Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Even though we're very new to this end of the sport ,,, I can see where THIS IS DEFFINITELY THE FUTURE ! We as racers might as well embrace it now as much as we have the new battery revolution .

Think of all the time you'll have to focus on other aspects of the sport , no more nights dynoing, trying different brushes " I bet I've spent hundreds on brushes over the years " and work on the chassis where the real race is won anyway. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Every track should have a brushless division as much as they should have a Spec division,,, it will probably take a couple years for the racers to come around to this type of thinking.

YEARS OF RACING WITHOUT ANY MOTOR MAINTAINANCE !!!!
HOW DO YOU TOP THAT ONE :wave:

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
In the Midwest, brushless is pretty much all there is... As far as oval racing in wisconsin, we no longer have any brushed classes.. I know 90% of the other tracks in the midwest are headed twoard or already the same as us..Chassis, chassis,chassis.. Brushless will help everyone learn how important chassis is..

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I will totally agree with Burbs!!!! I have learned alot more about chassis tuning since we got rid of brushed motors, more time to focus on the chassis.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
..but guys, some guys enjoy the motor building...that is a HUGE part of the hobby they enjoy...I know 10+ years ago, I loved the bench racing and tuning and tweaking almost more than the ON-TRACK results. Finding a 2% power increase in a motor was HUGE and very exciting...and when you could turn that into a .02 second a lap increase...that was fun too.

It's not quite a fair assesment , but to me it's kind of like taking a 70 Chevy 350 V-8 engine w/ old style POINT ignition and an old Carburetor vs. a Hi-Tech PORT Fuel Injected, computer controlled, electronic ignition system engine. One is FULL of Technology..and has some really cool features and will run STRONG - BUT - In the right hands...SO WILL THAT old 350, but it requires a lot more work to get there.

Joe Myers
South-West Tour "R/C Oval Series"
Official 'TOUR' Sponsors
FINISHLINE R/C Products
Jake's Performance Hobbies
Maverick Oval Chassis
McAllister Racing Bodies
STICK E.T. Tire Sauces
T.M. Racing Tires
WWW.SOUTHWESTTOUR.COM

·
Registered
328 Posts
"One is FULL of Technology..and has some really cool features and will run STRONG - BUT - In the right hands...SO WILL THAT old 350, but it requires a lot more work to get there."

I agree with you..... but I'll go with the new tech and spend my time on something else

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't see brushless taking over 100% here on the east coast for quite some time ,,, many years ,,, but it seems to be on the horizon as we all technically advance this sport.

How about this Spectrum on board telemetry ,, who ever thought ???

Even Battery's that never drop below 1.20 volts for a 4 min. race ???

It's coming if we like it or not .

I THINK ITS GREAT :thumbsup:

·
Registered
120 Posts
With brushless motors and way better batterys we could race more like the full sized cars. count laps not min. It would speed some track programs along too. and the 350 with a carb will get eaten by the injected motor look at your sprint car no carbs

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS OVAL THING FOR 21 YEARS AND I'M WAY OVER TINKERING WITH BRUSHES AND SPRINGS.. now if the florida hard core racers would just give in to the dark side ...

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
...we've got guys already asking tough questions...and most have never strapped a lipo or a B/L in their car...

Looking at the newest NOVAK 10.5 motor ratings makes me nervous

EX Sport-Series
10.5 WATTS 195 RPM/Volt (KV) 4200

SS Series
SS4300 WATTS 195 RPM/Volt (KV) 4200

SS Pro-Series
SS10.5 Pro WATTS 235 RPM/Volt (KV) 4200

So what does this mean..to the racers in the 4300/10.5 class? MOTOR of the WEEK? Or is it basically just a number to help create sales.

I'm going to ask Charlie, because I've already been asked this question 1/2 dozen times this week...

I know STOCK guys would KILL to find 25% more POWER

Joe Myers
Official 'TOUR' Sponsors
FINISHLINE R/C Products
Maverick Oval Chassis
McAllister Racing Bodies
STICK E.T. Tire Sauces
T.M. Racing Tires
WWW.SOUTHWESTTOUR.COM

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
swtour said:
...we've got guys already asking tough questions...and most have never strapped a lipo or a B/L in their car...

Looking at the newest NOVAK 10.5 motor ratings makes me nervous

EX Sport-Series
10.5 WATTS 195 RPM/Volt (KV) 4200

SS Series
SS4300 WATTS 195 RPM/Volt (KV) 4200

SS Pro-Series
SS10.5 Pro WATTS 235 RPM/Volt (KV) 4200

So what does this mean..to the racers in the 4300/10.5 class? MOTOR of the WEEK? Or is it basically just a number to help create sales.

I'm going to ask Charlie, because I've already been asked this question 1/2 dozen times this week...

I know STOCK guys would KILL to find 25% more POWER

SW

The new EX and old SS 4300's are basically the same motor. It’s a smart way of extending the product life cycle and also offers a good value to those looking to get into brushless.

The reason for the jump in power on the Pro 10.5/4300 version is that it is the only 4300 to come with a sintered rotor.

You would get similar numbers if you added a sintered rotoe to the other two versions.

The numbers will reflect a similar rating on EX/SS 13.5 vs a Pro 13.5 for the same reason.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Sonny,

That's kind of what I thought...and it made sense. The other thing I noticed on the spec sheet was the SSPro version and the EX Sport Version show input cells 4-7 whereas the SS4300 only showed 4-6. I would have attributed the higher wattage number on the Pro Series to this had the ExSport not also been shown with the 4-7.

I guess this kind of answers some questions also for those who have been asking about whether or not the Sintered Rotor is a FASTER motor. Most of us already felt...if it runs cooler, it would allow more gear to get to the same temp...more gear SHOULD = more speed (especially on a Velodrome or Large track), but if there is also an actual watt increase there should be some performance increase there too.

Joe Myers
Official 'TOUR' Sponsors
FINISHLINE R/C Products
Maverick Oval Chassis
McAllister Racing Bodies
STICK E.T. Tire Sauces
T.M. Racing Tires
WWW.SOUTHWESTTOUR.COM

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The most common response when I mention brushless to some one is " THE COST IS TOO MUCH " ,,,,,,,,,,,,well lets think about this ,,,,, Yes the initial cost is there ,, As I just bought a GTB and a 13.5 for $269.00 ,, but how many of us have had 3-4 brushed motors in our box , a dozen pairs of your favorite brushs / springs and a top notch brushed speedcontroller that added up to much more than that. Not even talking about your Lathe , Dyno , ect.

If you were to switch to brushless and have decent brushed equipment I'd guess that it would cost you around $100 to make the switch after you sold your other equipment. :thumbsup:

WITH THIS SPORT ,,,,,AS WE ALL KNOW ,,,, $ 100.00 is spent pretty easily. :rolleyes: :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts