Hobbyist Forums banner

briggs 3 hp smokes black at accelerating

783 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  mattv 
#1 · (Edited)
briggs 3 hp smokes black at accelerating. it coughs, then accelerates smoothly up. i have not accelerated it to max. the noise and speed at half of the throttle would scare you. why smoking? dont use oil. smoke is BLACK

i bought the engine for restoration. the only things left in the engine that i havent replaced: block cam rod cylinder muffler valves springs crankshaft sprocket-from-tiller head ,bolts and gaskets. it is resurrected from many parts... craftsman 6.5hp spark plug.... used 3 hp carb and tank in perfect cond.... recoil from a 2 hp briggs.... air cleaner from 2 hp.... and alot more. it usually starts in less than 3 pulls, probably either 1/2 pull or 1 pull when warm. any suggstions why smokes

#6 · (Edited)
Good place to start is 1 1/2 turns out. With engine running at high speed turn high speed needle in till you hear the engine sputter, then turn out counting turns ( engine will smooth out ) keep turning out till it sputters again. Divide the number turns out by 1/2 and turn needle in that amount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.