Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm working on a car kit and was wondering how you guys buff out paint to a really smooth finish? any particular products or techniques? the problem is that a small amount of over spray invariably gets on areas already painted, leaving those areas grainy looking. even 2000 grit wet sandpaper seems to be too course ... :confused:

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I'm not a car modeler but I have had to buff out the paint job on a few sci-fi models (like my flyng sub).

The best product for this, in my experience, is an automotive polishing compound. I use Turtle Wax White Polishing Compound (it's a couple of years old so I'm not sure of it's current availability). It comes in a container much like car wax but it's NOT wax and contains no waxes, solvents or silicones.

It's a creamy, water soluble compound with a consistency not unlike lard. Rub it in with a damp, soft cloth (this assumes you've already wet-sanded out the "lumps"). Give the paint job a final buff with a soft cloth. It works well for my purposes.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
i've heard of using toothpaste ( though i've never tried it) not sure what brand(s) would work best as some seem grittier than others . ya might want to check out a car modelling forum .
hb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts