Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I scanned these threads and it seems like most of the info is for 13.5 and 4300 motors with 4-cell packs. What would be the protocol for 6-cell mod on dirt? I was thinking 3.5 or 4.5 because I have gotten power down with 7 and 8 turn brushed motors. What does running 6-cell do to the temps of the ESC and motor? I was making runtime with 3800's last year - is it necessary to get packs with the longest runtime or are these motors more efficient?

Also, I know the motor would fit in EDM's and Late Models, but has anyone stuck one in a Sprint car??

·
Banned
3,250 Posts
I got both the 13.5 and the 4300 and seeings how I have a 6 cell tray, one day we're gonna put'er in the KSG and give it a shot. I think the 4300 is gonna be BALLISTIC!!! The 13.5 should be like a real hot stocker. I'm surprised more haven't tried this yet!

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
If you are looking for info on 6-cell brushless, you should look in the off-road forums. I believe that offroad racers are running brushless in 4wd buggies. If that type of application doesn't get the motor hot then nothing will.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow - 164 views and no useful information, so I will share what I have found out.

First off, hey Jerry, I've been racing dirt, mostly nitro. Come summer I'll race 6-cell sprint cars with mod motors as well. I'll have to catch an ORL race sometime.

Second - the choices become either Novak or the Mamba. The Mamba is sensorless and can be "notchy", but the off road guys told me that shouldn't be a problem in Oval. The Mamba system is less expensive. With both systems I was told to gear down as a starting point. The great news is they are real easy on batteries and I might be able to get away with using batteries as old as 3300's. Both the Novak 3.5 and Mamba 7700 are very powerful motors.

I haven't decided yet, but don't really need to until the end of April.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
We run 6 cell sprints on carpet with 5.5 and GTB and they are ballistic. The 4.5 was faster but not enough battery to last 4 minutes. Oval carpet with tight turns and a lot of grip will make the motor work harder!!!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The only testing I have done with 6 cell type voltage is with the 4300 and LiPo batteries (they are 8.37 volts when charged). Plus all of it has been done on carpet. But, given those differences, I found that the speed control did not get very much warmer. I did not run the heat sink or fan and it stayed about 10 degrees over the room temperature.

I am very surprised that dirt racers and TC’s are not switching over to LiPo’s quicker. These things are fantastic and you only need one pack to race and practice all day with no drop off in performance AT ALL.

Dirt racing may vary from the results that I have gotten so it would be wise to keep a close eye on the speed control temp. Until you can see what it actually does on the track. However, I can tell you that with pan cars, the 4300/LiPo setup is about as hot as the average person would want; it is much faster than 19t. I would compare it closer to about an 8 or 9 turn mod setup.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
First off, hey Jerry, I've been racing dirt, mostly nitro. Come summer I'll race 6-cell sprint cars with mod motors as well. I'll have to catch an ORL race sometime.

Tom,where are you running dirt at?I'll should be running the high banks at Trax 70.Hope to see ya out sometime.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ken - what batteries were you using? The dirt Oval I run on is about 240' driveline with flowing corners. I was told by the offroad guys that obviously use a lot of on and off throttle can get buy with 3800's

McLin - It's great to see your involvement in brushless and Lipo's. I remember your newsletter from when I raced pancars. There was always very useful info there. In my area in the dirt scene brushless is getting a so-so response. As far as Lipo's, there is much resistance.

Another point I should bring up is I will probably be running Custom Works rubber tires.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
We were running IB4200's on a 115ft paper clip. The 4.5 would draw so much it would dump the 4200 with about 30-45 seconds to go. We have direct drive sprinters on high bite carpet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts