Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On several threads across hobbytalk and rctech there is arguing about brushless . Always having to buy the newest equipment to keep up . Be it a speedo of the month , the motor of the month , or the arm of the week . Brushless is adding up to be way more money than brushed motor racing ever costed me . Sintard arms at this track but not allowed at this one . Now looks like everywhere well have to use them . I see people putting new speedos and new brushless motors in the cars every month just to make a local Amain . Its killing racing at smaller tracks .

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
No offense but pretty much everyone is going to disagree with you. An arm is $30 and it will last you a year +. The BRL series is the most competitive brushless racing taking place anywhere and no one is putting in new motors for every race to make the mains and no one is replacing rotors every heat or any of the other junk you might have heard.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
thats news to me i hope it doesnt happen to us. from everyone ive talked to that races it weekly for the past couple years loves brushless. less hassle and less expensive then brushed racing once you buy it initially. i guess if you blow a speedo up then yes it could cost more but ive seen alot ofpeople blow up brushed speedos also. in the long run i do hope brushless doesnt ruin racing thats for sure.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Guns don't kill people...PEOPLE kill PEOPLE...

BRUSHLESS doesn't KILL RACING - PEOPLE KILL RACING

It's more the "MUST HAVE" idea...and the "HAVE TO OUT DO THE OTHER GUY" mentality...it's happened the 20+ years I've been into R/C

From Batteries, Motors, Chassis, Tires, Bodies...and some people would have you believe it's the RADIO CHANNEL or the STRAPPING TAPE, or what ever that makes them faster...and if racers BUY INTO IT...then THEY have to have THAT product too.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
darkwing said:
On several threads across hobbytalk and rctech there is arguing about brushless . Always having to buy the newest equipment to keep up . Be it a speedo of the month , the motor of the month , or the arm of the week . Brushless is adding up to be way more money than brushed motor racing ever costed me . Sintard arms at this track but not allowed at this one . Now looks like everywhere well have to use them . I see people putting new speedos and new brushless motors in the cars every month just to make a local Amain . Its killing racing at smaller tracks .
U R WRONG!

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
briano,

I don't know if I would go so far as to say...he's

how did you put it???

WRONG

I have heard some tracks struggling on whether to allow brushless or not, and not sure how and what to do with them...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you swttour . And belive it or not I dont hate brushless just the money part of it . I love not working my motors . And just working on my car that part is great . Something just wrong with all the money I am seeing thrown at it . Just to half to turn around and buy something else .

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
It's a shame it's hurting some tracks because it has really helped oval racing at many tracks and events all over the country
swtour said:
briano,

I don't know if I would go so far as to say...he's

how did you put it???

WRONG

I have heard some tracks struggling on whether to allow brushless or not, and not sure how and what to do with them...

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Cliff,

This is what I appear to see w/ B/L out our way just so far.

Late last year toward the end of the season I announced we'd have a B/L4300 class this season. We have a decent "Sportsman Modified" group, and several of the guys in that class mentioned they had planned to try the 4300 class. Along with those guys we've pretty much lost our 19t class in part due to all the 19t motor issues of last season and beyond..so MOST of those racers are also moving into the 4300 class.

We're going to have a really strong 4300 class for a good part of this season, but I'm afraid there will be several guys left scratching their heads wondering "What the HELL did I get myself in to" before seasons end.

I would like to add, WHAT EVER WE DO WITH BRUSHLESS - KEEP THE LID ON IT - KEEP THE RULES TIGHT - SONNY and the BRL has created a good starting point...LET'S NOT LET IT GET OUT OF CONTROL...or IMHO It IS going to get UGLY~

·
Registered
389 Posts
Brushless

We have been running brushless for a few years now. Dirt track sprints, and pan cars.
Sprints can run any motor and be fast. We have been to tracks in Illinois. All have one thing in common. You can run a 5800 with a car that is hooked up, and beat everyone that has the 5.5, or the 6.5. You don't have to have the latest and greatest.
We have run our 13.5 motors in our pan cars all year. I had my best results after 14 weeks of racing. The motor seems like it has plenty left in it.
In my opinion, brushless is the future of racing made easy. Sure like not having to cut motors every couple weeks.

Jason

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Brushed ....brushless what ever is raced I'll race it and for those who don't want to go brushless can get together and have a brushed motor class. Then there are racers like me and a buddy of mine. We each have a car for brushed and one for brushless ( well once I get my brushless system) and will race them when we can and where we can. I don't really see a problem with this once the dust settles we will more than likeey have classes for both motors. Those of us running brushless will be the ones grabbing ZZZZZ's between rounds and be all nice and rested for the round :D

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
darkwing said:
Thank you swttour . And belive it or not I dont hate brushless just the money part of it . I love not working my motors . And just working on my car that part is great . Something just wrong with all the money I am seeing thrown at it . Just to half to turn around and buy something else .
Be more specific on what these expenses are. I have been racing 13.5 all winter and haven't bought a thing. Well other than the motor in the first place, obviously. I've been performing decent without buying anything.

Had I been racing brushed I probably would have gone through multiple motors and easily 30 pair of brushes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have bought 5 diffrent 13.5 . One greatly out preforms the other . Upgrade after upgrade since the 4300 came out . New rotor every two or three weekends in the 4300 before the sinterd came out . 6 New speedo diffrent brands since this started back when 5600 and 5800 motors were first out . Why even keep changing the motors . I can understand once a year but do you guys realize how many changes {upgrades}the 4300 has had this year alone . First you have to find a gem 4300 motor after buying four or five to find one that stands out then you have to go mod. it out . And do the same if you want another one for a back. Not to mention stay up with all the latest upgrades that come out every 2-3 months .

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
darkwing said:
I have bought 5 diffrent 13.5 . One greatly out preforms the other . Upgrade after upgrade since the 4300 came out . New rotor every two or three weekends in the 4300 before the sinterd came out . 6 New speedo diffrent brands since this started back when 5600 and 5800 motors were first out . Why even keep changing the motors . I can understand once a year but do you guys realize how many changes {upgrades}the 4300 has had this year alone . First you have to find a gem 4300 motor after buying four or five to find one that stands out then you have to go mod. it out . And do the same if you want another one for a back. Not to mention stay up with all the latest upgrades that come out every 2-3 months .
Work on your car, you'll go alot faster then you'll ever be spending money looking for a "gem motor".

I bought 1 motor and 1 upgrade kit back in September, and have been running it all season!!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
darkwing said:
I haven't heard anyone complain of that issue with the 13.5s. If you have one that performs well why did you buy more? This the third carpet season people have been racing 4300 and there have been 3 rotors and one necessary endbell upgrade to use the two newest rotors. Those are the only upgrades. Novak has had two speedos the GTB and the SS/SS+. The GTB has been out a year and a half and there is nothing outperforming it.

I'm sorry but I haven't seen anyone I know to be a fast racer saying it is necessary buy a bunch of motors to hunt down a gem. Most believe the motors to perform very evenly although the sweet spot for gearing seems to vary a little from motor to motor.

Like I said before I have been racing the BRL, which is the most competitive BL racing going and I have seen none of these issues.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this stuff isn't happening where you race, just that it isn't necessary and the racers doing it are mind F'ing themselves.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Frank Ulbrik said:
I hear ya have to buy 10 or 15 and dyno them all to get a good one... :wave:
I am pretty sure that's what Sully does so he can try to get faster!!!...

Dave D

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
dangerousdave said:
I am pretty sure that's what Sully does so he can try to get faster!!!...

Dave D
Then it's been work'n cause Sully has been crazy fast lately, it sounds weird but he has been driving good too this season. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 121 Posts