Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This car is over 40 years old and not 1 comment about the actual car? Wow.

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
A friend at work who is an authority on Matchboxes gave me some Budgie history last week when I asked him about my black Moko London Taxi. He told me, "If it was originally black and not repainted somewhere along the line, it's a Budgie, not a Lesney. Budgie bpught the tooling after Lesney was done with it. All Lesneys of that casting were maroon". At first I thought mine had been repainted with a brush, but a thorough cleaning showed that it had it's original paint in surprisingly good condition. Somebody in it's past had paint-detailed it, but I managed to bring it back to a pretty presentable condition:

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
These are British. They were kinda known as copies of Matchboxes.
They're so much like'em that you'd swear they bought Lesneys old molds.
This Beatle looks like one, the #9 Merryweather Fire Truck, the #46 Pickfords removal Van, amoung others look like Lesneys big time.
An interesting little bit of British diecast history.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
lummox, corvairjim just stated they used old lesney molds. so that is why they are nearly the same...nice find just needs a resto on that old beetle. that is one casting i do not have any of and that is the older beetle in stock form(have the custom vw from HW but thats it) have not ran across any yet for some odd reason.

·
Registered
308 Posts
True that they used same molds...........Nice taxi and that VW looks like a Tootsie toy model. :thumbsup:
Don't agree! This car according to expert author Robert Newson in his book" Budgie Models" pub in 1988, states that the Budgie VW has a silver baseplate. Tootsies were known for having an open base with axles and wheels attached to the posts extending from the inside of the casting.

Also Newson makes no mention of acquiring Budgie old MB dies and tools. However he does indicate that Rodney Smith , formerly of and a co- founder of MB did make some models for Morris & Stone ( Morestone) and affiliate Modern Products in England ; as R Smith ( Diecastings) Ltd. Modern also issued some of their products as "Esso Pertrol Pump miniatures" and sold them in a box printed like a gasoline pump. The VW 1200 #8 was first issued in 1956 and lasted up to about 1970. The Austin FX3 Taxi #13 was issued in 1957 and lasted in production til about 1964.
Hope this helps.

The Budgie toys name and products disappeared in about 1985 as a result of numerous acquisitions of this firm.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
It's been a couple years since I've discussed Budgies, so I sorta forgot,
but in fact Budgies were not made from MB molds.
As DaWebber says above, Rodney Smith did work with Budgie models after Lesney, but in everything you can read about it, there is never anything mentioned about MB molds.

Also, the proof is right here in my hands, I have the Lesney #9 Merryweather Fire Truck, and the Budgie #59 Fire Engine. From a glance they look identical big time, but compare the two a little closer and you can easily tell they are completely different.
Same goes with the MB #46 Pickford Removal Van. The #59 Budgie Removal van is shorter and narrower by about a quarter of an inch! Basically everything is different up close.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Don't agree! This car according to expert author Robert Newson in his book" Budgie Models" pub in 1988, states that the Budgie VW has a silver baseplate. Tootsies were known for having an open base with axles and wheels attached to the posts extending from the inside of the casting.

Also Newson makes no mention of acquiring Budgie old MB dies and tools. However he does indicate that Rodney Smith , formerly of and a co- founder of MB did make some models for Morris & Stone ( Morestone) and affiliate Modern Products in England ; as R Smith ( Diecastings) Ltd. Modern also issued some of their products as "Esso Pertrol Pump miniatures" and sold them in a box printed like a gasoline pump. The VW 1200 #8 was first issued in 1956 and lasted up to about 1970. The Austin FX3 Taxi #13 was issued in 1957 and lasted in production til about 1964.
Hope this helps.

The Budgie toys name and products disappeared in about 1985 as a result of numerous acquisitions of this firm.
Other then adding the Budgie Taxi no.13 (60's) was originally a Morestone Esso Petrol Pump Series model (1957).

I agree with the above - Here are a few pics Budgie and Matchbox side by side - to show some differences.

Oh here is an Interview (printed) with Rodney Smith that does mention him using molds from Lesney after he started R. Smith (Diecasting) Ltd. in 1954. Two molds mentioned are the Steam Roller & the Cement Mixer used again by R. Smith (Diecasting) Ltd.. He left Lesney in 1951 according to interview.

"Our first two toys at Lesney were the Steam Roller and the Cement Mixer and I started casting them again with R. Smith (Diecastings) Ltd and selling them"; Quoting Rodney Smith.

LINK to Interview content:

http://www.matchboxclub.com/acatalog/Historical_articles_on_Matchbox_and_their_famous_ranges.html

NUMBER ONE REASON TO COLLECT DIECAST : ENJOYMENT !!!
SO KEEP ON ENJOYING,
Dan (Zeezeerider)

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Methinks my friend at work isn't quite as much of a Matchbox authority as he led me to believe! The differences between the Moko Lesney Austin Taxi and the Budgie version are pretty clear in these pics.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Yep, easy to get confused though.
Ecspecially when budgie went as far as to use the same exact colors and even the same on them and even the same decal on the Moving Van!
I assumed they used Lesney molds for a long time, but I was just assuming.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts