Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you know when to cut the comm on your motor or how many brushes do you change to know when to cut the comm?

·
pancar schizophrenic
3,303 Posts
For racing, i saw guys cut the comm every round. I used to do it every race day or two. As far as brushes, i serrated them a few times before replacing them.
EVERY ROUND??? dang!! ya i dont miss those days at all, i LOVE BL/LIPO!!!
hhahaha sry...

·
Registered
4 Posts
To me the biggest influence was what brush I was running. Some of the best brushes performance wise would tear up a comm pretty quickly. On the other hand some of the more readily avalable performance brushes were not that bad and a comm would last though several events. Serratting did help things, it just seemed a fresh comm and well fit brush ran the best.

I figure this getting to be kinda of a lost art due to the neat brushless technology. i still have some brushed stuff to "burn" through though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i still run all the old school stuff! not quite fortunate to have any brushless stuff.. as far as turning the comm make sure you have a comm lathe and a very fresh bit.. now you dont have to turn the comm every round.. when you see the comm getting a medium amount of black ware on it its time to turn it... the heavier the ware on the comm the more proformance you will lose.. turning the comm to much will ruin it.. its like a VERY thin sheet of copper around it and if turning to much or go into it to heavy you will rip it all out...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts