Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up a 8hp briggs and stratton from a old tar trailer engine ran off propane.....put the gas carb on it and it ran fine.... thinking about putting it on a go-cart or mini bike...

just trying to figure out what this "gear case" is called and or what it does?
and do i have to change this spirial shaft or can i just weld a sprocket to it???

any help is much appriciated

thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so is it worth anything? does the gear case have to come off before putting on a cart or scooter???

·
Registered
750 Posts
it all depends.. gear reduction means that u dont need to have like a 1:6 reduction.. it probably needs to be kept on, if you dont want it you should change the shafts and get another oil pan. but the gear reduction reduces MPH but gives alot more torque... i would keep it. gear reduction is usually more expensive than regular engines, and since its an 8hp its probably more xpensive than a non-gearreduction engine. if the "gear case" comes off the shaft probably has to be changed to another type... first keep the gear reduction on there and make sure it runs, take off the sprocket and put a clutch on, then see if it wil mount on the minibike frame

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gave up on making it into a cart motor....so if i were to sell it whats a good price for it???
it runs good on both propane and fuel sooo...

·
Registered
75 Posts
the propane carb can be worth more than the rest hang on to it for now
get the whole rig running a workin engine is worth more than a none running parts engine

·
Registered
750 Posts
get it running then check ebay and see if they got any gear reduction engines, and see how much they sellin for. carb worth mostlike mad said. get it working, check ebay or something and thens sell

1 - 9 of 9 Posts