Hobbyist Forums banner

Brushless ROAR Legal in 2005

15K views 127 replies 52 participants last post by  kevinm 
#1 ·
Just got my latest RevUp and I see that ROAR will make brushless motors legal in 2005. There will be two classes of motors limited by their winds... one is designed to perform about the same as a 10T motor and the other the same as a 27T motor.

Could be that within 5 years brushed motors will be a thing of the past!

#3 ·
Now that there are rules on the motor, I think Trinity better jump to or they may be on the outside looking in as many others have already got systems they now just have to tweek. This would be a great time for other makers to take a lead in the motor world. Looking at the future, it might be much less than 5 years to see brushless take over. Watch out for 2006. I know I'd much prefer brushless now that there is a standard.

#6 · (Edited)
I think they will now that there are set rules for them and set classes to race them in. Before this there were no rules for anyone to follow and very few places to race them. I'll bet by the first of the year the vast majority of tracks will have at least one brushless class. Once people see the advantage and that the classes are active it will draw more and more into it. By the end of 2005 you'll have more brushless racers then brushed racers.

G
#7 ·
Could Li-Poly Batts not far behind to be ROAR legal. Li-Poly will give the power for brushless..............Awesome.....The hobby seems to be goin in the right direction......Back to the future.....beam me up Scotty !!!!!!:wave:

Henry E.

#8 ·
Slider said:
That's like telling people don't buy Gas for a week the prices will come down.Folks just ain't gonna do that.
Bad example. This is more of a Ford/Chevy choice than have gas or don't. Either type motor/esc combo will move your race car without any other changes to it.

Hankster - If you want to see a few in action, come up to Rider's in Grand Rapids on saturday. There's at least 4 of us running them.

#9 ·
I think that this is a great step. I also would like to know how much influence Novak had on the way the sensors are wired. I think it is very convinent that the rules are made so only the Novak motor is legal.

I know that the one company that begins with a H (I can't remember the name) has a far better system but the snesor wires are not in the right order.

I've also heard that soem of the other companies are thinking about sueing because of the order of the sensor wires. Something about there is no industry standard so why should ROAR makes rules like that.

This is all stuff I have heard and would liek to see if others have heard stuff like that.

I also think that maybe it is time to take away some of the rules on the brushed motors as I am sure there is something like a 5 pole motor that will beat all others of something like that.

I'm not getting on anybody I would just liek to see what everyone thinks. After being at the Novak TC race earlier this year and seeing how long the cars can run I think the future is here and I would love to see what it has to bring.

#11 ·
Xpressman - I believe the Hacker system is sensorless (which the rules allow), so it wouldn't rule them out. (I thought we all tried to AVOID racing against hackers??:) ) They list their motors as having 7 or 8 turns, not 7-1/2, so I don't know if they're wound as a "Y" or a "delta".

Not subscribing to the conspiracy theory, I think they specified the sensor connector details to CREATE an industry standard, which would make it possible for a motor builder to make motors to run on anybody's "sensored" ESC, and ESC makers could connect to anybody's sensored motor. This way, a company could compete without having to build both motor and ESC. None of this really mattered when all we had was 2 wires, but now it does. Imagine how bad it would be if 7 different brands chose 7 different connectors, pinouts, polarities, etc. It's bad enough now that speed control manufacturers have to ship 3-4 different hoods for the receiver plug.

5-pole motors? Sounds like the old Astro-Flight ones, which I think had (illegal) cobalt magnets. Personally, I think we already see too many motor design variations with minimal benefits and maximum hype. Unless someone can find a way to get 10% more efficiency or 10x brush/comm life, I say leave it alone. (Cobalt or rare-earth magnets might just be a worthwhile change.)

#13 · (Edited)
Xpressman said:
I've also heard that soem of the other companies are thinking about sueing because of the order of the sensor wires. Something about there is no industry standard so why should ROAR makes rules like that.
Who said that off-road rims have to be 2.2"? If I made 2.5 rims could I sue ROAR? What about my motors with Colbat magnets? Or bodies that are longer (or shorter) then the rules allow? Hey, my batteries are too big (remember the first GPs?) so I think I'll sue! My "stock" motors have quad magnets... time to sue! Only believe half of what you hear ;)

I agree with creating the standard now before brushless really gets popular and many racer's equipment doesn't conform.

#14 ·
hankster said:
LI-Poly batteries can not yet supply the currents that RC cars require. I believe the last I read the maximum amp draw was 20 amps... over that and the results were "attention getting"!
I've seen lipo's power brushless trucks, and the speed was amazing. The runtime was in the 45 minute range. The guy who had one, has also built a custom 1/8 electric buggy out of a nitro 1/8 chassis. It might have been a MP 7.5, but I'm not sure.

#16 ·
A quick search comes up with this:

Thunder Power "Dynamic Power" LiPo Electric Flight Pack
8000 mAh, 2S4P cells (7.4V), 13 gauge wires
Rating: 5C Max Avg. Discharge (40 amps)
Output:7.4V Nominal, 8200mAh
Applications: Sub C replacement for 3D aircraft and helicopters
Dimension: 50mm x 125mm x 28mm (313gr)
Price: $179.00

#17 ·
I've said it before, i don't like the concept of brushless. Who wants to run with everyone having an equal motor. I take much more pride in tweaking a motor to run better than the next guy. Plus with the current brushless technology(i am pretty sheltered on what is really out there) it sounds like we are going to run 10t mod brushless motors?? Guess us oval Jockey's will have to go back to 6 cell!!

If the day comes when i have to run brushless, i'll probably watch the R/C world from the seat of a go-kart or something.

Say it ain't so!

Danny B.

#18 ·
I fly airplanes, electric of course. I am flying a GWS spitfire with a Himaxx 2015-5400 brushless motor, with a 3 cell 2100 lipo, I`ll tell you I flew it stock, with a speed 300 brush motor, and a 8 cell AAA, then I switched to the brushless. Its like I put nitro in it, the thing is incredible.

#19 ·
I've ben running brushed motors since 1988, and frankly I am ready for brushless. So I bought one. This past weekend I ran it at a two day race. I got to go and visit with all my buddies while they were cutting coms and soldering brushes. All I had to do was put in another battery and I was all set. My lathe, brushes, serrator, motor cleaner, etc etc sat in the box. Let me tell you it was great. And the rules at this track are Mod is Modified as in other than 'Stock'

Look this is going to happen, and maybe it will put some of the "FUN" back into racing and even attract some new folks. When something is simplified it usually becomes more fun, and this is why I do it.

Toy cars racing for bowling trophies!

Just lighten up and enjoy it.

#20 ·
all i am going to say is. i don't like it. idon't think i have ever seen a brushless win in oval? call me old fashion, but i want to see the guinipigs run them before i waste my money. man did everyone see all the brushless systems in factory drivers cars? no because they won't use them either. it's a pointless arguement. brush motors still have all the power!

#24 ·
The brushless motors are just starting out. They are new and need a lot of on track testing and refinement. I'd bet you see a several different motors by each manufacturer. If you think brushed is going to last, your going to be mistaken. Brushed will end up a low end "RTR" and racing will move to brushless. The thing will be not do you have a lot of high dollar tools to work on motors, but can you program it well. I think the greatest pressure to go to this will be TCO (total cost of ownership). With no brushes, com cutting, little or no motor cleaner, brush tools, etc., you sure can see its cheep to go brushless. This puts it more on driving than $ in the pits. That will usually equate to more racers at the track, a good thing.

#25 · (Edited)
ROAR 2004 addendum
Brushless Electric
Note 2 / Note 3
"An inductance reading is very easily obtained from a Brushless Motor without unsoldering or taking the motor out of the car."

What exactly is the range that it's supposed to read? I've seen two iterations of this rule and neither has mentioned a value.

#26 ·
I will admit I am clueless when it comes to brushless systems.
If another brushless motor comes out will you need another ESC to go with it?

I know in oval we pretty much average a different set of motors each year and usually need to buy a bunch to have a good select few.
Will brushless be the same way, motor of the month? cause if so that could get real expensive with the current prices?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.