Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a couple questions for you regarding a briggs vertical shaft mower engine that is an 8hp and has the magnetron ignition. It was built in 1984.

1. Will it run with 55psi of compression?

2. With a no spark condition, after replacing the spark plug, the briggs repair book says that all there is to replace is the ignition module that mounts outside the flywheel. Do engines with the magnetron ignition not have points and condensor to replace? Anyone have a good unit to sell?

Thanks.

Justin

·
Registered
750 Posts
55PSI,NO. 80/75PSI is good for an 2/3hp briggs, but 55PSI is no good, ya wont get it started no matter what. check the heat gasket, tighten the head bolts and check valve clearance. and yes, replacing the magnetron will probably fix it, unless bad plug or something

·
Registered
750 Posts
probably 80+, not sure, but i think 80+ will get it started. on my 3 hp briggs i created from scratch and spare parts, you could easily just pull the rope and it seems like no compression, after i finally got it started, it like gained tons of compression

·
Registered
750 Posts
no. but you can try. on smokstak.com i found that some guys found a junked edger with a 3 hp on it. no compression ,they decided to hook it up to a electric motor and blow it up... amazingly it started to run, at full speed!!!! no oil either! and when it finally died of no gas, it had over 80+ compression.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts