Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
LTO
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I remove the bearing in the bottom of the can of the 13.5 or 10.5 motors? I have bearing removal/install tools, but how do i get to that bearing?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
jflack said:
How do I remove the bearing in the bottom of the can of the 13.5 or 10.5 motors? I have bearing removal/install tools, but how do i get to that bearing?
Jimmy,
You just remove the 3 short countersunk screws in the endbell(opposite pinion side) and the black cover pops off and the bearing is right there. I would also take the other endbell and the rotor out to make it a little easier.

Will you be able to make it up for the July race again?

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Another tip. When you take off the black cover don't pull it all the way off of the rubber boot that is over the sensor harness wires. Just pull it a little bit off and turn it to the side out of the way. Once it is off of that boot it is a nitghtmare to get it back over it.

·
LTO
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks, Thats good to know. I didn't want to start pulling stuff apart and destroy a motor.

Yes, I hope to make it up in July.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
That is the easy bearing Jimmy. Jesse and I had to beat the other one out so I could put ceramic in. We had myself, Jesse, and Andy Mac all working on it. It was not fun at all.

Joel White

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
i have yet to take my brushless apart.... do these take the same size bearings as a brushed motor or are they a different size?? thanks

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
J-Dub Racing said:
That is the easy bearing Jimmy. Jesse and I had to beat the other one out so I could put ceramic in. We had myself, Jesse, and Andy Mac all working on it. It was not fun at all.

Joel White
There is an somwhat easier way to get the bearings out of the shaft end of the endbell. Novak glues the bearings into the endbell (can't imagine why this is necessary). You need a bearing press (manufactured or improvised) but that is not all. Install the bearing press and put some tension on the bearing. Because of the glue, it is unlikely that you will get it to come free with just the bearing press. So then you support the bearing press (or just hang it in the air) and heat the endbell with a heat gun (or failing that a hair dryer). Aluminum expands more with heat than steel does and as the parts get heated, the endbell will be minutely separating itself from the bearing. In short order you will hear a "pop" as the bearing comes loose. Then you the bearing press to get it out the rest of the way.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Jeremy-

They are diff sizes. Lefthander or Windtunnel has a bering kit for them. Depends on what endbell you have as to what size bearing you need. BTW good luck at Iron Maximus this weekend if you go.

Joel White

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I ruined my bearing install/removal tool swapping bearings in my old endbell...now I have the bigger bearing and it isn't feeling the best so I want to swap it out but I have no tool and I have heard things about heating in an oven and such, any help on removing the large bearings that are glued in?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Vwal,

I did something like ta_man did. I didn't have a bearing press, so I got a socket about the size of the inner race to knock the large bearing out with. Heat the endbell, and you should be able to tap it out. Find a socket the same size as the outer race of the new bearing and you can tap it back in. If you clean the endbell, you should be able to almost press the new one in by hand. I know thats not the greatest way to install one, but it works. Just be careful not to damage the inner race or dust shields.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
a heat gun does wonders on the pinnion side bearing.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Never got time to try it out yet but I will get the motor pulled out before the next race and swap it out.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I used a wooden handle from a plunger that I cut to about 3-4 inches to tap the bearing in after heating the end with a heat gun. Lightly tap in the bearing and it should push in without too much trouble. This is my poor man's method. I haven't had any problems that I can tell. I replaced mine with ceramic. It works great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts