Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. i have an 11hp briggs engine that was on a roper i bought. it ran really good but then the rod broke and went threw the side and pushed the starter up. i really need this engine for another lawnmower and i took the starter and everything off and was wondering if it could be repaired? the hole isnt very big. is there any way to fix it? i can get a rod but i know you cant weld the hole.
thanks
melvin

·
Registered
649 Posts
No need to weld the hole, you can use an apoxy called JB Weld and attach the broken piece back into place. Take the motor apart and check to make sure the cam shaft is still intact. If it is, all you need is a new connecting rod and some seals.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks. one problem. there is only half of the peice that broke on the block. maybe the other is inside idk but i think it might have fell out when it broke. what do i do do i need a peice of aluminum from another block and fit it in there or what?
thanks
melvin

·
Registered
750 Posts
do you have the piece that fell out? if not, probably, but get teh same grade. open the side and look at the cam. if its sheared or something you'll need another one. check the pistont too, may have been cracked in half. just watch the oil after fixing the engne=)

PS did you take the governor out?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
And you run the risk of the entire engine flying apart.... there could be stress cracks all over the engine from that one little hole...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well ya thats what i was thinking but i dont really want to spen alot of money on this engine. i have half of the peice that broke on the block. i havent taken the engine apart yet so ill let you know what it looks like when im done. no i havent took the govener out it seems to move back and forth ok.
also when i got another lawnmower that has a 12hp briggs I/C engine. the rod broke in it as well but it didnt go threw the block. if it didnt goes threw the block could there be somewhere else weree it did brake?
thanks melvin

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree with bugman, don't jb weld it, it's trash, big safety issues if you try and fix that hole. Save the good parts off the motor and sell them or use them for spares. You need a new block at a minimum. You can sell those parts on ebay and get some cash towards a new or used motor.

·
Registered
750 Posts
yes sell the parts on e bay buy another egine, and the one that didnt go thru the block, it probably may have hurt the cam shaft, piston or someting open it and take a peek

1 - 11 of 11 Posts