Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with this new system from novak? I bought mine and installed it,pulled the trigger and the thing went up in smoke! Unit was very fast for about three seconds.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed it in a losi xxx-t pulled the trigger and then it smoked. One of my buddies bought one from the same hobby shop and his lasted about 15minutes then it smoked. Mine is at novak now,I am just waiting to get it back.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Joe Novak said:
I installed it in a losi xxx-t pulled the trigger and then it smoked. One of my buddies bought one from the same hobby shop and his lasted about 15minutes then it smoked. Mine is at novak now,I am just waiting to get it back.
Thats because the last good product Novak made was the C2....This is the same thing that happened with the Gt7 when it came out. If i were you, Id get it back, sell it, and wait for the remedied version.

R

·
0 Posts
The one thing I've heard from the guys at my local track is this. The current software on the speedo doesn't have a protective feature to turn off the motor before you initiate setup mode.

A lot of guys would turn it on and have it go up in smoke instantly. It would hit Forward and Reverse back and forth so quick it burns up the speedo. (Because it hadn't been set up with the radio yet.)

Their new software will disable the output to the motor until you have radio on and you've gone through setup mode. This is supposedly what has been burning up so many speedos.

Three guys at our track had the same issue, and all three have been told they would get the new software rev. once it's returned.

Randy Clements
SLC, UT

·
Registered
263 Posts
Does the old rule of "unplug your motor while you setup your speed control" no longer apply?

R

·
0 Posts
The speedo comes factory wired to the motor and battery connector. So no, I'm assuming they don't ask you to unplug the motor anymore for programming.

I even skimmed through the manual on Novak's website, and I don't see where they ask you to make sure and desolder the motor before you set it up.

Anyways, they are fixing the problem, so that is a good thing. They seem to be a good company -- go USA!

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's very odd. I wonder if the correct operation of the motor/ESC is dependent on the length of the motor wires?

If so, it could have bad implications for some vehicles where the motor and ESC have to be rather far apart.

R

·
0 Posts
No you can shorten or lengthen the three motor wires to whatever length you need. That's why they have solder posts on both the motor and speedo, for easy wire replacement. However, the bundle of sensor wires (6 thin ones) are pre-terminated at a set length with plastic connectors at both ends. I am unsure if you can buy different lengths of sensor wires -- the ones that ship with it are 9" long, as are the motor wires (9").

I've been able to see three of these systems installed in three different cars. (All of them touring cars - a Tamiya EVO III, a Losi XXX-S, and Tamiya TA-04.) I believe all three had shortened the motor wires for their installation, but had kind-of looped/bundled the sensor wire's extra length since you don't need 9" of wire in a touring car.

My one comment is that they run really quiet -- especially on that EVO 3 -- it has a really quiet drivetrain.

Randy

·
Registered
156 Posts
Set-up Button

Hello All,
I have had my brushless system for a while now, so far it has been outstanding. I too had the problem of it shorting out when I first tried it due to the fact that I did not follow directions....
After turning on the transmiter, YOU MUST DEPRESS THE SET-UP BUTTON WHILE YOU TURN ON THE SPEED CONTROL....
Since then, I have ran 15 or so packs thru it, with no problems.
Novak(Charlie) was more than helpful with the situation.
Currently I have it in a Gear-box sprint car, and with the loose dirt conditions that we race, I think that the brushless system (sealed) is the only way to go.
Only time will tell if the endurance of the whole unit, is sound and I feel that by the middle of summer we'll all have more feedback to give on this system. And by next year we will be saying you remember those brushless motors we used to run with a laugh... Just like we are doin with the Nicad/ NMH battery issue now..
E-Mail me for pic's of it in the sprint car...
Thanks,
Tom Murray
Jacksonville,IL
[email protected]

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hello All,
The rain finally stopped and we had our first dirt oval/ off-raod race of the season.
The Novak Brushless system scores its first win's of the season at Jacksonville R/C Speedway, In Jacksonville,IL...Saturday night May 31st.
They are:
Electric Sprint Class winner, Tom Murray
Electric Modified off-road winner, Joe Ryan..

There were 6 Novak SS Brushless systems run that night, 3 in the sprint class, and 4 in the Modified off-road classes.
All ran extremely well!!
Thanks,
Tom Murray
Jacksonville,IL.
[email protected]

·
Registered
241 Posts
What type of offroad cars were using the system? 2 wheel, 4 wheel, truck....etc.?

What exactly was the performance in each one? Compared to any mod motors these people would normally run?

Just by the actual usage of this system by the public, isn't impressing me with all the burnouts they apparently are having considering if you're not supposed to have the motor wired up, or to be sure you have your finger pressing the setup button before you turn the thing on, then why wouldn't they make more of a notification of this knowing that by not taking these crucial steps, $250 gets flushed right down the torlet? Or am I wrong?

I had contemplating buying one of these things myself just for s**ts and giggles in any r/c car I might have laying around which is why I was inquiring. $250 is a lot of money to be spending on something that might not be guaranteed to work.

I've noticed over the years that Novak seems to make products that either work great and succeed enormously, or they seem to fall flat on their face...such as the older Novak recievers which used to be some SERIOUS junk--remember the chrome ones??! (for the most part, not saying that at least SOME people haven't had some luck with them). They seem to have the problem straightened out now with their newest line of recievers though.

Then again, I could be wrong....it's just an objective opinion. :roll:

·
Registered
554 Posts
well i'd also like to try a brushless but i heard there not roar legal is this true?? and buff just as a sideline my old novak chrome receiver is goin stong!!
-matt :lol:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hello,
The Novak Brushless systems are being used in 2 wheel drive trucks, 4 MFXXX-t's and one team T3. And there are 5 being used in sprint cars.

Most of the drivers say they have more Hp than a 10X2. The motors unlike the brushed ones have not needed any maintenance. Most of us have not had them out of the car..

I have had over 40 battery packs thru mine, and the motor still feels as strong as the day I got it. So by the amount of trucks and cars that we have them in, if there were any probelms I think that we would have seen something by now..

But only time will tell, with technolgy as new as this, there might be some issues down the road, but so far so good.

One guy has had a complaint though, he snapped a mip cvd in to..LOL

It clearly states in the instructions the set-up procedure for the speed control, and they have it posted on the web site.

To me the wait was well worth it. Awesome power and reliability so far, and no maintenance...........

Thanks,
Tom Murray
Jacksonville,IL
[email protected]

·
Registered
182 Posts
The Novak brushless was the second brushless I have owned. The first was a 6 turn brushless based on the Hacker design (sensorless). The 6 turn kit was actually noticably faster than the Novak. But the Novak is actually drivable. The 6 turn brushless kit has very poor throttle response, and that makes it very hard to drive on a track. You have to be really "on" to drive it. The Novak is just as smooth as any brushed motor setup, and that makes the Novak a lot better for racing on a track. On the track, you cannot tell the difference between the Novak brushless and a 10 turn KR. It's really that smooth.

Compared to my Reedy KR 10x2, the Novak feels just as fast and just as smooth. The KR gets slower as the race day wears on, due to comm wear. If I don't periodically cut the comm, the KR eventually starts falling off. Admittedly, the KR lasts much longer between comm cuts than other mods that I have owned, but it still needs maintainance every 3-6 runs in order to run well. The Novak needs no maintainance. So it runs just as solid every run as it did the last run. So I can focus on chassis setup instead of motor maintainance.

The Novak is not ROAR legal, but both summer time tracks around here allow it, so ROAR legal is not a big deal right now. The two winter tracks may or may not allow it. There has not been a verdict either way at this point, but winter racing does not begin for several months. I'll be very happy if I can run the Novak during the winter, but I still have my Reedy KR to fall back on if I cannot run the Novak.

For US$250, the Novak brushless kit is a winner. When I bought the 6 turn sensorless brushless kit two years ago, I paid US$500 for it. So US$250 seems like a smoking deal to me. Additionally, a good mod motor and a good controller cost nearly US$250. Once you toss in the cost of spare brushes, an extra armature, and a comm lathe, the brushed combo actually costs a lot more than the Novak.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
What about the size of the Novak? It looked pretty big to me...

Since I really only run Oval... makes me wonder how far over weight I'd be if I tried to run it... I strugled to keep my car under weight all last season, and I had nothing unusualy large/heavy in my car...

1 - 20 of 81 Posts