it bcause HE didn't find it. lol

Make Rob an offer he can't refuse, maybe??? That will help one of you :tongue:[/QUOTE]

Gonna have to make that offer to Rich, because mine is not going anywhere!
:dude:

But, Rich....how DID you end up with that second one anyway?
;) :tongue: :rolleyes: :p :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Rich, check the back of the card. JL Direct Exclusive Mail in offer # 2.
The Millenium Bus
"Start off the century on the right foot with a brand new collectible from Johnny Lightning Direct. This black 1960's VW Bus decked out with gold chrome flame tampos is the perfect start to your 2000 collection"

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ECchopper said:
Rich, check the back of the card. JL Direct Exclusive Mail in offer # 2.
The Millenium Bus
"Start off the century on the right foot with a brand new collectible from Johnny Lightning Direct. This black 1960's VW Bus decked out with gold chrome flame tampos is the perfect start to your 2000 collection"
"Gold chrome flames", stated right there on the package??? We have a winner, folks!

ECchopper said:
But, Rich....how DID you end up with that second one anyway?
;) :tongue: :rolleyes: :p :thumbsup:
You didn;t honestly think you were getting out of that shop alive with both of those, did you Rob???? :cool: :lol: :eek:

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
Easy does it, boys. No fighting! With Jeff saying he has a warehouse of stuff, some of which he's forgotten he had, maybe there will be more. Now, having a BWF collection myself, wouldn't you give some consideration to your "chain-busting", fun-loving chauffeur?? :tongue:

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Geeze, as one of the "founding three" of the BWF Committee, I'd love to have that one as well if anyone has one lying around...

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
Got a PM from a fellow HT member asking me if I was interested in one of these VW BWFs - of course, I accepted! :thumbsup:
Now if he would only let me know what cars of mine he wants.... :wave:

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
That's good to hear, Mark. If someome wants to contact Jeff to see if he can dig up more of them, I'll make the trip to pick 'em up.

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ECchopper said:
That's good to hear, Mark. If someome wants to contact Jeff to see if he can dig up more of them, I'll make the trip to pick 'em up.
I'll shoot him an e-mail, Rob :thumbsup:

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dragnet_Supporter said:
It's great when an exploration meets with something undiscovered, but this was quite an exceptional discovery. Congrats, guys!
I vote that we now refer to this as the "ECchopper BWF Bus", as he is the one that brought this to the attention of the HT community. I had the great fortune to be with him when he found it.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
POCKETWOCKET said:

paid 10.30 for mine about 5 years ago....if anybody has a need, PM with a trade list or offer :wave:
Thought you guys might get a kick out of this. My 2 1/2 year old grandson is on my lap as I'm reading these post. I come to this one and he says "whooaa, I want that one" in his best toddler english. I'm all set to type "sorry, but he's got nothing to trade", and the bugger runs into his room and comes out with this no-name 4x4 with oversized green tires.
Looks like I've created a monster. Either that or at least a collector. :lol:

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dadvball said:
Thought you guys might get a kick out of this. My 2 1/2 year old grandson is on my lap as I'm reading these post. I come to this one and he says "whooaa, I want that one" in his best toddler english. I'm all set to type "sorry, but he's got nothing to trade", and the bugger runs into his room and comes out with this no-name 4x4 with oversized green tires.
A chip off the ol' block, Bill :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
Dadvball said:
Sounds like an even trade, Laurence. What do you say?? :p :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts