Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some pics from my first metal body kit:

The body needed some work to make it movie accurate (some silver accent removal), plus BMF chrome and interior detail work (I used Testor's flocking, wired the distributor, and added a bracket for the battery box).

I was never a fan of pre-painted metal body kits, but this one was a lot of fun. While the movie was not McQueen's best, it definitely had the best car chase.

Deane

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
Yeah, the film moves kinda slow, but it has what many still consider to be the best car chase sequence in film history, and Steve McQueen did all of his own driving--not many big-shot stars can lay claim to that.

Very nice kit! The only thing that really gives away the scale is the thickness of the wind-wing frame. Is it the 1/25 Revell?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, terryr, that is the primo site that I used for reference (in addition to the DVD). McQueen himself drove the famous scene where he overshot the turn. Best editing decision ever was keeping that in.

Thanks, Zombie_61! Yes, it is the Revell kit. I agree with you about the side windows. That is a part of the metal body and I didn't feel comfortable cutting it out.

Deane

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Great Model!
its nice to see, that with some effort, that metal body kit can look terrific.
I like the added interior details.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Beautiful work Daikins! I built one as well, but probably not as accurate as yours:

Definitely a great kit. I wish I would have bought another. Hard to find kits now except for the bay.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
superduty455 said:
Beautiful work Daikins! I built one as well, but probably not as accurate as yours:
Thanks! I added a bit of flat black paint to the license plate holders and rear bumper/ gas cap. The original had the silver side trim removed, so a little non-acetone nail polish remover on a q-tip will take it off immediately.

Our wheels look different, but mine came stock from the Revel kit. You did a great job with the engine compartment.

Did you build the Charger?

Deane

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Hi Deane! Nope, didn't build the Charger. That one had a lot more items that needed fixing. I usually buy the diecast kits for a quick fix when I am model blocked.

As for the Mustang wheels, nope, I think we have the smae exact wheel. Might be lighting or angles that make them appear different.

Chris

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
superduty455 said:
I usually buy the diecast kits for a quick fix when I am model blocked.

Chris
My feelings, exactly. The "CSI:Miami H2" is on hand for the next model block.

Best,

Deane

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I built that one out-of-box a while back. It makes a nice shelf piece.

Quick trivia note: have any of you ever counted the number of hubcaps lost by the Charger during the chase? :p

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
BTW, for any McQueen fans that don't already know about it, the "two-disc special edition" DVD of Bullitt has a great documentary on Steve McQueen, a good (but short) doc about the focus on reality during the making of Bullitt, and (for those who care) a third doc on movie editing that pretty well covers the history of editing in film. Well worth the Washingtons! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
SWEET! Nice work! :thumbsup: Last summer we saw that film at the drive in with American Graffiti...that was soooo cool.... Lotz of vintage cars and a few forest green 67 fastback stangs.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Zombie_61 said:
BTW, for any McQueen fans that don't already know about it, the "two-disc special edition" DVD of Bullitt has a great documentary on Steve McQueen, a good (but short) doc about the focus on reality during the making of Bullitt, and (for those who care) a third doc on movie editing that pretty well covers the history of editing in film. Well worth the Washingtons! :thumbsup:
Oh yeah that was a great doc. The Mustang-Charger car chase in this movie is the longuest in the Hollywood history. Second is in the original ''Gone in 60 seconds''. Also how can't forget the '70 Challenger R/T in ''Vanishing point'' and it's fatal end!!!

In '70 LE Mans movie , McQueen also did the driving. The insurance company didn't want to so he replaced the stunt driver without nobody knowing it and did what HE wanted to do: racing on the Le Mans circuit.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Thats the advantage of having a stunt driver that looks like your double.
Rockford had a stunt guy that also was very similar to Garner, even to the haircut. Wasn't he in Lemans too?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts