Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if those Bright Vision rear loader kits are still available somewhere?

I bought 1 a while back on ebay for less than $20.. they came as chrome, and I colored mine red

Just wondering because of this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261646547819?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Maybe people don't know that this is all this is... someone just put the kit together, didn't even bother to change the color... or is it just because these kits are all gone now?

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
huh.. well this thing went for over $120. I have to believe the bidders knew this was not an original. Many different bidders too.

here's the one I built and colored... almost makes me want to throw it up there...

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
Yeah, somebody paid way more than I would have. Just the fact that it was chrome gives away that it is a repro. But like you say, maybe the kits aren't available any more.

Yours is very nice, BTW!

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx!

All the kits came chrome... which makes a nice base to do translucent colors... I experimented and and what you see is red food coloring mixed with Future floor wax in many coats... looks pretty close to spectraflame red, altho it's little off

·
Registered
325 Posts
Anyone know if those Bright Vision rear loader kits are still available somewhere?

I bought 1 a while back on ebay for less than $20.. they came as chrome, and I colored mine red

Just wondering because of this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261646547819?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Maybe people don't know that this is all this is... someone just put the kit together, didn't even bother to change the color... or is it just because these kits are all gone now?
Surprizingly this Rearloader Beach Bomb in the link is NOT a BRIGHTVISION - But Another Fake/Copied Rearloader - some call S.A.L. .

A link to Brightvision own page to show some of the differences between the two -
Letters on base - clearness of windows - for example.

http://www.brightvisionstory.com/How_To_Spot_A_Non-BV.html

On the base if you check the lettering the "O" in "Foreign" is spelled with a "D" and "MATTEL INC." is spelled "MATTEL ING". Windows are clear.

Anyone in need of a replica of a RearLoader Beach Bomb - Hot Wheels makes them - HWC/RLC items - and they're cheaper on Ebay then this fake.

At least you could make a case for a Brightvision purchase in my mind if you were going for the story of replica Not just for the casting.
And Brightvision do sell in that price area - These DO NOT go that high usually.

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow. had no idea the continuing saga behind these.
Yeah, that one and mine are definetly the S.A.L. versions.

I wonder 2 things;...

Was Mattel OK with Brightvision making theirs?

What does the base on the RLC issued ones look like?

Now that I have the fake one, probably gonna seek out one of the RLC ones on evil-bay, to get for comparison and conversation piece

·
Registered
325 Posts
wow. had no idea the continuing saga behind these.
Yeah, that one and mine are definetly the S.A.L. versions.

I wonder 2 things;...

Was Mattel OK with Brightvision making theirs?

What does the base on the RLC issued ones look like?

Now that I have the fake one, probably gonna seek out one of the RLC ones on evil-bay, to get for comparison and conversation piece
In my understanding - although I CANNOT find support for it Online - is - I believe Mattel went after Bright Vision on the legal basis of the "Hot Wheels" and "Mattel" Name/Trademark on the Bright Vision base. This brought about the blank base Bright Visions.

Since Bright Vision Rear Loader only sold for 18 months according to their own site and it doesn't say anything about why they stopped - It is one of those unprovable theories whether Mattel stopped them or not.

One thing to say for Bright Vision is that they were originally sold as Replicas/Customs NOT as Originals - This happened afterwards by the Beach Bomb owners or those they sold too.

I have no idea if Mattel went after the S.A.L. RLBB producer.

The RLC/HWC Reproductions are all panel sided - No side windows like a VW Bus.

They are also made in China.But at least you get what you pay for - unlike some less then savory sellers - like above item - "I have had these since I was a kid!" and "Vintage" is misleading at best - I'm sure others could/would use a different word for that.

I'd suggest an Original HW Redline Beach Bomb as a comparison piece for bases - If you aren't looking for Mint you may find something in an acceptable price range - I did.

My Surfboards are NOT original redline era surfboards But came from a "1994 Vintage Series II" Deora.

There are other redline models that have been reproduced by people other then Mattel, Bright Vision and Muky.

Some could deceive the less informed or experienced collector.

Besides the RLBB - the Superfine Turbine and the Cheetah have been reproduced for sure.

An Olds 442 reproduction by somebody is mentioned on the Bright Vision site but no other info is given.

NUMBER ONE REASON TO COLLECT DIECAST : ENJOYMENT !!!
MAY WE KEEP ON ENJOYING !!!

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
neat info.
also found this on youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFnWFWC7cuQ
Pablo, thank you for sharing that video on a real BBRL! It showed me somethings that bolster my theory on why Bright Vision went out of business. I've talked with the former owner of Bright Vision about the buses but they have never said why they stopped making them. My theory is that Mattel came to an agreement with Bright Vision to stop making their buses and to give up the tooling as well and nothing would come of it. Because shortly after Bright Vision stopped production of their Beach Bomb Mattel started making theirs around that same time. The reason why I say this is because I own two Bright Vision Beach Bombs. An Alfa text base and an Omega Text base. I also own the three Beach Bomb Too's that Mattel produced. My theory is that Mattel used the Bright Vision tooling and changed up the base by taking the D's around the four openings for the suspension and changed the wording to say Beach Bomb Too and copy right 1969, 2002 and made in china. But when Paul (in the video you shared) said that on the Bright Vision Beach Bomb's had a divider between the surf boards inside the casting, I just looked and they do have that divider but so does the Mattel Beach Bomb Too's have that same divider! So I think it's safe to say that Bright Visions tooling was to good for Mattel for them to keep producing the Bright Vision buses. I'm just glad that we got them for the 18 months that we did!

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hemikuda... don't know if you've been around lately, but people have stopped using Photobucket because of the changes they made, something about having to pay for things now? (don't know, cuz I've never used it)

..but I have got 2 notifications on posts that you replied to and we can't see any of yer pics... it just says "go to Photobucket and upgrade for 3rd party hosting"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts