Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm trapped at work tonight for 13 hours, driving around the state looking for snow. Yea, they love the weather stories. I'm in a live truck which provides me with a table, laptop & a cell phone, so what would you do? Yep, I stopped by my LHS & picked up two kits! Moebius' Green Goblin & Pegasus' Alpha Centauri UFO! I came prepared with my portable tool box of glue, X-Actos & such so I'm going to update all through the night (till 3am!) of how my build is going.

My LHS, the Apponaug Color Shop in Warwick, RI
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/Prince_of_Styrene_II/Spaceman%20Spiff/LHS.jpg

The two kits, Gobby & the AC UFO
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/Prince_of_Styrene_II/Spaceman%20Spiff/new_kits.jpg

First off, I love the UFO!!! The size of the ships is awsome for a 2-pack!! The parts are well molded, not overdone in detail (I don't think you need it), though perhaps a bit soft in the details used. It's all good, because it's just a fun kit! The two Greys you get are 1.5" tall & the ship is just over 3.5" across- so very cool!!
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/Prince_of_Styrene_II/Spaceman%20Spiff/AC_parts.jpg

Since you get two, I can have fun with one. My plan is to turn it into Spaceman Spiff's ship, from the old Calvin & Hobbes comic. So I ran back into my LHS & purchased 3 rods of styrene to fill in the holes around the edges. It's going well, but it looks like I'll need to run by Wal-Mart & pick up some Bondo, too. Good thing there's one near the station.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/Prince_of_Styrene_II/Spaceman%20Spiff/fill_holes.jpg

More to come!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Another "Adventures in Scale Modeling" show.

Andy, I like your idea of Spaceman Spiff, one of my favorite Calvin adventures. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Snow chaser? That a first for me!

You do know I hate you. Pizza, and I'm not there!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And boy was that pizza goooood!! :thumbsup:

Yea, our station is crazy about the weather coverage. I did live hits about every 5 minutes from 10 to 11:30.
LIVE PINPOINT DOPPER WEATHER!!!!!

Okay, some progress is made during the live shots between 10 & 11. The smaller holes are filled in & sanded down, but I'll have to wait to use my dremel for the larger holes on the bottom half. The seat is two pieces (fromt & back) & the cockpit is 5 pieces, four are assembled here. The cockpit sits directly on the inner side of the bottom hull where you see the circular indention. It has reasonably good detail & I'll only have to do minimal mods to make it more accurate to Spiff's ship.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/Prince_of_Styrene_II/Spaceman Spiff/progress1.jpg

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Were you knocking around New York way? That looks like part of the Empire state building,but I know it's not. It looks like Rockefeller center plaza.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
POS II, you just showed me something I did not know! And that is the Alph Centauri UFO kit which I never knew, has two ships in the box. I've skimmed over it in my web surffing and filed away in my brain the thought of buying one soon into the new year. WELL CRAP! I didn't have any idea they were sooo small. Can't tell you how disappointed I am, because I really thought it/they looked so cool! I can only hope, by some miracle, you read your ruler wrong and that they are actually much larger. DOUBLE CRAP!! I hope you can post some pics when you're done and maybe I will be inspired after seeing one built. And maybe you could set something next to it for size reference? TRIPPLE CRAP!!!

Well looks like I won't be getting any sleep tonight from worring about it. Just kidding of course, but I was shocked when I looked at your pics because as I stated, I've never really done any deep web searching for this yet. If I had, maybe I wouldn't be whinning and crying so much about here! Look forward to seeing some finished pics. Be sure and tell us how many weeks, uh, days, uh, I mean minutes it took you to build them. :lol: I can see that you're doing a little scratching or something or another, so it may take you, what all day to finish it if that's the case?.Whew!

hal9001-

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Were you knocking around New York way? That looks like part of the Empire state building,but I know it's not. It looks like Rockefeller center plaza.
That's the Fleet building in downtown Providence.

POS II, you just showed me something I did not know! And that is the Alph Centauri UFO kit which I never knew, has two ships in the box. I didn't have any idea they were sooo small. I can only hope, by some miracle, you read your ruler wrong and that they are actually much larger. And maybe you could set something next to it for size reference? TRIPPLE CRAP!!!
Nope, sorry, Hal, that's the size they are. I'll post a pic with my glove or ruler or something else tomorrow.

Okay, it's 2:45am & time to shut down the truck. I've been back & forth across the state twice & got some nice pictures, & that's snow joke!! :D
As for the build, I spent some time marking what I can remove & where I can add things like the twin tail fins. More pics to come. Thanks for watching everyone! It made the night less lonely. :)

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, it's now almost 11am & I've been back at work for about 2 hours now. More running around to do today, but I think I'll be able to get some more done. Double murder in Providence last night, H1N1 clinic in Fall River, MA & then I can work a bit. Pics to come!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Okay, a bank robbery in East Providence & a breaking & entering in Coventry. It's been a busy day with no time for building... yet. Still four hours to go in my shift. Truthfully, I'm crashing bad, way tired. I'm off to get something to eat & hit Michael's- gonna grab some Sculpey (it's on sale!) for creating Calvin. Four packs for $5!!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The fins are on & looking pretty good! Even though Spiff's ship varies in it's small details from strip to strip, it looks like the dome is relatively consistant with this image. So it looks like I'll be cutting down the height just a bit. Fortunantly there's some vertical height on the dome before it curves. Otherwise it's looking awsome!!!
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/Prince_of_Styrene_II/Spaceman Spiff/fins_dome.jpg

About a half hour to go till I'm outta here. I think it's a good stopping point, so I'm gonna put my camera gear away, pack up the kit stuff & head home. Night everyone! :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Lovin' it :thumbsup:

Spaceman Spiff has always been my favorite part of Calvin & Hobbes. I could read a whole book of his exploits. :D

Lookin' forward to more progress. Keep it up! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey, I love your modeling on the run!! I'm glad to know there are more crazies like me out there!! :)

I was building on my lunch hour a few years back. I took a seat out of my van for more room and a work surface. The van has double sliding doors for ventilation and temp control, turned up the stereo.. It was great! It had a 12v outlet in the back that got me thinking as how to add a small air compressor... lol! I did get a LOT more stuff done tho!!

Keep up the great work!! I love the Spaceman Spiff idea!!!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, in keeping with the spirit of the first few posts, I brought it with me to work again, as I usually have time between 10 & 11 to play. Here you can see the top has the fins & I've sanded the Bondo smooth. On the bottom I puttied the "iris door" & you can see the result after sanding smooth two of the filled holes. So far, so good.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/Prince_of_Styrene_II/Spaceman Spiff/sanding.jpg

·
Starship Class
11,858 Posts
Fascinating! Good to keep the mind and hands busy that way. That's a cool subject, too.

I reckon you would be busy working at the only TV station in RI, right? :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts