Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Racers,

Sorry I’m running behind on finishing the entire BRL rules package. Below is the portion that pertains to the general car, body, battery, motor, electronics and class specifications for the 2006/2007 winter season. I’ve included a quick class summary at the top and detailed rules below.

Specific rules regarding the 2006/2007 BRL/BSR Brushless Oval Tour and format will be posted in the next few days.

I apologize if this is difficult to read on this forum. When posted on our website it will be a more eye pleasing version.

Sportsman Stock
Motor: Novak Super Sport 13.5 (NOV 3413) only.
ESC: Any Novak or LRP brushless speed control
Battery: (4-cell) IB, IP, or GP cells 4200mAh or less
Body: BRL Approved stock car body with spoiler only (.75" maximum). Rear of the body must remain intact (no cut outs)
Height: 4.25"
Weight: 41oz
Race Length: 4-5 Minutes

PRO 4300
Motor: Novak Super Sport 4300 (NOV 3401) only. .
ESC: Any Novak or LRP brushless speed control
Body: BRL approved stock car body with spoiler and wing (rear cut out ok)
Race Length: 4-5 Minutes

Pro Modified

Motor: Any BRL Approved Modified Motors
ESC: Any Novak or LRP or Castle Creations speed control
Body: BRL approved stock car body with spoiler and wing (rear cut out ok)
Race Length: 4 Minutes

General Rules

1.) Rules apply to classes within the BRL and are intended to provide guidelines for fair competition. In the event a rule is not covered in this package the BRL will have the right to adjust or amend rules at any time.

2.) Rules may be revised on an as needed bases

3.) No Person attending a BRL event will have any claim for damages, expenses, lawsuits, or otherwise against a promoter, track operator, BRL, it’s officials, agents, or employees, resulting from any damage to any car, personal injury, on monetary loss of any kind whatsoever. All attendants waive any claim they any have against a promoter, track operator, or the BRL, when they participate in any event being run under these rules.

General Chassis Specifications

Length: 20" Maximum
Width: 9.875 Maximum 7.25 Minimum
Height: 4.25" Minimum
Ride Height: 3/16"
Wheelbase: 11" Maximum 9" Maximum
Weight: 41oz Minimum

Wheels:
Diameter - 2" Maximum 1.625" Minimum
Width - Front 1.25" Maximum Rear 2" Maximum

Tires:
Diameter - 2.6" Maximum
Width - Front 1.25" Maximum Rear 2" Maximum

Single one piece rear drive axle only. (No independent rear suspension) Single speed only

General Body Rules

1.) Bodies used in the BRL are to resemble full sized NASCAR style stock cars.

2.) All bodies used must be on the BRL approved body list.

3.) To be approved new bodies must be submitted to the BRL. Bodies may be submitted throughout the season but must be available through distribution channels for a minimum of 30 days.

4.) Bodies should be neatly finished, painted and or trimmed. Windows which must remain clear. No objectionable or suggestive art, decals, or letter will be permitted.

5.) All car are required to run car numbers on the roof and both doors. Door number must be between the A and C pillars of the body. Numbers must be easily identifiable and must have a contrasting outline.

6.) Numbers may be up to three numerical digits or a combination of numeric number(s) followed by a letter. (Example 15B) Numbers are to be a minimum of 1.75" for a single digit and 1.5" two or three digit numbers letter should be no larger the .75". (The number 1 is not available for the 2006/2007 season. It will be reserved for the previous years BRL class champion)

7.) Wheel cut-outs: Maximum .5" over the tire diameter.

8.) Body should have know sharp edges, corners must be rounded.

BRL Approved Bodies

Bandit: BTP5000, BTP5001, BTP5002, BTP5003

McAllister: 224, 225, 226

Protoform: PRM1223-21, PRM1224-21, PRM1225-21

Windtunnel: 2214, 2235, 2241, 2222, 2242, 2210

Spoilers & Wings

1.) Only single element rear wings allowed

2.) Wings may be mounted to or through the rear window of the body or attached to the deck lid.

3.) Wing Chord or side dams may be no closer then .25" to the rear deck lid.

4.) Wing chord may not extend past the rear spoiler. Side dames make extend behind the spoiler but no more the 1". (Amended 10/12/06)

Wing Dimensions
Chord 3" Maximum
Width 6.5" Maximum
Side Dam Length 3.75" Maximum
Side Dam Height 2.0" Maximum

5.) Spoiler Maximum length .75" measured form the back edge of the rear deck lid.

6.) Spoiler not to extend beyond the width of the body.

Class Specific Body Rules:

Sportsman Stock

1.) Rear of the body must remain intact. (No cutouts). The rear of the body may not be cut any higher then the manufacturers molded cut line at the bottom of the rear bumper cover.

If a body does not have a bumper or manufactures cut line molded into it the distance from the ground to the bottom of the rear bumper cover is to be no greater then 1.5". (Amended 10/12//06)

2.) No wings allowed, spoiler only. Maximum length .75" measured form the back edge of the rear deck lid.

3.) Minimum height 4.25"

Pro 4300/Pro Modified

1.) Rear of the body may be cut out. (Wings and spoilers ok)

2.) Minimum height 4.25"

Battery Rules

1.) Batteries are to be sub-C sized NiMh rechargeable cells rated at 1.2 volts or less and are intended for R/C model car use.

Dimensions
Diameter: Maximum 23mm, Minimum 21.5mm
Length: Maximum 43mm Minimum 41.5mm (Maximum does not include center positive button, total overall length after charging or conditioning not to exceed 44mm.

2.) All cells must be BRL approved.

Approved Cells for the 2006/2007 Winter Season

East Power UHV4200 Balck & Red Shrink (Updated 10/22)

Great Power GP3700SCHR Rainbow Shrink

Infinite Power IP3800 Red/White & Silver Shrink
IP4200 Red/White & Silver Shrink

Intellect IB3800 Shaded Blue Shrink Wrap
IB4200 Shaded Blue Shrink Wrap
IB4200WC Shaded Blue Shrink Wrap

General Brushless Motor Rules

1). Sensored or sensorless motors are allowed unless specified by class rules.

2.) The motor has to be rebuildable. Ball bearings are allowed.

3.) If the motor is sensored:
It must use a six position JST ZH connector model number ZHR-6 or equivalent
connector with 6 JST part number SZH-002T-PO.5 26-28 awg contacts or equivalent.
Wire sequence must be as follows:
Pin #1- Black wire-ground potential
Pin #2- Orange wire-phase C
Pin #3- White wire-phase B
Pin #4- Green wire-phase A
Pin #5- Blue wire-temp control, 10 k Thermistor referenced to ground potential
Pin #6- Red wire-+ 5.0 volts =/- 10%

For clarification pin #1 is on the left hand side of the above connector with the wires
exiting the top of the connector and the plastic tangs that hold the contacts in the
housing are facing forward.

4.) Compatible sensored speed controls must use the six position JST header part number X-6B-ZRSMX-
TK (where the X denotes the style of the header), or equivalent.
The power connector has to be clearly marked A, B, C. on both speed control and motor.
A for phase A
B for phase B
C for phase C

Can
Overall maximum diameter is 36.02mm measured at whatever point yields the
maximum dimension, excluding solder tabs or lead wires. Overall minimum diameter is 34.00mm measured at whatever point yields the minimum dimension, excluding solder tabs or lead wires. Maximum length is 53.00mm measured from the mounting face of the motor to the furthest most point of the end bell, not including solder tabs, lead wires or original manufacturer’s logo or name. Minimum length is 50.00mm measured from the mounting face of the motor to the furthest most point of the end bell, not including solder
tabs, lead wires or original manufacturer’s logo or name. Motor mounting holes must be on 1.00- inch (25.40mm) centers.

Stack/Stator
Stack minimum length 19.30mm, maximum 21.00mm. Stack inside diameter minimum 12.50mm, maximum 16.00mm. If a stack is used then it must be continuous. The laminations have to be one after the other without anything in between. The thickness of the stack plates is 0.35 +/- 0.05mm. All laminations must be of the same material.

Winding
Only three slot (phase) “Y” wound stators are permitted. No delta wound stators allowed. Only circular (round) pure copper wire permitted. No turn limit.

Rotor
Shaft diameter must be 0.125 inches (3.175mm). Only one piece, two pole Neodymium or Ferrite magnetic rotors are permitted. Magnet minimum length 23.00mm, maximum 27.00mm. Magnet minimum diameter 12.00mm, maximum 15.50mm.

All motors must have the original manufacturer’s logo or name molded into the end bell.

Motors must be available thru major distribution channels for a minimum of 60 days prior to being legal for BRL competition.

5.) No hybrids allowed. (mixing of parts from approved brushless motors unless otherwise specified) \
6.) The maximum retail price of a modified brushless motor shall be $129.00

Approved Motor List

Sportsman Stock

1.) The Novak Super Sport 13.5 Stock Brushless Motor (NOV3413) is the only approved motor of this class.

2.) Material may not be removed form the can or end bell for the purpose of increased ventilation or in an effort to lighten the motor. A single hole may be drilled in the back end cap for the purpose of oiling the rear bearing, the hole may be no larger then 3/8" (Amended 10/22)

Pro 4300

1.) The Novak Super Sport 4300 10.5T Stock Brushless Motor (NOV3401) is the only approved motor of this class.

2.) Material may not be removed form the can or end bell for the purpose of increased ventilation or in an effort to lighten the motor. A single hole may be drilled in the back end cap for the purpose of oiling the rear bearing, the hole may be no larger then 3/8" (Amended 10/22)

Legal updates for this motor include

NOV5905 4300/5800 Motor Bearing & End Bell Replacement
NOV5906 4300/5800 Motor Replacement Rotor
NOV5908 Velociti Nickel-Plated Sintered Rotor may be used as a replacement for the stock rotor.
NOV5922 SS Brushless Motor Upgrade Kit

NOV5910 HV Motor Bearing & Endbell Replacemant
NOV5919 Velociti Ribbed Bearing & Endbell Replacement
NOV5920 Velociti 5.5/6.5 Bearing & Endbell Replacement
(Amended 10/12/06)

Pro Modified

(Note: Modified is open to all brushless motor manufactures providing they meet BRL legal motor specifications. Motors may be added to this list throughout the season.)

Approved Motors Include

Novak:

NOV3400 SS Brushless motor (5800) 8.5T
NOV3003 Velociti 3.5R Racing Motor
NOV3004 Velociti 4.5R Racing Motor
NOV3005 Velociti 5.5R Racing Motor
NOV3006 Velociti 6.5R Racing Motor
NOV3007 Velociti 7.5R Racing Motor

NOV5908 Velociti Nickel-Plated Sintered Rotor ( May be used as a replacement in any Novak Velocitit series motor.)
NOV5919 Velociti Ribbed Bearing & End Bell Replacement
NOV5920 Velocity 5.5R, 6.5R Bearing & End Bell Replacement

Reedy/LRP:

ASC110 Neo-One 1 Star 8.5T
ASC111 Neo-One 3 Star 6.5T
ASC112 Neo-One 2 Star 7.5T
ASC113 Neo-One 4 Star 5.5T

General Electronic Speed Control Rules

1.) Electronic Speed Controls must be available thru major distribution channels for a minimum of 60 days prior to being legal for BRL competition.

2.) Production Electronic Speed Controls Only

3.) The BRL views Electronic Speed Controls (ESC) as an impact item. Although we encourage new manufactures to get involved the BRL feels it is in the best interest of the racers to monitor and control developing ESC technology as it relates to the brushless motor segment. To keep cost form spiraling out of control in the Sportsman Stock and Pro 4300 classes we have approved the following speed controls for use in the 2006/2007 winter season.

Sportsman Stock/Pro 4300

Novak:
NOV3205 Super Sport Brushless ESC
NOV1705 Super Sport Plus Programable Brushless/Brush ESC
NOV1710 GTB Programable Brushless/Brush ESC
NOV1711 GTB Spread Spectrum Brushless/Brush ESC
NOV1714 GTB 4-Cell Brushless/Brush ESC
NOV1715 GTB 4-Cell Spread Spectrum Brushless/Brush ESC

LRP:
LRP 80500 Sphere Brushless ESC
LRP 80700 Sphere Competition Brushless

(Note: The BRL will review Impact parts for approval in April and September of each year. New ESC’s will be evaluated over this season and may gain approval for the Sportsman Stock and Pro 4300 in April 2007)

Pro Modified

(Note: Pro Modified is open to all brushless ESC manufactures providing they meet BRL General specifications. ESC’s may be added to this list throughout the season.)

Novak:
NOV3205 Super Sport Brushless ESC
NOV1705 Super Sport Plus Programable Brushless/Brush ESC
NOV1710 GTB Programable Brushless/Brush ESC
NOV1711 GTB Spread Spectrum Brushless/Brush ESC
NOV1714 GTB 4-Cell Brushless/Brush ESC
NOV1715 GTB 4-Cell Spread Spectrum Brushless/Brush ESC

LRP:
LRP 80500 Sphere Brushless ESC
LRP 80700 Sphere Competition Brushless

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Sonny,
I noticed that the Upgrade kit NOV5922 is not on the list, was just wondering if there is a reason why? I know lots of people are currently using this.

Thanks,
Hays Jr

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haysreeling said:
Sonny,
I noticed that the Upgrade kit NOV5922 is not on the list, was just wondering if there is a reason why? I know lots of people are currently using this.

Thanks,
Hays Jr
Oversight on my part, added and legal for Pro4300

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Sonny, I have another question concerning the legal updates for the 4300 class. NOV5908 Velociti Nickel-Plated Sintered Rotor is legal but NOV5919 Velociti Ribbed Bearing & End Bell Replacement and NOV5920 Velocity 5.5R, 6.5R Bearing & End Bell Replacement are not? The reason I ask is because the only way to use the Sintered Rotor is to have the large bearing. Using the above endbells would be cheaper than buying NOV5922 SS Brushless Motor Upgrade Kit and you wouldn't have the extra rotor. Assuming you don't already have the Upgrade kit.

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Z-Main Loser said:
Sonny, I have another question concerning the legal updates for the 4300 class. NOV5908 Velociti Nickel-Plated Sintered Rotor is legal but NOV5919 Velociti Ribbed Bearing & End Bell Replacement and NOV5920 Velocity 5.5R, 6.5R Bearing & End Bell Replacement are not? The reason I ask is because the only way to use the Sintered Rotor is to have the large bearing. Using the above endbells would be cheaper than buying NOV5922 SS Brushless Motor Upgrade Kit and you wouldn't have the extra rotor. Assuming you don't already have the Upgrade kit.

Derek you make a good point. I will look into it and let you know.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sonny the ribbed endbell is lightened on the inside. it has six holes that lighten the endbell. had my 3.5 apart. using this endbell would void item 2 in the 4300 section of the rules. "no lightening of the end bell"

Kevin

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
wildman said:
Sonny the ribbed endbell is lightened on the inside. it has six holes that lighten the endbell. had my 3.5 apart. using this endbell would void item 2 in the 4300 section of the rules. "no lightening of the end bell"

Kevin
The ribbed endbell is about a tenth of an once lighter and all the lightening is done by Novak. I understand the ruling of no lightening of the endbell so no one does it themselves but what about if it is an OEM part from Novak?

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
One other question on motors -- I know racers that have replaced the bearings in the motors with ceramic bearings.

Will that be legal for the 13.5 motors ? for the 4300 motors ??

Thx.

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TeamGoodwrench said:
One other question on motors -- I know racers that have replaced the bearings in the motors with ceramic bearings.

Will that be legal for the 13.5 motors ? for the 4300 motors ??

Thx.
Yes you may replace the bearings.

It would be very difficult to tech for ceramics also the gain is minimal to non existent over the standard version.

·
LTO
3,079 Posts
Spoilers & Wings

Why should there be a rule from running my wing as low as I can get it? I understand you don't want Dragster style wings, but a seperate wing as low as you can get does really do the dragster look...

4.) Wing side dam and or chord may not extend past the rear spoiler.

Did you mean the Front or rear of the side dam and chord?

Jimmy

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jflack said:
Spoilers & Wings

Why should there be a rule from running my wing as low as I can get it? I understand you don't want Dragster style wings, but a seperate wing as low as you can get does really do the dragster look...

4.) Wing side dam and or chord may not extend past the rear spoiler.

Did you mean the Front or rear of the side dam and chord?

Jimmy
Hi Jimmy,

3.)This rule is consistent with other organizations. I don’t want the side dams laying on the deck lid

4.) No portion of the rear wing may extend beyond the spoiler.

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sportsamn Stock drivers the body rules have been updated. See below.

1.) Rear of the body must remain intact. (No cutouts). Distance from the ground to the bottom of the rear bumper cover to be no greater then 1.5".(Amended 9/21)

·
Registered
644 Posts
i have notice that the 13.5 motor have two different end bells and 2 different armatures. one is the old style small bearing endbell and original armature design, and the other is the large bearing endbell with a machined armature. is this going to be a problem ?

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mbeach2k said:
i have notice that the 13.5 motor have two different end bells and 2 different armatures. one is the old style small bearing endbell and original armature design, and the other is the large bearing endbell with a machined armature. is this going to be a problem ?
Are you saying they are shipping this way. I don’t think that is correct but I will check with Novak when they return form the Vegas race on Monday. My understanding is they are all shipping with the standard rotor small bearing.

My guess is you may have seen someone who added the large bearing end bell and new Sintered rotor. I’ve not had a chance to test this combo in a 13.5 but in 4300 testing it did not show any performance advantage.

I’ll find out and let you know.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i talked to novak tech support yesterday about the same thing, there was some that got out with the tan rotor and small bearing end bell, they have corrected it,all new 13.5 motors now come with large bearings and dark colored rotor, they also told me to send the odd stlye to them and they would replace it(motor) free.

·
Registered
387 Posts
mbeach2k said:
All the motors we have on the shelf have the large bearing and the updated rotor.

Sonny, you have a pm.

Tim Ski

·
Registered
644 Posts
both the motors i bought from tower have small bearing and old style rotor, but i have seen others with large bearing and machined rotor

1 - 20 of 123 Posts