Hobbyist Forums banner

Buick Riviera restoration

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Andy Oldenburg 
#1 ·
See less See more
#14 ·
I didn't like the stance, so i moved the front axle to a higher hole in the front
DSCF9186 by aus_mus, on Flickr
DSCF9185 by aus_mus, on Flickr
Looks like a cool ride now, color matches well. Chrome seem to be a mix of bare metal und molotov. The front grill and the rear bumper look fresher than on your original pics. Did you do them too?

#11 ·
#12 · (Edited)
it's not a kit, but a promotional model (promo) from Buick. You could buy them from the dealer back in the day.
it has a one piece chassis with metal axles and minimal detail. AMT produced both promo and kits of the same cars in the 60s, usually using the same molds, but added more detail to their build-up kits. AMT and Johan did Ford, GM and Chrysler products.
Ebay has a separate category under model building for Promo

#13 ·
Yes, it's a kit made by AMT. Not a promo. AMT did not make kits for dealers, those were sold in stores. I have three of this same kit, and I have that's a dealer promo. I have never heard of a Buick dealer selling AMT kits, but possibly one did so but that would have been very rare.

I know about ebay, I have a collection of about 600 promos dating back to the very first plastic dealer promo from 1947, made by PMC in 1/24th scale. You picked a great model to restore, a beautiful car. But it's not called a "promo". Dealer promos were very popular in the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's, and faded in popularity after that. PMC, AMT and Jo-Han were the largest manufacturers (PMC left the industry in 1960). MPC began making promos in the mid 1960's and quickly overtook AMT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.