Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked this up off of Ebay and was wondering if any of you guys know anything about it?
I've never seen it before :confused:...It's solid Bronze...

Any info on it's history would be Great!!!
Mcdee

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just saw it on ebay Chris and it's just been posted to me, so it's not in my hands yet...The seller said he got it off of a guy who had it for years but that's all he knows about it ???.So I'm on the hunt for its' origin.
He says it weighs about 3lbs, but I'll get an accurate reading when it arrives...
The guy I bought it from is from Crown Point, Indiana, United States...
Denis

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Mate, that is fantastic!! I wonder if there's any other monster kits done in bronze?
It'd have to be done using the lost wax method and I'd imagine it would have been incredibly labour intensive....
I'd be insuring the bloody thing!

Chris.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Good one for you McDee! I saw this too and somehow had the impression that it just had a bronze paintjob :freak:

I can only speculate about an origin. It was probably maybe one of those multi-talented hobby guys with an 'obsessive' love of the models made by a particular company or something like that. :wave:

Regards,
MattL

"Its not just and obsession its an adventure!'

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I was going to say that too! He painted it with a super thick heavy bronze paint so it weighs 3 pounds! LOL My best guess would be someone made molds from the plastic model and then cast it themselves. It would be hard to believe that Aurora or Polar Lights did it. Of course it could be the DREADED RECAST!!!

Bob K.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
He Denis,Bucwheat has a Aurora King Kong made of solid Brass on his site in the spotlight section with some info on it.You should shoot him a email maybe he knows something about this one you got a hold of here.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I used to own one just like it Denis!.. has it got the Aurora 1966 inscription on the base, i sold mine around 2 years ago for £110.. might even be my old one!.. the seller i got it off said it was just a bronze casting from the original kit?..

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Who was the seller you got it off, Ian? You may be able to solve the mystery!
Tell you the truth, it was from Ebay!.. they had the bronze figure and an original 1966 artist proof, i still have a picture of the artist proof from Aurora of the Forgotten Prisoner kit - it was over 2 years ago if my memory serves me correctly?.. i only had the figure a few weeks and re-sold it - and for a loss i might add!..

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used to own one just like it Denis!.. has it got the Aurora 1966 inscription on the base, i sold mine around 2 years ago for £110.. might even be my old one!.. the seller i got it off said it was just a bronze casting from the original kit?..
When I get the Bronze FP I'll post Photos of every detail...Did yours have the Aurora logo on the bottom?
...I asked the seller about the history he knows and he wrote this...:
..........i bought it just under 2 years ago and had it on a shelf for awhile and then stored it away in my closet for awhile, then i put it on ebay. that's it's history with me. the seller i bought it from was redivy16. they have an ebay store called the black broom. i'm pretty sure i remember the description saying it was one of a kind and they also had a bronze mummy statue, although not the aurora mummy, some other mummy. ................
...Ian, did your FP have any distinguishing marks on it?
Denis

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I wonder if it could be cold cast bronze. Resin with bronze powder mixed in. It would have been much easier to make the molds for that, and it would get some extra weight. Or it could be solid hot cast bronze. hmmm...

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll know when it arrives, but the guy who sold it to me said it was Metal, solid Bronze...Maybe it is the same one Ian had?...That.... or more than one exists.... I love these adventures:p
Denis

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Well scored Denis!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I can't wait to see some more detailed pics when it finally arrives. I'm wondering how it was cast. The ribcage area looks hollow so maybe the torso was cast seperately from the rest of the prisoner. I wonder if there's a join there?
You must have the best collection of FP kits in the world mate!!
Now if you can just track down a solid gold one...

Chris.:)

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Of course it could be the DREADED RECAST!!!
well even if Aurora or PL did it, it's almost certainly be a recast of some sort or another by its very nature. whether its 'cold cast' bronze or real bronze, theyd have had to have taken a RTV mold from an original kit and then cast it in either the 'cold cast' bronze or wax.
a clue to the actual method used will be its size and shape. the wax shrinks and distorts as it cools and hardens, so if its the same size as an original kit, then its almost certainly cold cast.
one exception to the recast idea: theres no reason the original molds for the styrene couldnt be use to cast a wax copy, and a bronze could be made from that.
one last idea: could it simply a kit that has been "bronzed" as they do woth babies shoes?

by the way, im SOOOOOOO envious of you for snagging that!

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well scored Denis!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I can't wait to see some more detailed pics when it finally arrives. I'm wondering how it was cast. The ribcage area looks hollow so maybe the torso was cast seperately from the rest of the prisoner. I wonder if there's a join there?
You must have the best collection of FP kits in the world mate!!
Now if you can just track down a solid gold one...

Chris.:)

Yeah, once I get my paws on it I'll give it a thourough once over and detail any findings...
....and you know me and variants....I'll have to compile a list of the different FP kits that have been made over the past 45 years :freak:
I'll find out it's composition and how it was made...I'll do a side by side comparison with an Original Aurora FP right here...Thanks Razorwyre and Chris for that input!
Hmmmm.I notice there is no FP sign...
Denis

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Denis - the bronze one i had, im convinced this is it!.. i have an original 1966 prisoner here and it was the same size, detail.. everything was the same, it had the Aurora logo on the base with 1966.. i presumed the original kit was molded and then cast this way.. then the broze was cast.. and it weighed a lot!.. it definatly was not plastic!..when i got mine it was very dirty.. i had to clean it up some what.. but the age of the sale was same as mine, and i aint seen another of these!.. it still might have my DNA on it!..lol

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
How's this for a hypothesis??
Maybe it was made in the US for someone at Aurora GB as a thankyou or as a special presentation piece.
I think maybe Ray's correct in that it might have been made by pouring wax into the original mold then being cast using the lost wax method.

Chris.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts