Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 5hp vertical shaft engine on a push mower that i am trying to fix for my grandfather. I cleaned the carb and gas tank, shear pin is intact, spark plug has plenty of spark. I can keep it running if i hold a rag with gas on it on the carb intake but when i don't do that and turn it over it starts for about 3 seconds then stops. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Jake.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Fuel is not making it through the carburetor. Carburetor most likely has some restriction in it that you did not get out when you cleaned it.

What is the model type and code number off of your engine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i cleaned the carb again today and got every spec of dust off it. I blew out all the holes with an air compressor and still nothing. I tightened up the valves and it ran a bit longer but still died. Ill get the numbers tomorow when i go back out. its got a cap on the end where if removed you can see the valve springs and end of the valves and its on a toro push mower if that helps a little more to identify it. thanks for the reply,
Jake

·
Registered
750 Posts
what is the model number? does it start and run for 3 seconds each time you pull it? like it runs... 3 secs later stops, pull... runs... ect? if iit does that the carb may be too lean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, i got the numbers...
it didnt say which was what but here they are.
VMG6 and 211087
Hope this helps,
Jake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i realized just now that it is not a briggs and stratton engine, it is accually a "Toro"... still doesnt run any better.
Any help would be appreciated,
jake

·
Registered
750 Posts
Toro is the manufacturer of the frame, toro just uses a briggs engine. check diphram, and pickup tubes. is there a fuel/air mixture screw on there?

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
jake519 said:
I tightened up the valves and it ran a bit longer but still died.
A VMG 6 engine shows to be a 2-Cycle Suzuki engine. Which valves did you tighten up?

Check for play on the crankshaft top and bottom, a leaking seal could make it run like it had a carburetor problem.

Be sure to use 2cycle oil mixed in the fuel with this engine.

Do you happen to have the model and serial number off of the mower?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts