Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering, do we have any active members here from Burlington, VT? I just dropped my freshman daughter off at UVM, and spent a bit of time in this town (actually didn't get any hunting in at al!!!LOL), and I loved the place!

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Yes I hear it is quite nice, esp around autom when the colors change (as is most of the east, unlike California where the color is always grey - as in concrete grey).
How far from Vermont do you live?

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in Newport RI, Mod, about 300 miles away, but I just e-mailed her this morning and said I can be there in about an hour!!LOL.

Burlington is a fantastic town, with a beautiful downtown pedestrian mall (called "Church St.") with an awful lot of interesting shops and restaurants.

We ate dinner right on the shore of Lake Champlain (huge!!!) on a deck overlooking the water, with the ferries and other boats docked right there. Had steamers and my girlfriend had a lobster roll, while a band played and the sun set. It was just like being back home in Newport! Could have been Narragansett Bay with the Block Island ferries! My daughter lived in Northern RI, but loved coming down to stay in Newport with us, so this will seem so much like home to her!

I checked before heading up there, where the WM's, K Mart's and other stores were (they had all the usual ones), but that all got put on the back burner with getting her settled into the dorm. I may "have it" bad, but I know what's really important in life! :)

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Very pretty town.Not a good place for JLs. CVS is the drugstore to visit...Price Chopper
(have her get a 'card') for groceries...and of course Wallyworld otherwise. That downtown mall is basically the place to go . The other mall has little to offer . I work for CVS and have done work up there .The best scenery is now and for a month. She can go to NY which has outlets and more only about an hour away too. :) GARY

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kanabrew said:
Very pretty town.Not a good place for JLs. CVS is the drugstore to visit...Price Chopper
(have her get a 'card') for groceries...and of course Wallyworld otherwise. That downtown mall is basically the place to go . The other mall has little to offer . I work for CVS and have done work up there .The best scenery is now and for a month. She can go to NY which has outlets and more only about an hour away too. :) GARY
I've never seen a JL in any CVS... hmmm. As a side note, my old girlfriend used to go out with Tom Ryan! My old supervisor was a close friend of TR's as we;; (wonder if either of them would tell him to stock JL's for me???LOL)

I'm a bit conflicted about my daughter ..... could be awesome to have someone "hunting" a different area from me, but the parent in me just wants her to to well in school and focus on that. :( :lol:

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
We just returned from a few days in Southern Vermont (Manchester, Mt. Bromley) and it was alot of fun. However, if I lived there and had to rely on the local stores for my collection, I would have a very small collection! The stores are few and far between (in fact the whole trip we didn't see a store bigger than Rite Aid!) and from what I hear from the Brand X collectors, it's a veritable dead zone for newer stuff.

So, my advice to you would be to tell her to enjoy her studying, because the time spent on the hunt would in all likelihood be a waste. As much as there are few stores, that stock infrequently, there are collectors waiting on those stores, too!

Have her spend her free time practicing photography if she's inclined, there's certainly alot of material to work with up there!

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
CTWLSMIKE said:
Have her spend her free time practicing photography if she's inclined, there's certainly alot of material to work with up there!

Yes, she loves photography and is planning on joining a photography club on campus. She loves the outdoors, camping and hiking, and is majoring in Geology (guess 'cause Dad has lots of rocks in his head! :lol: ), so she'll get to see a lot of it. Now if I could just get her to take pictures of the JL display at TRU, we could kill two birds with one stone!!! :thumbsup:

By the way, anyone who visits southern Vermont and loves good BBQ has got to stop at Curtis' in Putney ;)

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
We've stayed in Putney a few times and planned on going in November to visit Santa's land again before our younger kids get too old for it! Is Curtis's open all year around? Hope so because we love BBQ!

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
CTWLSMIKE said:
We've stayed in Putney a few times and planned on going in November to visit Santa's land again before our younger kids get too old for it! Is Curtis's open all year around? Hope so because we love BBQ!
I'm not sure... he's located in a field on Rte.5, right next to Rod's Mobil gas station. Curtis' doesn't have a phone, but the station's number is (802) 387-4771, and he has a "mobile" set up that he brought to downtown Brattleboro in the winter for a while. I lived in Louisiana for 3 years, and have tried all kinds of BBQ, but Curtis' is the best I've ever had, and every year I make the 2 hour drive just to get a couple of orders!

Note: I have to drive right near the place on I-91 to get to my daughter at UVM!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Hemmings Motor News is based there, they have an old style gas station they have restored, visitors are always welcome.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Rod's Mobil, that's funny. Been there a few times stayed at the Putney Inn several times and sure we'll look into the BBQ in November when we head up there. Will report back then.

About 18 years ago my wife and I went to VT. with another couple. Their car broke down on I-91 (head gasket) and had to be towed to, yep, Rod's Mobil! Stayed at the Putney Inn that night, too. :D

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How could you be at Rod's Mobil and not see Curtis' in the field nest door, or just smell it for that matter????? Then again, having a car towed in with a blown HG could make it difficult to think of other things at the time...

By the way, the original purpose of this thread was to see if we had any BB members in Burlington, and none have checked in yet! Are there any???

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
carnut2256 said:
How could you be at Rod's Mobil and not see Curtis' in the field nest door, or just smell it for that matter????? Then again, having a car towed in with a blown HG could make it difficult to think of other things at the time...

By the way, the original purpose of this thread was to see if we had any BB members in Burlington, and none have checked in yet! Are there any???
You know it was a long time ago that it happened, but we do seem to remember a BBQ going on behind the gas station on the Sunday night it happened, but the next day when we went back to the gas station, it was gone!

Anyone else from VT?

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CTWLSMIKE said:
You know it was a long time ago that it happened, but we do seem to remember a BBQ going on behind the gas station on the Sunday night it happened, but the next day when we went back to the gas station, it was gone!

Anyone else from VT?
Well, see, Curtis' isn't actually a brick and mortar building, it's kinda a "mobile" type of thing.... he has a "towable" BBQ on a trailer, which is attached to an old school bus that he uses as the serving station ...... now, don't let this throw you, he actually runs a clean, first rate operation and has been there over 20 years that I know of personally.... and he usually stays right in that field from spring to fall. He's added a number of things over the years, from a canopied seating area, to swing sets for the little ones. He's been written up in everything from Yankee magazine to the Wall Street Journal (honest!).

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Didn't my ex-wife call and tell me tonight that she stopped there on her way back from UVM the other night, and to tell me she was just finishing the last of her take-home!!! LOL (I drove home late at night the night before!) :mad:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts