Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I've said this before, but buying JL by the case straight from a distributor does two things:

1) eliminates the need to visit the evil Wally World
2) increases the chances of getting a WL.

I bought six pre-ordered factory-sealed JL cases today: CG24, Chevy Thunder, Universal Monsters, Grateful Dead, and Musclecars 5r6. I got THREE WLs within: orange Camaro from Chevy Thunder, Grateful Dead Beetle (!!!), and a Ford truck from Universal Monsters. I'd say those are pretty good odds. I've also plucked tons of blue-chrome Hot Wheels Whips from sealed cases as well. The overall cost may be a little higher thanks to postage and such, but man can it be worth it!

jk

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I agree, buying by the cases definitely has its advantages, but I personally have no need for two of a single car(from sealed inners)....I open everything. Plus, I am not a completist and rarely find myself wanting to buy an entire series.

So for some it works great! Others, not so well.

Congrats on your WL's you lucky dog!! :thumbsup: And just curious, do you keep the WL's or sell em?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just started buying the Street Freaks form tinywheels !! The overall cost with shipping is just a few cents over retail, Plus I spend no gas money to run to stores just to find what I want isn't there !! I get the cars I want and trade or sell what I don't !! And as you said sometimes you just get lucky !!

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I've been thinking about this myself. Dont really mind 2 of each. One to open and one to hang up. Another "newbie" question... how many per case and what exactly is an "inner". The brown boxes in the fest pics got me interested.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I've never ordered one, but I believe a Master Case has four "inner" cases. An inner case has 12 cars. Some series will have 6 cars, so you'll have 2 of each. Others, the 50th anniversary Vettes for example, will have 12 different cars. Street Freaks also comes with 12 different cars, with a combination of series, Scrapin', Import Heat, Zingers to name a few.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Thanks Dadvball, May have to try this. tinywheels sells them buy the case it seems so thats a name I can trust. Not expecting a bunch of WL's but just a new step I havent made yet. I have the first and the 35th 50th anniverary Vettes, good start! Of course the tie rod on my real daily town car just decided to fall off at the post office and bend a few things around a little so it might not be too soon. Kinda missed a few hours work fixing this problem. Hard to drive on 3 wheels!

·
Banned
8,047 Posts
I have bought several cases on line and have never found a white. Since I only collect Camaros/Firebirds I'd have a lot of cars I do not want.

G

·
There are online dealers out there who don't pull WL's from the inners and you can get them in a single 6 car set or even as a single car at the same per car price - inner or single. Makes it nice for those who only collect certain cars or don't want to have to buy 2 of each but still want a chance to get a WL ........ I know of a certain online dealer that has sent out quite a few WL's in orders this year.. ;)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
my latest case buy's

monster's = 1 w/l study gold hawk
new coke series = 1 w/l panel truck
muscle car's 5 rel.6 = 1 w/l '69 camaro ss rag top
street freak's rel. 10 series 375-14= 1 w/l '77 old's cutlass (zinger)

waiting on chevy thunder's to arrive, will wait and see what roll's in that case

case's save you time, cost less and i'll say more rewarding, then chasing the stores. easier to talk to a distributor, then a nasty store clerk or manager.

yes, you can get dead case's, and, i have. so, you have to figure what work's you.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
robmcin said:
There are online dealers out there who don't pull WL's from the inners and you can get them in a single 6 car set or even as a single car at the same per car price - inner or single. Makes it nice for those who only collect certain cars or don't want to have to buy 2 of each but still want a chance to get a WL ........ I know of a certain online dealer that has sent out quite a few WL's in orders this year.. ;)
I dont know of any Johnny Lightning Dealer that pulls white lightnings from factory sealed inners. :eek:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
car17 said:
monster's = 1 w/l study gold hawk
new coke series = 1 w/l panel truck
muscle car's 5 rel.6 = 1 w/l '69 camaro ss rag top
street freak's rel. 10 series 375-14= 1 w/l '77 old's cutlass (zinger)

waiting on chevy thunder's to arrive, will wait and see what roll's in that case

case's save you time, cost less and i'll say more rewarding, then chasing the stores. easier to talk to a distributor, then a nasty store clerk or manager.

yes, you can get dead case's, and, i have. so, you have to figure what work's you.
You must be talkin Master Cases because if you are pulling a white out of every inner case then you better go buy a lottery ticket. :thumbsup:

G

·
Where did I say "Factory Sealed Inner" ??? I was making the point that while there are many places to have a chance at a WL if you buy an inner or a case, I don't think there are more than a couple where you have a chance to get a WL by buying a single car or 6 car set at no increase in price

oh, and by the way.... :tongue:

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
If I bought from the case, I would only buy from Mac's Little Cars. Who can you think of that's more honest than Honest Rob McIntyre aka Rob McIntosh.

He by the way holds hands really great and I never felt so secure crossing the street in my life as I did when Rob grabed my hand thinking it was his lovely wife's. The look on his face was worth it.LOL

Buy inners, outers, uppers and singles from him dangit!:wave:

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Porsche911GT3 said:
I personally have no need for two of a single car(from sealed inners)....I open everything.
Neither do I. The rest are traded, usually with international partners (though I have a select few good domestic ones), sold at flea markets, or ... whisper it ... returned to Wally World without receipt.

just curious, do you keep the WL's or sell em?
The short answer is, I'm not keeping them. The longer answer... I will have the same casting twice only if a new car has two differences: different wheel and differen color. Both factors must be in place if a duplicate casting inhabits my collection. Therefore, only certain WLs fit in to my collecting pattern--at this point, it's mostly the early Mustang series, and the first two Corvette series I'm looking for. So all of these new ones will go away.

jk

G

·
MARKHOS said:
He by the way holds hands really great and I never felt so secure crossing the street in my life as I did when Rob grabbed my hand thinking it was his lovely wife's. The look on his face was worth it.LOL
OK, Special Deal just for HT Members...

Buy 10 cars and I will hold your hand for 30 seconds at Fest next year.....

Buy 20 and I WON'T!!! :devil:

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MARKHOS said:
I've never heard of them? Have they ever been to Fest or supported it?
Ha ha. I have no idea. My friendship with Fred predates my involvement with Playing Mantis.

jk

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Jeff

Did you hear about pricing this year? It was very good. For those who left saying they couldn't find anything, I thought their sanity should be checked

buck blisters
2 buck two packs including First Shots and Dioramas
5 buck Rocket 500's
5 buck (and under) Six car Toy Fair sets and on and on and on.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts