Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up a Cadet push mower for $15. Said all it needed was a carb kit. Well he LIED!!! I cleaned the carb, replaced the primer. I have removed the head, lapped the valves. The exhaust valve was slightly tarnished. After lapping it had a nice clean surface. It will run but is hard to get it to start. It will barely run and pop at times, then it will run fine. Compression is 60-65psi. Can these over head valves be adjusted or is it more a ring issue.
Thanks
Model # 122602- 0203 E1

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
If you had the valves out, you had to take the rockers off. The adjustment is done with the nut that holds down the rocker. There should be a set screw inside the nut to lock it in place. Proper lash for you model is:

Intake: .004" Exhaust: .006"

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
30Year, I noticed that the intake valve has a valve seal under the valve spring, but the exhaust valve does not have one. Is there supposed to be one under the exhaust valve? I adjusted the lash and have about 80psi compression, but it is puffing out blue smoke. The cylinder walls look good. I did not see a valve seal for the exhaust valve on a parts diagram, so wondering if there is supposed to be one.
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts