Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a link to the electrical work done on this model.
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=271911
Lots of fiber in the cockpit and two awesome orange leds power the engines.

With that side of the work concluded, it was time for the putty/file/primer/sand shuffle.

I'll be doing the first 'factory coat' of paint tonight. Here's what has immediately led up to this wonderful milestone.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All taped up for the first color pass.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A little on the purpler side of blue, I still have a ways to go on this paint job before it is done.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
wicked!

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your comments, guys! Apart from being set a distinct depth, that amber led does all the magic itself.

From the second tape job, I got 2 tones of gray and a yellow on the body. The engine rings, canopy and my hood ornament were done in red independent of the model itself.

I'm not completely sold on the red yet. I roughed up the gloss blue into a dull steel blue which is much nearer the tone I had in mind, but in doing so the neighboring yellow went a dash green'ish. That is easily fixed.

Next up are some spot colors here and there which will be hand brushed. I may do one last pass with spray cans, but the way this metallized silver hates the upper paint coats, insofar as the tape is tearing it off in sheets, has me hesitating as there would be very minor sections of another spray color. I could lose more factory color area than is gained with the new color (probably a dull primer green).

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Additional:

Does anybody have an excess of modern jet fighter decals they are looking to rid themselves of? I want to plaster the body with warning decals, stripes, arrows and all the misc. stuff you find on our modern day fighter jets.

While the kit is 1/24, I think most any scale will work for this endeavor. There may certainly be some interesting 1/72 or 1/144, but perhaps 1/48 and larger for text boxes.

Anyone that has any spares they wouldn't mind passing along, please pm me.

Much appreciated!
-t

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The short of it:
The checkerboard really shows where this paint job can go.
Decals will knock it out of the park
Adding a spot dull green to random panels.
Possible other minor spot colors for the greeblie highlight here or there.

The long of it:

---------------------------------------
It's been a long time since I've been inspired to shoot, process and upload IP work.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Canopy is now yellow, reinforced on the inside frame with styrene sheet and glued to the body.

I shot some blue spray can into a paint well and hand brushed some panels back in. I can't risk pulling up anymore paint from the body of this model. The brushed results won't be known until the paint has cured and is scuffed down to match the rest of the surface.

ps. I should be all set on the jet fighter decals -thanks Ed!

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks. Here's some more.

All the main colors are down, leaving some reandom spot colors on a few greeblies as it occurs to me to do them. The blue patching worked great and the green could not have been a better choice, methinks. While the paint work is now perfectly aged, it now needs the weathering and decals. Or the decals and weathering. It will be easier to weather over the decals, so they are next.

After ~2:40, the rest of the video is just close up surface passes, no talking.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Wow, this turned out really nice.

I hadn't seen it since you first got the kit, so this was quite a surprise. I'll have to keep your painting techniques in mind as I had never known how to produce that effect before.

The other nice thing I like is that it isn't the same A-Wing we generally see (over and over again), it has it's own unique character.

Great work! :thumbsup:

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks as always all.

The other nice thing I like is that it isn't the same A-Wing we generally see (over and over again), it has it's own unique character.
I'm liking this concept too. I'm glad I didn't go canon or by concept design.

One of my youtubers actually had something of a hissy fit a couple weeks ago when I was thinking of the McQuarrie paint job, and that by not matching the studio model exactly and that I had ruined this otherwise fine ship. lol.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
1st round of decals. More are enroute.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
2nd to last step
Having just gotten yesterday the guns, aft body plates and a freaking awesome pile of old jet fighter decals from Ed, I can wrap this up. Muchos Cheerios to ModelNutz, the primate with the gun!

So, it's painting a few small areas so far untouched, dropping some last decals on, some weathering (it definitely got age, now needs weather) and that is that. Should be done tomorrow at long last.

(Just in time too as I came across a CC X-Wing and should have that next week!)

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Should have another installment up this afternoon and looking to finish this off tonight.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some more decals are going on the guns, but the body is done, pending weathering coming up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts