Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I just recently got interested in small engines. After I started learning a bit about them, I was hooked! I don’t know a whole lot yet – just what I’ve read so far – but I’m anxious to learn more. I selected as my first project an old dejected Briggs and Stratton I’ve had for years…

It is a model 121702-3132. It has been sitting for several years in storage and did not have the fuel drained or any other storage procedures done on it before it was stored. I drained off the stale fuel, and changed the oil, spark plug and air filter. But I wasn’t surprised when it still didn’t start.

After several pulls, the carburetor started spitting up some gas. I pulled the plug, and it was soaked. So I tested the plug for spark – and it was sparking fine. So I thought that maybe the carb needed cleaning. After some research, I removed it (part 494216), unscrewed the screw at the bottom of the bowl (part 955) and cleaned it really well, and then sprayed the rest of the carb really well with carb cleaner and let it sit. (I did not feel I knew quite enough about it to take it apart at that time).

After I replaced the screw (being careful not to over tighten it), I reattached the carb. When I hooked up the fuel line to the intake on the carb though, it just started to give forth great quantities of fuel. Not from the screw, or leaking around the fuel line, but from within the body of the carb (so it was running out of the opening that the air filter would be bolted).

At this point, I’m thinking ‘screw it’ and I want to take it apart and poke around in there. But I can not for the life of me figure out how to get the bowl off. There don’t seem to be any screws holding it on, and the bowl itself doesn’t seem to unscrew.

Does anyone know how to get the bowl off this type of carb?

Also, assuming I can get the carb fixed, and it still won’t start, how do I check for compression (I’ve read on here that might cause it not to start too)?

Sorry for the long post - I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Paul here's a parts breakdown of your engine 121702-3132:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/ipl/pdfs/100/MS6592.pdf

The bolt on the bottom of the bowl is what holds the bowl on the carberator. The bowl is probably stuck to the gasket, so take a screwdriver handle and lightly tap around bowl to remove.

You probably have a float stuck in the down position by rust or a bad needle and seat.
Taking carb apart and cleaning with carb cleaner and compressed air, then
installing a carb rebuild kit would be a good idea.
Briggs doesn't give out any compression specs. If you run a compression test and have 80 to 100 psi it should run ok.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice tommyj3!
You were right on the money. Used the screwdriver as suggested, and it popped right off. A little inspection revealed dirt on the sides of the needle (part 134) which appears to be what was keeping it from sealing. Cleaned it off with some Sea Foam and reinstalled it - put a shot of Sea Foam in the chamber and the throat and it started right up! No more fuel leaking! Runs like a champ now.

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts