Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 572 Posts

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get some opinions on BSR Foam tires, My understanding is that the company has a New Line of foam codes.....Wanted to see if and how they compared to other companys tire foam.......
I know BSR no longer offers a Black foam tire..But they do offer "Gold" and "Silver"

Been told "Gold" compound is like a TRC "Black" & Silver compound is like a
Jaco "Black"....is this correct
I have switched to BSR tires and feel the new owner John is really promoting this hobby and giving what the racers want, Hopefully some of there team drivers can come on this thread to elaborate on the compounds.
Is there an updated tire chart somewhere that has these new compounds?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Bud, I run the Silver on my left front at one of the local tracks and yes it is alot like a Jaco Black. The Gold is more like a Jaco Gray to me!

J

·
0 Posts
Maybe someone can post DUROMETER readings on different tire manufacturer's compound for better comparison. Numbers wont lie.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been racing a large flat carpet track...Black ozite type.Was running trc black fronts and white rears....I refuse to run those Lime yellow rims anymore...I think BSR rims are the best on the market, Owner is a great guy...So I made the switch....
I agree with BRD..the silver seem like the old Jaco Black....Someone told me the BSR Gold is like the TRC and T/M Black....Was wondering if anyone else felt so...
As far as durometer's....it will give you density #'s but how about the natural rubber content...Was wondering if some of the team drivers for BSR can shed more light.....
The track is where the nationals were held (Radical Ricks), I saw 3 pinks and a purple work good on this track however you need to run offset,,,,That is why most run Black Fronts..White rears...straight up pod

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
What class are you running?

Here is what I run for stock with bsr tires
LF: Gray/silver (some people call it a white/silver)
RF: Silver
LF: White
RR: Gray or Double Gray or even a Gold (Seeing how John has a good tire selection you have 3 tires to pick from just depending on what the car is doing)

I think the 19turn guys are running:
Double Pinks and a Purple Right front!

Brooks

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
BSR duromoter readings
Green.....30 +/-
Blue......50 +/-
White.....30 +/-
Gray......35/40 +/-
Pink......30 +/-
Double Pink...35 +/-
Purple....40 +/-
Double Purple.45 +/-
Red.......40/45 +/-
Gold......40 +/-
Silver....45 +/-

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run 19T........At the nationals I saw some
team guys running 3 pinks and a purple....But I think they were running offset....
I havent purchased any Offset rear hubs and since my cars handles real good with Blacks and white in straight up pod....Was wondering If any of BSR's stuff was close to the TRC stuff....so My setup would stay the same.....

·
Registered
959 Posts
Bud, Just let me know what track your running at and I'll do my best to help you out. I have been running BSR's for the last 5 years on all different tracks.

Later,
Rick Liehr

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
all of the guys i know either run 3 pinks and a purple in 19t

and in stock 3 whites and a gray right front, seem to work.. i have seen guys use pinks and purple, but some think they are a bit to agressive for stock....

this is on all of our flat tracks

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
ok good questions..

i recently switched from jacos to bsr tires.
i switched because i got to talk to john foister and he is one cool dude!
his rims are awesome as well as his gluing process. the foam stays on the rim!

now when i switched from 3 jaco pinks and a jaco black front to bsr foams i ran into problems.

first off..bsr pinks are softer than a jaco pink in my oppinion. sooo let me say this when i ran 3 jaco pinks and a black i went 56 4:00:67 at minnreg local carpet track..i just got to go back there with bsr tires for the 1st time. i struggled finding speed with 3 bsr pinks and a purple..a friend of mine told me about the pink deal..so i switched to 3 bsr double pinks and a bsr purple right front! my god what a difference! 56 4:02.57 with 3 double pinks and a purple..that is for 19 turn

i'm not so sure talking with john that the silvers or golds are jaco blacks? he has told me time and again that he does not have black fronts? and i have yet to try something like 3 double pinks and a silver or a gold? i have been told by john that a white lr a grey rr a gold lf and a silver rf works well also? i will try this combo next.

if john could change one thing i wish he would call his double pinks pink and his pinks a platinum or something like that? if you can find a trc platinum and duro it i think it's real close to a bsr pink? outside on slippery tracks i run a pink lr and a double pink rr works well... hope this helps..i'll run bsr tires with alot more confidence now..it's very hard asking every tire manufacturer to label there tires the same...but it does casue confusion for the racer..in the end that tire durometer is priceless...mainly my fault..but i got it worked out now... if you want quality and like black rims than bsr is awesome!

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Kat...what did the single pinks due?...bog the car down.....to tight.....Did the double pinks really loosen her up or just a little.......is this a flat ozite carpet track?.....I Agree with you Kat....John is a standup guy....Not many people in the northeast run BSR....That along with refusing to bolt those Lime green yellow crap TRC rims on my car are the reasons I made the switch......Best looking rim on the market today and I have yet to see the foam peel off.....

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
bud the double pinks put the car on top of the carpet again..i cant tell you how much of a difference they made! night and day..no matter what i did i was turning 4.4's put on the double pinks 4.2's with some 1's ...the pinks are just a tad too soft..flat carpet snowbird lay out..fact it is 03 snowbird carpet..04's was garbage so we keep using 03's..lol if john is at a race you attend you all need to go by and say hi..check out his tires while your at it..sometimes he has been known to help racers out..if ya know what i mean... great quality tires...great customer service...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Bud,

I was the only guy running BSR tires in the 19t turn A-main at Radical Ricks I ran 3 pinks and a purple/orange right front. At snowbirds I run the same but use a dbl purple rt front.

As for the silver/gold issue: It is a tire that only John at BSR has. Jaco and TRC have nothing like it. Silver and gold are the same compound of tire but silver is just ruffly 10 points harder. Sliver/Gold do not have the bite that a dbl Grey or Pink tire have. I feel that it is a good tire to run in stock and my be 19t on the rt front only. Fact of the matter Silver/Gold just does not have a lot of bite to it so what ever corner you put that tire on you are going to be taking traction away. I know Dusty Kemp won the ROAR nats in WI with golds on the right side of his car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would love to switch to bsr foams but we run 1/12 scale and have to run what we can find. is there a Florida or an internet sorce for these tires. I like Kat was at minnreg last week and had the fastest 1/12 scale 19 turn car there running white rears and black fronts the car would turn 4.3s but would like to have additional options.any ideas.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
TGM said:
I would love to switch to bsr foams but we run 1/12 scale and have to run what we can find. is there a Florida or an internet sorce for these tires. I like Kat was at minnreg last week and had the fastest 1/12 scale 19 turn car there running white rears and black fronts the car would turn 4.3s but would like to have additional options.any ideas.
Try rc4less.com as well as www.aaamodel.com as hey have mail order service.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
you do know bsr has new rims coming out for the 12th scale cars right? i should have some for the raffle july 24th..

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Monti007 said:
As for the silver/gold issue: It is a tire that only John at BSR has. Jaco and TRC have nothing like it. Silver and gold are the same compound of tire but silver is just ruffly 10 points harder. Sliver/Gold do not have the bite that a dbl Grey or Pink tire have. I feel that it is a good tire to run in stock and my be 19t on the rt front only. Fact of the matter Silver/Gold just does not have a lot of bite to it so what ever corner you put that tire on you are going to be taking traction away. I know Dusty Kemp won the ROAR nats in WI with golds on the right side of his car.
Monti is right about the Silver and Golds.
A BSR Gold durometers the same as a BSR Gray but has less bite.

On banked tracks like Classic and Sandhills I always used to run a Jaco Black on the LF and RR in stock. When I switched to BSR, I tried the Silver on the LF, and it worked out great. I tried running the Silver on the RR but even though it was a tad softer than the Jaco Black it would not bite as hard and the car got loose. I dropped to the Gold and all was fixed, the car remained free and fast.

John explained on a post I read a while back by him that the Gold and Silver family of foam was very similar to the old BSR blue rear foam.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I copied one of John's posts a while back

Per John Foister:
Green and blue are the traditional american made foam. All others are imported. White and gray are same foam with differing firmness. Longer wear than american made. Pink / purple family has higher rubber content therefore longer wear.
Gold and silver are simular to white and gray family but firmer. Testing so far has shown a gray at 39 and a gold at 39 to be very close but the gold has slightly less bite. The samples we have been testing and sending out to some show that these compounds may fill the void of the previous american blue foam but with an imported price. Altough I think you will see the american foam pricing rise somewhat when everyones inventory is used up and they reorder. So far I have found that the american foam pricing is catching up with the imported foam.

I have nothing like Jaco's black and he is the only one with it presently. Therefore I am not going to maskarade something else with a black sticker. Bsr's previous black was actually gray and gray was actually xx pink. Bsr gray was switched from xxpink to industry standard gray about a year ago.

1 - 20 of 572 Posts