Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I only have two Budgies, but I would like to add more to my collection, as they were very much like the early Matchbox that I have always loved. This one is in nice original condition and has very finely cast roof pillars. Even in the late 60s this brand had the knobby tires, and neither interiors nor windows! However, this petite toy has a metal base plate and great detail.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
that IS cool... never seen anything like it. About what scale is it? Close to old Matchbox?

Makes me wanna find a beater one to "finish" with interior and glass...

--rick

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Budgie was a British company in the 1960s, but at least one toy, a steam locomotive, was still available in the 80s. Budgie, originally known as the Morestone "Esso Petrol Pump" series and then owned by the Guiterman Co., competed with Lesney. This Olds "Town Sedan," series #21, is probably around 1:72, being 2 1/2 inches long (64 mm).

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Very nice Olds sedan!
I have a few Budgies as well mostly English made Fords etc. Also a beautiful mint VW bus.

These were same scale as early Matchbox cars. Almost identical to Matchbox cars (oddly without interior glass, seats).

I would almost swear they were both Lesney product by looking at them. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts