Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have finally figured out where to squeeze my table into the house. I'll be able to do a 4' x 10' that fits perfect. I was originally planning on a 4' x 8', but realized I could get some extra length in by using up what would amount to dead space anyway.

:( Here's the problem... I live in Georgia and didn't have the extra $20k for a basement and my two wheeled toys are taking up the room in my garage. Therefore, I'm stuck with putting the track in an upstairs spare room. The layout of my house is not at all condusive to getting a 4' x 10' table up to the room. Not to mention the standard ceiling height limitations.

:confused: Now my question... Can I build two 4' x 5' tables and connect them once in the room and still have a sturdy enough table to support what I'm trying to do with it? To make matters worse, I plan to store a futon under the table when not in use (fortunately, it's rarely in use). This means that I would prefer to not have what would amount to center supports.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!!

CJ

BTW - This board rocks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a 4x10 table as well but I made mine one piece for the most part. I wanted those 2 extra feet as well but I used a whole 4x8 sheet and add 2ft to one side. To accomplish this I ran a 2x6 under the section where the 4x8 and 4x2 pieces met. Before I put the 1x4 table sides on it was a floppy sucker. But just the solid walls tightenned it up a lot. So this combined with maybe even just a couple more boards running the length of the table underneath would work.

You could easily do what you are saying. The question is how permenant can the construction of the table be? You want to shove stuff under the table and thats fine, but will there ever come a time when the table has to be disassembled and moved around? If not just build it in 2 sections like you want. But you will need some kind of support framing under the center of the table. I think you could do this, just takes a little brainstorming and some sawing! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My original plan was to do the 4X8 + 4X2. It's hard to describe the layout of my house, but let's just say that 8ft. ceilings and impossible access to the stairs makes it difficult to get a 4x8, much less a 4x10 table up the stairs.

As far as permanent goes... Once it's up, I don't plan on it coming down until I move. So I guess you could say the table is permanent. The track will wait awhile before it's nailed down, but that will just be track nails. Stuffing stuff underneath causes the problem with the center support. I'm still trying to figure that part out. The table will be approx. 30" off the ground, the futon underneath will be approx. 24" off the ground. Doesn't allow for much of an angled support.

I'll have to do some serious looking, but I don't think building it in the room will solve the problem. As stated above, my ceilings are only 8ft and my stairway is in the worst possible place it could be for gettting a 8ft piece of wood (plywood or 1x4) up the stairs. Not saying it's impossible, but won't be easy.

Thanks for the input so far!!!

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
What we built

We built this a couple of years ago to hold an old O guage train layout for the holidays, but had to build it in 3 pieces to surround an interior wall.

The framework is 2x4's on end, two tables bolt together as shown. The top surface is 1/2" plywood. The legs are surplus oak stair spindles with one of the square ends cut off so they are 30.5" table legs, stained with a little polyurethane. They are held in place by 3/8" carriage bolts, countersunk so they are flush on the outside and held by wingnuts on the inside so it comes up and down easily. We put a 6" trim piece on the outside (routed as shown) to cover everything up and to provide a lip on top, then put a coved 1x2 on top (my friend has a router table which made it easy, but this wasn't tough work). I wouldn't want to dance on it, but it is plenty strong, and it looks like furniture (wife likes it), not a sawhorse. There are no diagonals. We cut the trim on 45 degree angles to line everything up when in gets pulled tight.

I am building a "sometimes portable" slot car layout the same way, not as involved, but I want to be able to transport it. I don't have a basement either, and if it's going to be in the house it's not going to stand out as the ugliest thing in a room.....

Maybe this will give you an idea or two.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
How about a fold up leg in the center?? You could slide the futon out and fold the leg back down. The rear center leg could be stationery.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
SplitPoster that is awesome. I have to build a large table for my nephews Lionel layout and that's a good design idea. :thumbsup:

Do you have cross bracing on the legs also? I'm sure my nephew and niece will be crawling around on the table so I want to make sure it's strong and stable.

-Scott

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Thanks SV,

There aren't any cross braces on the legs. There are 3 separate tables, all different shapes, and we positioned the 4 legs on each to evenly spread the load. The tops (actually each end, before we cut one off) of these spindles are square, and we positioned them in corners where practical. We talked about putting another piece of wood butted up against each leg on the open side, but it wasn't necessary. The legs are oak, so I don't think splitting or breaking is very likely.

The table sits in my foyer (and dining room), and when bolted together moves like one (heavy) piece of furniture.

I can email you pictures if you'd like.

Jeff

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you are going to leave it there until you move, I would build it in the room. Although my permanent track is at the other end of my basement, I attached a picture of the bar I built, in the room with hardwood floors already installed. It is very close to the construction of the previous pictures posted in this thread. Even if you cut the plywood to get it up stairs and screw it on a solid foundation, you won't notice any weakness. I went to HDepot and picked up the banister legs, cut them down and screwed the back portion of the bar to the wall. I did not screw the legs to the floor and even after 6 years, you cannot budge this top. I used three pieces of plywood cut down and it is supported by 1 by 2's underneath. The total length and width is 12' X 2' 6"

Good Luck with your decision!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys all ROCK!!!!!!!!!!

All very good ideas. I'm really liking what you have going on SplitPoster! If you could email me some pics, I'd be forever greatful!

I may rock the 3 tables per Crimnick's suggestion, as it would make moving the tables up, MUCH easier.

With any luck, I'll get started this weekend! If I do, I'll get some pics to post!

CJ

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
more pictures

Tables coming apart this week (sigh). This is a Christmas/holiday thing.

Two 3/8" bolts hold each section together. The outer carriage bolts hold the legs up are captive behind the trim, but you can see back 2 on the far table.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great pic SplitPoster! Gives me a very good idea of what the joint will look like. Any chance I can see the angled cuts on the trim that you mentioned earlier. Also, I'm still debating whether or not I can get away without center support. What do you have going on there?

I now have all of my wood cut (hopefully, correctly!) We'll see how the day goes, but I'm not confident that this weekend will result in pictures. :eek:(

CJ

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
This may be SOP for woodworkers and cabinet makers, but I am niether, here is inner and outer joint as made by one. I could handle the inner one (lower right), the outer one was better done by my friend with the right tools. Note - those are 2 pieces of wood cut separately then glued/nailed. The overlap tidies things up and aligns. Second note: a cheap nail or brad gun (if you have an air compresser) makes all the difference.

I have no center support, only legs around the edges. Longest tables are 6.5 feet, with 1x6, 1x4 trim glued and nailed serving as laminated beams there is no sag. IMHO, if you need a border around the table to hold cars (or trains in this case) on anyway, and you can take advantage of it to make the table stronger and better looking, why not?

There are mutiple cross braces within 2x4 frame, but no center legs. That said I wouldn't do a 10 ft. span with 4 legs either, but could you position removable legs to put what you want under the table and get it in and out?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts