Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a few packs I did this too and worked awesome. If you have a pack that won't charge or shows real low voltage when charging, one of the cells is at 0 volts. Find the dead cell and take a charged pack of batteries and tough the positive of the charged pack to the positive of the dead cell, and same for negative. It will shoot some voltage back in the dead cell and bring it back to life. I have had 4 packs now I have done this too and it works. 1 pack has been sitting in my garage for months and I did it tonight and BAM it is back and one of my best.... good luck!

·
Registered
662 Posts
i have found thru numerous tests that packs with low voltage and run time that has already lostthe run time in it say around 390 to 410 love to be dead shorted. brought packs that were crappy to around 400rt which they were and avg v. from 4.90 to 4.97- 5.00 and i.r. from 7.0+ to around 6. i have 10 packs that i've done this to almost 3 months ago and there my best packs and there 7-8 months old. i really like this dead short thing for packs that have already lost run time it works great. i have tested dead shorting new packs with insane results but you lose 40-60 seconds run time but these packs cycle out to 5.03 to 5.05 on my gfx at 35 amps and i.r.'s are in the low 5's. anyone who has low voltage low rt packs try this. you'll really like it and you'll notice the discharge curve stays stronger through out the run.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Mike if I understand you correctly your talking about using a charged 4-cell pack to "jumpstart " the ONE dead cell in the problem pack? similar to jumpstarting a car battery?
I havent been able to race as much as I,ve wanted to lately ( once since November :( ) and I have two almost new packs that are acting this way.
Thanks for the Idea hope it works!! If not I guess I,ll tear the two packs down to make hopefully one goodun.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that is what it does... I used a 6cell. Sometimes you have to jump a few times. You will get some sparks but nothing big. Amazing... I had 3 come around. WHHEWWWWWWWW!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it should...

also cool trick found out tonight while working in the garage was a good use for the old star snap pieces from Associated micro shocks. My box has a ton of them in there... anyway they make great spacers for your body posts - and you can snap them in without unscrewing your posts all the way off (since they are opened on one side).

Also another good trick is mark your body post tops with a silver Sharpie so you can see the hole from up top when trying to line up your body and screws.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
i like the tips about the battery and bringin cells back to life. pretty cool. Thunder ive been doin the sharpie thing for awhile it does help out alot. ill have to try the star clip thing out for myself but it is a good idea. thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
when you put the button head screws in the body and put a small red "o" ring on the threads to retain the screw it works also......... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
There ALIVE, There ALIVE

Mike, tried your idea out on my two suspect packs this morning, appears that it WORKED both packs cycled out at the numbers I hoped to see :) Real test will be this weekend at the Spectacular Race. THANKS!!!

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
I have some 3800's I would like to revive, I think I will give them a shot of juice and see what happens.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Old Victor Eng Hi-Iq/Super Iq chargers had this feature built in for reversed cells. It would hit the cell at 20 amps or so for a few seconds at a time until it read positive voltage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts