Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a number of items that you can buy in bulk and save just tons of money. "Litespeed" type battery connectors, 4-40 screws and 1/8" diff balls. A call to a industrial electrical supply house should net you the battery connectors and thescrews and diff balls can be found at ball bearing suppliers. How much will you save? Connectors will cost about $.75 each and diff balls about $8.00 per 1000. 'Nuf said?

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
I use to buy my Diff Balls from Bicycle shop. They are awesome..and sometimes I could find bulk bags of 144 balls for .99c

McMaster-Carr for things like Body Clips, nylon tie straps, and so many other little things like the 4/40 screws..button head, flat head, metric motor screws...

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I understand how wholesale works. But, we are not talking about diff balls purchased in bulk from a hobby shop, they are from a bicycle shop in this case. I haven't actually tried, but I don't believe it would be very easy to buy 1000's of balls from your local hobby shop. A fellow racer I know gets his in bulk through GM. They say "precision" on the package. His diffs are never smooth and free, but he saves money and thats what is important to him.

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are many distributors of "ball bearings". They have a number of different grades of balls and the vast majority are called "precision". I find it doubtful that GM uses very high grade balls. When I ran oval a lot I would buy them 1000 at a time and they were always better then what you could get from the RC manufacturers.

A quick google brings up http://www.cerbec.com/TechInfo/TechSpec.asp
While these are ceramic you can see they make them in 7 different grades.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
There are no ball bearings made just for RC Cars. They are just too expensive to make for quantities that low. A lot of people fail to understand how small a market that RC Cars really are.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You can get the same nuts used to hold the wheels on a Losi xxx-t at the hardware store for a about a dollar for a dozen.They look exactly the same to me..:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
davepull said:
http://www.mcmaster.com/ they have alot of stuff. diamond lathe bits delrin fiberglass graphite lexan and any tool you can think of
9576K24 Silicon-Nitride Ceramic Ball 3/32" Diameter, Grade 5, Packs of 5

unit price: 7.67$ pack

I can't find out how many balls you get for 7.67 but nowhere close to 1000, also no metric sizes ( I need 2.4mm dia for my diff which is close to 3/32" but not the same) :confused:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
xrayrc said:
9576K24 Silicon-Nitride Ceramic Ball 3/32" Diameter, Grade 5, Packs of 5

unit price: 7.67$ pack

I can't find out how many balls you get for 7.67 but nowhere close to 1000, also no metric sizes ( I need 2.4mm dia for my diff which is close to 3/32" but not the same) :confused:
It reads on their site that this is a pack of 5 balls...............

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
i know this is old but boca bearing in fl sells the smoothest bearings i have ever had and they do sell1/8in balls but have not tryed them but they have hi grade from what i understand they are smoother than most diff balls expext for ceramic

·
Registered
25 Posts
I looked far and wide for a thread on o-rings to use for your shocks. I remeber reading on here somewhere about how size them up. Could someone help me?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are a number of items that you can buy in bulk and save just tons of money. "Litespeed" type battery connectors, 4-40 screws and 1/8" diff balls. A call to a industrial electrical supply house should net you the battery connectors and thescrews and diff balls can be found at ball bearing suppliers. How much will you save? Connectors will cost about $.75 each and diff balls about $8.00 per 1000. 'Nuf said?
I HAVE BEEN USING LITESPEED CONS. FOR 15 YEARS THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THEY ARE HARD TO INSTALL 12 GAUGE WIRE AND FORGET IT IF YOU GET NITRO ON THEM THEY ARE LEXAN AND WILL MELT ASAP I HAVE BEEN USING TRAXXAS PLUGS AS OF LATELY I LOVE THE WAY THEY WORK AND I HAVE NO PROB WITH NITRO FUEL GETTING ON THEM.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts